A touch of class

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by skintkingle, January 15, 2014.

1. skintkingle

skintkingle New Member

And now we're over the Fawlty Towers reference I was daydreaming about effects and stuff I think would look cool in PA with a friend while we were stomping over an AI like it was going out of fashion, I realised something my heart desired. Most/All the factorys have a green Nanolathe container on the arms/rings that produce the units, and also have like a secondary storage container. Now for a touch of classy show-offery on the factorys, and the fact I always think the little details are the best. Would you guys consider making the Nanolathe containers on the factory arms drain as they produce a unit, and restock quickly from the main storage container from the factory as the unit leaves the factory production floor. I was thinking of ways for the storage to drain slightly and restock (Only visually, obviously, nothing game mechanic changing) like maybe while the next unit is being built, to show the constant throughput of resources through a factory. I think that would be such a finishing touch detail I just had to vocalise it right now. (Obviously i am not expecting this in any time soon if it is realised in the game, but I just wanted to put my thought out there for you guys to ponder over :) ) I thought it would look super awesome.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It'd be kinda nifty... but mostly pointless since we don't ever really zoom in enough to actually see it.

Most gameplay happens zoomed out because PA is such a large scale game.
  3. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

True but don't forget the spectators and the people live streaming matches while commentating. Close up cinematic views of how much detail a large scaled game has can possibly bring in more commanders :)
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I didn't forget about it – especially since I'm a caster myself.

However, zooming in THAT close is not feasible on commentating. It'd be a zoom in to see that, but in order to be close enough to see that, you wouldn't see the cool action going on.

I'm all for making super awesome looking gameplay.

But that's too small of a detail. It'll only ever be seen when someone says "Hey, look at this." It's not worth the resources to implement.
  5. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I agree totally. It would be cool to zoom in and notice details like that. The radar spins round and round. And tank barrels move. Yeah it would be cool

However, I do think that the player build colour mod should be vanilla. So it wouldn't be green, but the colour of the player.
  6. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Whilst I am all for nice visual touches, I can only imagine it would impact negatively on the performance of the rest of the game. And in a game with this much scope, that is NOT. A .GOOD. THING. :p
    Mind, it's not exactly asking for the moon, so I guess we'll see!
  7. skintkingle

skintkingle New Member

I agree that the effect would go un-noticed a bucket load of the times and some people may never realise it's there. But it's just the feeling I get when I see that much detail in such a grand scale game that makes my heart warming. I've had it before on I think one of the Earth series (Maybe 2140) where at the time I was so wowed by the detail they went into and the little things they made apparent to people who inspected. All of the effects completly detatched from any gameplay changes, purely aestetic but rounded and finished the whole thing off. Take the wind generators in TA. Rotated to show wind directional changes. The direction of the wind however had no direct affect on gameplay AFAIK, only Wind velocity, But it was a beautiful day to see fields of wind generators moving in unison.

It's just a thought I had while looking at a ground walking PA game with a friend and accepting every thought flow into my brain. :) I'm still extatic about the game with or without this. hahaha.
  8. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

Green nanolathes have to stay imho, just as a homage to TA more than anything else. I Imagine the effect is totally customizable for modders if you really wanted team coloured lathes.

More details on the factory's always a good thing, I'm not sure anyone would want the game to look less detailed, even if you don't really see it much.

At the moment I don't really look too close at the units because I know allot of them are unfinished and and very unpolished. Really don't think what your suggesting would be too much work either and anything that makes the game look pretty would be a thing I'd consider having as it helps improve the overall look and quality of the game.
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yeah it's already been modded in.
  10. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

I didn't mean focus on what factories are making when you can watch ants and doxs have at it. Something like zooming in too see if they start engineer or dox. Scout plane or humming bird. It's a small feature but it adds up. Like the gears on the side of vehicle factories rolling. Never noticed it but it looks cool :D
    skintkingle likes this.
  11. guyverdan

guyverdan New Member

I have to admit I agree, its the little details that make a big difference. That little touch that makes you go, bloody hell they went to that much trouble over something so small wow....

PA is already a great game and its not even released yet, the guys and gals have done an excelent job. Another little touch like this would just add to the amazement value went battling across planets for the 1st or 20th time.