Custom AI API

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zeroonezero, May 8, 2013.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Couldn't the AI continue to be updated obviously? Even so, probability can program with a variable as well, meaning the AI can actually be programmed to use anything out of his cookie jar and use it in proportions as filler and such (like if it was never told about the Inferno, that would still allow the AI to build it had it never been updated on it, same with mod units, although theoretically be more efficient to reprogram the AI to better utilize units if using a total conversion mod)

Either way, I am not talking A, else B, else C. I am talking in reaction to something, react with A15% B20% C10% AB15% AC20%, Or leave some of the percentage unused so it has a flexible area to use some resources to react stronger, or react in multiple ways against the same thing, or possibly just to keep production up instead.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I'm a lot more interested in seeing moddable unit and squad level ai. I see this as an extension of ui modding, because players could mod their units to behave differently when not being directly controlled.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  3. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I could see a lot of value in the AI keeping it's own record of the "Damage Done/Damage Taken/Cost" by units in combat groups. Use those values as a weight on a random army builder could result in some interesting adaptive army composition. Your AI would learn what units work against you and would prefer them, but would still mix other units into the teams. specialty units, like medics, could use different metrics to determine value, such as "Damage Healed/Damage Taken/Cost". If you store the right data, such as army composition, relational database could even figure out what units together make the best lifetime DPS.
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Here's a livestream that is mostly about the AI. For people that are interested in it. (Time: 24:44)

I'm going to infer that going to be a AI APL due to the fact that modding is a first-class citizen and is one of three pillars of this game.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yes obviously :)

My posts are about this idea of an AI that doesn't have any decision making skills. This idea of an AI that needs to be programmed explicitly to do stuff.

What I'm saying is that you should never tell it to react with A 15% B 20% C10% AB 15% AC 20%, in case D is also a valid option

You should tell it to consider every option available to it, rank those according to what it thinks is best, and then make a good decision.

In saying that, it shouldn't make the same pattern of good decisions every time.

That's what I mean when I say "emergent" AI.

Yes that would be seriously cool.