Multiple Nukes

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by slow0, January 9, 2014.

1. slow0

slow0 New Member

It would be great to be able to set individual targets for each nuke at the same time like group sending say like u got 12 nukes ready to fire u should be able to set 12 multiple points. If not maybe be able to draw a line across the enemy base so that the nukes land within that line.

P.S if this as been posted already i do apologize
    keterei, gerii, Tontow and 4 others like this.
  2. duncane

duncane Active Member

I thought at first ... You can already do this by selecting each nuke fac one at a time.

But I think you mean .... Select 6 nuke facs and then click 6 attack orders to launch them. You could click 6 times in one spot or pepper the base with nukes that all launch at once.

I like it ;)
  3. slow0

slow0 New Member

At current u can select each individual nuke and send them different places but this take time n effort esp the time it takes to creat 12 nukes. It would be nice to send a group of nukes to different location at the same time by clicking 12 different sites n then press one button or even just be able to draw a line across the base so that nukes hit different points on that like. Just seem to time consuming of going to the effort of building so many n they have to fire them individually
    Pendaelose and beer4blood like this.
  4. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

I like this macro decision, despite the fallacies of the current nuke game. We shall call it line launching!!!, nifty nuking, or bitch blasting!!!!
    Pendaelose likes this.
  5. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

There are two equally valuable ways to deal with this proplem:
    One is circular (or free shape) "area of attack" command for nukes. Similar to area build for pgens, but with constant number and varied spacing instead of constant spacing and varied number.
    The other is ability to set individual targets for nukes before actually setting them off. Imagine carefully constructing the plan of nuklear strike, and then, when time is right, pressing big red "Launch ALL the nukes!" button.
    I would actually prefer to have both of this mechanics implemented.

EDIT: Also, after further thought, I think it would totally make sense for all nuke launchers of entire planet to be controlled like a single unit. That would require removal of their maximum range from the surface, which can mess the balance, but the whole macro emphasis of the game would benefit from that.
    Last edited: January 9, 2014
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

An area command for nuking would be pretty awesome.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'd rather see a system where regardless of how many Nuck Launchers you have selected, 1 click = 1 Nuck.

That way you have full control over where your Nucks hit very specifically and can still get out a large number very quickly.

Mike
    EdWood, Nayzablade, maxpowerz and 4 others like this.
  8. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I think that for intercontinental and for interplanetary-range nukes it makes far more sense to use an orders-as-first-class-entities system, even if such a system is used nowhere else in the game.

The player doesn't necessarily care which nuke goes where. And giving order primitives to the silo requires navigating all the way back to the silo to select it, and navigating all the way back to the target point and manually ordering the silo to launch. Or you could use control groups to expedite the process, granted. But control groups and order primitives are not nearly as good a solution as an intelligent UI.

The player wants a nuclear explosion on the target point. The player should be able to specify a point as "nuke target" and have the UI reach all the way back across the planet to automatically queue the fire order in the silo.

In fact, there really isn't a reason why the player has to give the location and fire order at the same time. It would be much more convenient if the player would be able to specify nuke target points arbitrarily, or in advance, even if the silo is not done yet, or even if the player doesn't have one. Then when the player wants to launch he just orders all launchers to "fire" and each silo picks a unique target point and simultaneously launches.

This would let the player take his or her time to identify a whole bunch of different nuke targets across the entire map, and then easily launch a large-scale nuclear bombardment with many different targets, using many nuke launchers in many different places across the map. This kind of bombardment would otherwise require very, very fast hands in order to quickly select and give different orders to each specific silo to fire at each target point.

Using this system, one target point means one nuke. If you want to nuke a target area multiple times, you simply place multiple points on that spot.
    Last edited: January 10, 2014
    gerii, cptconundrum and corteks like this.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I like this idea a lot.
  10. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

This is really the ideal solution. Frankly, I was baffled when I first discovered that this wasn't how it worked.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  11. rawrifficus

rawrifficus Member

How about instead they add a button and counter to the ui which counts your available nukes and you just have to click and select target to launch one nuke at a time from there. Been in a couple games now where I wanted to launch multiple nukes from planet to moon at different locations but said screw it because its such a hassle to move in between planets.

They definitely need to do something to address this issue though.
    cptconundrum and Pendaelose like this.
  12. Antiglow

Antiglow Well-Known Member

I just assign hot keys. In fact I just did this the last game I played. I had 3 nukes and wanted to distribute them to different places in the enemy's base plus I was firing them from the moon to the planet. 3 nukes > assigned them to keys 1, 2, & 3 respectively. press key 1 > click on target, press key 2 >click on target, press key 3, click on target. easy as pie.
    note: to assign a key click on the unit/building then press control and the key you want it assigned to.
  13. Schulti

Schulti Active Member

Yes, and i think, that this would be nice too for bombers. Sure it would be similar to an areacommand, but we could have more control of the specific targets. Maybe this could be done with ctrl+righclick on enemyunits... ?
  14. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

1 click = 1 nuke would be excellent. It would cover all the use cases and be very simple. Shouldn't even be difficult to implement.
    maxpowerz and necrillain like this.
  15. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

One click-one-nuke is nice, but in the spirit of reducing Micro I could go for a persistent area command. If I tell my 10 nuke launchers on the moon to barrage the enemy base (or whole planet) they should act like a unit and fire every time they are ready. Then I can have a row of factories mass producing workers with an assist rally point helping spam out the nuclear rain. No micro involved, so I can set it up and forget about it while I keep working on moving my next batch of workers further into the solar system for more resources.
  16. cmacnichol

cmacnichol New Member

This makes so much sense. I understand using Keyboard Shortcuts for the Nukes however I hate having to rebind them when I have them on other armies or other stuff. 1-2 nukes is not base, but when you have 6 or more to overwhelm nuke defense on a orbiting planet it is a pain.

Area commands would be neat, but I really like the idea of 1 click=1 nuke. A really simple solution and prevents going back and forth between planet and moon, which is time consuming.
  17. slow0

slow0 New Member

This is will need to be implemented soon maybe the modders could implement it. n yeh like the idea of selected locations n then hit launch button
  18. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Multi select launchers and then one click = one nuke = Good.
  19. slow0

slow0 New Member

I was thinking this could be a tech upgrade that u have to make before being able to send multiple nukes all over the planet
  20. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

I wonder if this could be implemented as a mod... It would require the ability to select units by ID, but I'm afraid that the current APIs don't support it. At least \media\ui\alpha\shared\js\api\select.js doesn't have such an operation - it only supports recalling groups.