SO Comm rush is still prevalent

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by beer4blood, January 17, 2014.

1. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Yep!!! seems the super cheese comm rush is still prevalent in 1v1 games. While effective am i the only one who sees this as too much cheese?? im not talking about a simple comm walking into my base i mean creating a small strike force and having him lead the charge just as i imagined with a wad of combat medics behind him. is this all 1v1 shall be reduced to forever?? i certainly hope not.

it was bad enough before the combat medic but now its horrible

ready discuss!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Hopefully this tactic will one day be removed, or at the very least the people who use it will eventually try playing the game, rather than going for the fast and cheese methods.
  3. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

im sayin tho
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Using the most effective tactics IS playing the game. If it happens to be dull and boring, that's a fault of the game. No one said making an RTS was going to be easy.

Play any MMORPG for any length of time. Placing a high health unit in front to multiply the power of a squishy DPS force is the entire genre's MO.
    zaphodx, stormingkiwi and Taxman66 like this.
  5. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

i never said it wasnt smart, i said it was lame and hopefully not a product we can expect in the finished game, why even play if all 1v1 is decided by a five minute comm battle???
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Was discussed in another thread, you participated remember?

/discussion /thread

Seriously though, it is just a cheesy tactic. Really, if you had a small force yourself (why are you not building anything at all in the beginning), 1 turret, and your commander, when the other commander walks in, then doesn't that waste their time ESPECIALLY in a 1v1 to build, and they STILL don't get a kill off you?

That being said, in all honesty, it is observed that combat medics do seem to be strong coupled with the commander. It is the first test of a unit after all. They also reclaim heavily. That is a bug. Technically, being a bug, it is "ungentlemanly", and this isn't even a game yet, it is a beta build for an upcoming game. So, your arguement is that the other players are going into test games and using ungentlemanly exploits, and this is offending you and making you lose hope in the game's balance.

I am going to go play some TF2 on XBox and glitch into the staircase now, to blow off some steam.

Also, you sir, just described Runescape God Wars Dungeon. I freakin love being the tank in a Bandos raiding party. If you are good enough, you can just endure and do some solo runs just by yourself as a tank. Riskier, trips cost more supplies, still more fun since you aren't just pyling. Only thing more fun about the party, is as a tank, trying to walk your character model into bandos' general's arse and "pull out the Godsword Hilt" (a feeble time passing ritual one does to comically hope for a better monster drop).
    Arachnis likes this.
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Cheesy or not, only one question is truly important for the tactic: How much does player skill, scouting and response factor into a successful attack or defense? If the answer is "not at all", then forget it. The game would already be decided, and thus not be strategic in the slightest. THAT'S the frustrating part of it.
    matizpl and stormingkiwi like this.
  8. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

i believe that was b4 this patch release where i was hoping to see big changes which i have. no longer do blobs of tanks rule the land but the instantly created doxen do. veh fab still cost more making the veh factory evn more useless.....

and one laser??? really ????? aint gonna do **** vs a comm with 5 combat medics
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I really hope they boost the build power and/or efficiency of the Commander.

Lowering the walk speed a little further would also help.
  10. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

i think the tankness of combat meds is the problem now........ sounded cool in the head but i knew it would be a super exploit
  11. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Using efficient strategies isn't cheese. Cheese is an all in strategy that wins if they don't scout/counter properly and loses if they do.

There is a ton of imbalance in the game right now, but that is precisely what you should have expected with loads of new units, a complete overhaul of unit costs and a huge tempo increase with multiplanet travel. You have to be patient for them to do another balance pass next patch.
    stormingkiwi, lokiCML and Antiglow like this.
  12. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Not something you attempted in TA by any means. I believe the dgun was to thank for that, since it was an extreme gamble to try. It came down to who landed the dgun first. Therefore it was more logical to actually play the game and try other easily exploited tactics, like a wad of missile units. So we need the return of the dgun IMO
  13. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

I'd say with the factory rolloff time reduced from 5 seconds to 2 seconds it's easier than ever to get an advantage by defending.
    stormingkiwi and drz1 like this.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I disagree - I think the key factor discouraging commander battles in TA was the mutually assured destruction - i.e. if it comes down to a comm battle, no-one wins.
  15. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

sorry but that doesn't even make sense, it's better to defend because you can make an attack force faster???? No, now the game had rekindled the pee wee / flash rush of TA with the crapability of dox. I can easily have over 500 in a few minutes, then a thousand, then everyone's fps goes to **** and I attempt to crush you while I skip around the planet scrolling.
  16. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

One thing that makes this strategy so viable, is because maps are so flat and open, when they add more depth to planets, eg, cliffs, mountains, rivers, stuff that you have to path around, it will be much harder.

Not to mention the commander can now build the ground, doesnt that help at all ?.
  17. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Build the ground??? I know not what you mean.
  18. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I don't think that commander rushes are a problem in 1v1. You have a commander, too. If it turns out that combat fabs + commander rush forces you to build your own combat fabs, then combat fabs will get nerfed. That's the way it works.

And even in teamgames, I got rushed recently. But I just gave up my base and built a new one, got a friend collecting troops for a sneak attack and we eventually killed those commanders off. You just have to be a bit more patient when dealing with those kinds of strategies imo.
  19. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

I believe you still won if you got them first though despite both commanders dying, the game was over at that point anyways. I maybe wrong. Now in large ffa yes it was discouraged because of this, but I've only been com rushed once in a ffa in pa, by okineas. Which reminds me I need to finish the grudge match he started with that.....
  20. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Well it has only happened once since the patch, and because I had no idea the flame tank was a useless POS. :( very disappointing pyros were one of my favourites m CORE TILL I DIE!!!!