The new advanced radar

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by JacksonNL, January 18, 2014.

?

New advanced radar

1. Good hold it like this

25.6%
  2. Bad its view is too minimized

40.2%
  3. Not good nor bad i like the way Uber thinks but there need too balance it more

32.9%
  4. No oppinion

1.2%
  1. JacksonNL

JacksonNL New Member

hi all,

i want too discuss the "advanced radar"

i think its the new patch made him a bit too low quality you cant see the planet any more and all are now radar dots instead of seeing them the old radar was kind of OP but this is ridicules low quality

my opinion is that it should get more view range and fiscally see the enemy units, see what kind of units they are. then too see them as dots. My suggestion is too make him like the "old advanced radar" but with the view of 1 side (where the satellite is) of the planet instead of the full planet like the old 1.

please share your opinion here :)
    ace902902 likes this.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Hello, welcome to the forums! This is a hot topic right now, so you should definitely check out the other threads on adv. radar too.
    I'm of the opinion that no radar should let you see a whole planet, and I don't even agree with any radar showing you what type of units are knocking about out of vision radius.
    I like the idea that advanced radar has a slightly longer range, and that's about it. Encourages you to scout more, use multiple radar towers (which, if undefended are easy pickings) and be creative with your attacks.
    Anyway, there are lots of people with stronger opinions (not to mention, more informative ;) ) than me on this topic, so I'll leave it to them to go into greater details about the pros and cons.
    Lastly, don't forget the game is still being balanced, so depending on general consensus, may get beefed/nerfed/unicorned as necessary.
    Grazgul likes this.
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I personally LOVE the no vision satellites now.

Proper scouting should be in the hands of the main body of the game, land, air and naval.

And even then the idea that a player can escape my grasp on a planet to hide and plot is fantastic to me, and should really be a key feature to invading enemy planets.
  4. JacksonNL

JacksonNL New Member

i also don't like it too see the whole planet ( its not realistic too see a side where no satellite is but with the satellites of today you can see enemy movement clearly not as dots so i think the range should be 35% around the satellite compare too planet where it is on.
  5. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

I think the adv radar should have a little bit bigger los and speed. It moves way to slow to make it useful as a spy satellite..
  6. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

The problem i hate with the radar isnt its view cone / range, its the way orbital works, that it just sits there, and thus moves slowly, when someone in orbit would move super fast.

Just giving you short bursts of information at random intervals, instead the current is a slow moving snail that never gets anywhere, in a time fashion :p
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

To be totally honest I'm not against what they have here.
    I think the radius should be larger, but honestly having vision beyond the FoW is a little silly, not to mention useless. Someone who's played the game for more than a few skirmishes should be able to tell what dot is unit-wise because all units have fairly discernible speeds, it's easy to tell between a bot, tank and plane, and since naval units aren't.... mobile anymore, there's really no reason to have an omnipotent view of the radars radius.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The advanced radar satellite as it used to be was broken and game breaking. It was simply way too much.

Although, as mentioned, you should do a search before posting in accordance with forum rules. This is a hot topic with a bunch of threads on it already. We don't need to fragment the discussion any further.
  9. mostuniqueusername

mostuniqueusername Member

Ironically, searching for "advanced radar satellite" is exactly how I found this thread.

EDIT: Also, this is the ONLY thread with "advanced radar" in its title, so you're wrong that there are "a bunch of threads on it already." Other threads surely have covered it in their discussion but this is clearly the only thread "on" the topic.
  10. mostuniqueusername

mostuniqueusername Member

Totally agree that the old method - seeing the entire planet including the opposite side - was overpowered and made no sense.

But now:
    • T2 Advanced Radar on the ground has a Vision radius of 300.
    • Orbital Advanced Radar has a vision radius of 100.
    How does this make any sense?? Have these super advanced robotic fighting machines not mastered simple optics??

Now, it makes sense that a satellite is does not have full resolution imagery on half of a planet all at once (or anywhere close to that area) . BUT, in real life satellites can look at more than just what is DIRECTLY below them, they can point to things.

How about this:

Keep the vision for the satellite at 100, that represents what the satellite is "looking at". But allow the player to "aim" the satellite to any point on the surface of the planet that the satellite has line-of-sight to without the satellite actually moving.

A next step beyond this would be to actually set a Patrol path for the satellite and it will just keep sweeping across the path it is given. This would be very useful, not too over-powered as it requires some management, and it happens to be much closer to how satellites actually work in real life.
    Pendaelose and stormingkiwi like this.
  11. muhatib

muhatib Member

12. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

i like it where its at now i think its perfect. they are cheap enough to spam a bunch if need be. also with area patrol now its much simpler to build an air factory dedciated to air scouts and area patrol the planet
  13. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Well the old version was obviously overpowered and stupid, but i think they went a bit too far into the opposite direction with the new one.
    Double or tripple the vision radius and i'm happy, right now i think for an "advanced" radar satalite its pretty useless.
  14. tehtrekd

I don't know if it was game-breaking, sure it was pretty much omniscient, but the thing costs so much that unless you had 50 t2 naval fabbers on it, chances are the enemy had a chance to get in and destroy it before you launched it.
    It was OP, but not gamebreaking.
  15. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

old one was to much cheese....

i think you guys arent giving this new one a chance enough. its only 3600 metal now and once you hit that point in the game its pretty simple to spam a fewand spread them out.

i will say their movement speed could be increased a little i feel that was decreased just a tad to much
  16. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

you guys are thinking only about advanced satellite versus homeplanet, but if you need to scout an enemy moon to find where are the halleys, so you could shower nukes, these new satellites are mostly useless, you need like 6 to cover a 200 radius moon
    another problem, is that this new speed change affected the orbital travel, they are taking too long to get to a neighbor moon
    aevs and JacksonNL like this.
  17. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Fair enough, I skim read a lot of the threads and recall seeing it a few times, that's all!
    I still agree, encourages building more radars everywhere and makes intel gathering more exciting.
  18. tehtrekd

Or they could just increase the speed, so you can quickly scout around the moon.
  19. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

The radar isn't the problem, the vision is, and no offence but everyone knew that the problem was advanced orbital satellite eye of Sauron before you posted that thread.
    aevs and totalannihilation like this.
  20. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Meh. My idea, is for the basic radar satellite to be between t2 and t1 radar ranges and show only dots, and the advanced one show a basic land scout's vision range of the surface below.

A satellite that shows vision is particularly useful compared to 2 satellites that overlap in purpose, but god mode full planet is ridiculous. A satellite being able to, with some risk, peek overhead to scout the enemy, is about correctly balanced for it's cost, and useful without being too strong.
    tripper likes this.