Read Op 1st Addition Of Supplemental Assistive AI's For HumanvComp Matches and/or Human v Human?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by siefer101, January 6, 2014.

?

Addition Of Supplemental Assistive AI's For Human v Comp Matches... Human v Human

1. This would be a worth while Addition (as detailed in the OP) for both H v H and H v C matches

58.8%
  2. This would be a worth while Addition (as detailed in the OP) for H v H matches

5.9%
  3. This would be a worth while Addition (as detailed in the OP) for H v C matches

20.6%
  4. This would not be a worth while Addition (as detailed in the OP) for H v H matches

8.8%
  5. This would not be a worth while Addition (as detailed in the OP) for H v C matches

8.8%
  6. This would not be a worth while Addition (as detailed in the OP) for both H v H and H v C matches

32.4%
  7. This Addition has merit if the following were added or removed from the OP (post comment)

5.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Sorry cell phone........ you take that long to check on other planets??? It really isn't that hard to manage multiple planets, especially after better notifications come.

You're not thinking about the whole game my friend. Imagine anything over 1v1. Players battling to their maximum economy, usually when you have spam t1 in large amounts because you and you're current opponent are equally matched. T2 is put on hold as you can't spare the eco to continue your constant battle. You must wait until you can actually carry it on your economic checkbook. So there's always that one who turtles quietly away with five mex and one T1 plant till they can get off planet. Once there they can build this sub commander set him to eco and return to the start planet with no worries while the ai constructs a endlessly infinite economy. So you should now win by turtle to planet??? No sorry management comes with an rts. In fact its the most important determining factor. How you manage all things controls the outcome, it shouldn't be handed off to ai just because you feel it boring. Boring comes with the territory. Why have to build economy at all if you're just going to hand it off??? Just make all players have a set eco that increases at the same rate and let them just fight....... sorry this idea sh its on all rts lineage and gameplay. But
  2. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Vs ai would be viable.
  3. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Heh, that's funny cause I almost exclusively play 10 player FFA matches and I'm always 1 of the last 2-3 players in the game. I'm that 1 who leaves the planet early as you mention and the 1s fighting it out on the start planet always die to KEWs if they keep all their eggs in that basket, even now.
  4. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

That explains why you support this XD XP
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Ok, now to contribute something relevant, sorry OP for almost derailing the thread. (I feel shame :()

In terms of a buildable sub-commander to manage your econ:

The way I see it is that if this were to be implemented, it would either end up being unfair or unused.

If you make the sub-commander too expensive, by the time you actually would be constructing it you probably aren't going to be focusing on economic development much anymore other than building PSAT's and using area commands to cover an entire planet in metal extractors.

If you make the sub-commander too cheap you are going to make them essentially mandatory for anyone who is trying to win. If you are able to build them early on, they would allow you to focus on controlling your army while he builds your economy, which means you will have an advantage over people who are splitting themselves between economy and military. No single unit or structure should be required for victory (other than your commander of course).

It might be possible to get it to fit in, but considering how difficult it would be to balance, and how hard it really isn't to build your own economy, I don't think it will end up being worth the time...

Please correct me if I made any incorrect statements/assumptions, I was responding to the thread as I read it.
    beer4blood likes this.
  6. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

I agree (sorry for derailing the topic won't happen again)
    Sub commanders need to be carefully balanced soo they arent the only way to win else they can be a fine adition to the game
  7. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Sub commander need not exist!!! Why should the kew stage of the game be made even easier???? To op the game just becomes a turtle race to orbital and sub commander.
  8. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Not necessarily. My plan doesn't put an supplemental AI anywhere in the realm of comparison to and actual AI which we currently combat against.... remember we all wont be starting on the same planet and with up to 40 people, and who knows how many potential starting planets, how many fronts will we be managing.. more then one... 1000% guaranteed... This will make the presence of some higher level automation required.
    iron420 likes this.
  9. iron420

TA had Decoy Commanders that could assist. SupCom had Sub commanders and so did FA (supcom 2 never happened, shhhh!). There is precedent for them in every game of this linage until this point. PA would be the 1st to not include something along those lines if they chose to do so.
  10. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

But it would be the first game ever to implement such a unit that has the capability to directly control the units in an attempt to assist the player. The first game to implement this correctly will have introduced such a groundbreaking feature. IMHO... SupCom Supplemental coms did nothing Period... (excluding their building capacity) or decoy capacity only if you were playing with a new player who couldn't see the distinct difference.
  11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Rise of Nations did it first. It works. Experienced players dont' use it (because it mucks up your intended strategy) but it is a useful crutch for inexperienced players.

and it also does mean that your empire doesn't die while you micro an army. Meaning it is actually worthwhile to micro an army.
  12. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

i think we can say that Rise of nation is quite a ways away from current RTS's...
    That being said i amend my previous post to this...

"... The first Modern RTS game to implement this correctly will have introduced such a groundbreaking feature. IMHO...."
  13. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

I don't care how you spin it, something that constantly creates more eco for you is bull!!!! Its way to cheap and cheesy!!!! Just wait on improved notifications I'm putting my money there. Uber has yet to let me down.

Again it's really not that hard to handle multiple fronts now. The game is about each individuals strategy. Not player plus fully automated sections, we call this a moba. Sorry dude I'll always cry no to this. I'm here to challenge the wit of other players.

Decoy commanders did nothing to automatically construct. You still had to issue orders. I have no problems with decoys they were cool and made for nice distractions. Automated assistance however isn't in my book
  14. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

And if that's how you feel iron420 I expect to see you on the no fab assist for nukes and anti bandwagon with me!!!!
    iron420 likes this.
  15. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Automation is for all.. and not mandatory...
  16. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

I just don't want it in the original game.....I guess as an option I could live with it. But definitely not as the preferred play style.....
  17. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

I do not want that to be the case.. This Assistive AI needs to be nowhere near as proficient as Primary Opponent AI's
  18. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

It Should be experimented with.. But again For large maps . How many battle fronts can YOU manage at once while managing your economy to its maximum potential. How efficient are you in your observation-action-reaction sequence compared to a computer?
  19. godde

godde Well-Known Member

A computer is only as smart as the software that runs on it.
    Just because people are allowed to make assisting AIs for PA doesn't mean that the computer is suddenly gonna spring to life and actually be a helpful assistance.
    You can take small steps by improving the UI and implementing automation but it is a leap of faith to think an assisting AI is gonna be helpful unless someone actually pulls the effort to develop it for PA.
    Sure. I think that people should experiment with it and that people should be allowed to make mods for the UI and allow scripts to support the player but I think that this is something that needs to customized by the players themselves if they are going to enjoy it.
  20. iron420

I really like the approach Distant worlds took to this:

[​IMG]

When auto constructing military you can give % requirements to certain roles, Auto build buildings in a priority que when colonizing a new system, have the AI use your construction ships to build new resource structures as needed (prioritizing value vs proximity or visa versa if you like), etc. Of course you could set any of these options to either Fully automate, suggest, or no automation and focus only on the parts of your empire you wanted most. I'm not suggesting this exactly for PA, but I would prefer setting up "policies" for how a sub commander behaves before the game starts and just be able to over-ride him when I want. Not truly AI per-se, just a fully automated and pre-programmed assistant of sorts.
    godde likes this.