Getting Cpu lag in PA i found a fix that improved FPS alot for me.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by slow0, January 13, 2014.

1. slow0

slow0 New Member

This fix only works with Windows 7 - 8 - 8.1 x64 and x32 and only in systems using more than 2 physical CPUs or more than 2 logical cores.

Windows 7 has a feature called "Core Parking" which turns off CPU cores when not being utilized. For many gaming applications, this can be unhelpful. There is no switch to turn off this Core Parking, so you need to edit a few registry values to force Core Parking off. For me, this boosted my performance. These registry changes are reversible and there are no deletion of anything in the registry.

It worked wonders for me. Hopefully it can help some of you people out as well!

Program i used which i think is the easiest method is:

http://bitsum.com/about_cpu_core_parking.php

If u do not want to use the program and want to disable core parking through the registry then please follow this method:

- Go to Regedit

- Find this key:- " 0cc5b647-c1df-4637-891a-dec35c318583 "

- Within this key, there is a value called: " ValueMax "

- This value represents the % number of cores the system will park - the default 100% ie: all Cores are potentially park-able

- Change the value from 64 to 0 so the " ValueMin " and " ValueMax " are both zero

- You will have to find the key a few times and repeat the process for each time it is found - the number of instances will depend on the number of power profiles in your system [ in my DAW it was only found twice ]
    - Do a full shutdown and power-off and cold-re-start

again the program posted above does all this for u n just one click of a button cheers

Slow0
    SXX likes this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you please share your hardware information and FPS you get before and after this fix?
  3. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

"For many gaming applications, this can be unhelpful" - Why?
    Shouldnt i do this? Will this hurt my computer or what is that?
  4. slow0

slow0 New Member

i7 920 OC 4.2ghz, Asus rampage extreme mother bored, 6ghz corsair memory 1600hz 2 GTX 770 sli,

from between 130fps+ to 150fps+ i gained between 20 to 25+ fps

Im also in a community of players who have also tried this method for PA and seen further increases Fps. They have all types of system from phantom to i5 as long as there's 4 logical cores it works. Not only for this game i also seen a big increase in other titles such as BF4 crysis 3 and even just general computerizing stuff.

all setting a ramped to highest
  5. slow0

slow0 New Member

There is no reason u shouldn't do this it will force your computer to draw a little more power that is all. That should give u a good reason to do it.
  6. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

But why did you said that this can be unhelpful? This is strange?!
  7. slow0

slow0 New Member

Sorry i miss read your post. Using the software posted means all Cores are available at all times and none are ever parked - the result = even CPU loads at all times regardless of loads. witch helps a great deal with all games and applications
  8. slow0

slow0 New Member

Having Cores idle while playing games is not giving u the full potential of the cpu this bring all cores into use and helps boost fps some people have gained anything up 30+ increase
  9. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Okay so it's only good(?) i've asked because you said this could be un- helpful... Mistake right? ^.^
  10. slow0

slow0 New Member

No u have misread it lol when core parking is enabled it is unhelpful windows 7 has this enabled as default. That`s why its good to unpark your cores so yeh having core parking is unhelpful
  11. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

*facepalm* Sorry x)
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Do you understand that any FPS above 60 is mostly useless for benchmarking? Can you set max resolution scaling and try to create some huge (4000-5000) earth planet to drop FPS to 40-50 and compare it again?
  13. slow0

slow0 New Member

Yes when i get home from work ill do that resolution scale is already set to 120 but when get home ill set to 150 n try what suggested
    SXX likes this.
  14. bonius

bonius New Member

Core unparking does help in CPU intensive games, but mostly it only helps the i7 series of processors (or the AMD equivalent) simply due to the way most games handle hyperthreading. If you're using an i5 or AMD equivalent, core parking won't net you much of a performance gain, if any.

A word of note is that the CPU will always have 4+4 cores "active", so the PSU will have to work a bit more than normal. You also loose handy things like core-sleep and all those fancy energy saving things that 3rd /4th gen implemented.
  15. slow0

slow0 New Member

energy saving is not needed when performance is the main aspect and with app posted u can turn on off on the fly so when not gaming n don't need that extra performance u can reactivate core parking. again this as been tested in the community witch i play in n they have amd processors as well as i5 etc most if not all have noticed an increase in performanc.
  16. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

You do not need to un-park your cpu cores if your are running W8.1...They are un-parked by default.
    Also un-parking will work on any cpu that has a core parked, you can check to see if your cores are parked in task manager(do a google search i may be wrong).
    If you are running a Core I7 be sure to enable hyper threading(in bios) for best results.
    slow0 likes this.
  17. slow0

slow0 New Member

Ok so i set res scale to 175 and radius to 2000 fps was 22 to 25 parked 31 to 36 unparked

sorry radius was 3000
    SXX likes this.
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Impressive result! Thanks! ;)
    I'll ask some players with performance issues test that solution.
    slow0 likes this.
  19. bonius

bonius New Member

Just make sure they do the regedit by themselves and not use a third party app. Alot of them comes with "extra features" so to speak. And whatever anyone says, disabling HT (as recommended by a ton of the guides circulating out there) is not needed.
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm never recommend tools I didn't used myself and I'm obviously won't recommend disabling HT to anyone. Thanks anyway. ;)