When are more planets gonna be added?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by drew1880, January 9, 2014.

1. drew1880

drew1880 New Member

Yeah I know they said "It's ready when it's ready" but there must be some ETA on when it'll be released
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Why do you think so?
  3. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

Wait? What are we missing? Gas giants?
    husbandinlaw and aevs like this.
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

The only currently promised planet type that isn't in game are gas giants. And those are fairly unique and restricted in terms of what game play occurs there.

Is there something else we're still missing that I'm forgetting?

We'll certainly be adding more in the future, but for now, there's a pretty good range of what can be made. We'd more focused on improving the biomes we currently have before we start adding more base content that needs tons of new assets.
    Schulti, Arachnis and aevs like this.
  5. drew1880

drew1880 New Member

What I meant was when are able to use desert, ice, tropical, or lava planets? They are in the game but you can't use it
  6. garat

What do you mean? As of last patch, Lava planets were usable again, and desert, ice, tropical, metal, moon and earthlike have worked for a long time now.
  7. enderdude

enderdude Member

he could be talking about the system editor, if youre trying to make planets in system editor, you make the planet, push build and save (in that order). If its anything else that could be a huge problem. but none of us have encountered it.
  8. sacret

sacret New Member

Well we shouldnt think too much about future design additions since the current system editor obviously not finished. The orbits are always circular, one can add just 16 planets and there are limitations to the planet parameters.
    By the way there is a pretty simple bug in the system editor. If you enter for the radius a non integer PA instantly crashes.
  9. garat

You shouldn't need to to build/preview anything to save it.. though I always do, because I like to know what it's going to look like in terms of surface area, terrain blocks, etc.

Is there some other order of operations thing going on in the System Editor that is breaking stuff easily?

Thanks for the bug, Sacret, we'll get that fixed.

Keep in mind.. 16 is a lot of planets, even with big games. While that will continue to increase, unless those are all tiny, that will consume a huge amount of system memory to build 16 even 500 - 800 meter planets.
  10. quigibo

quigibo Member

Um the orbits are not always circular, there is a pull tab to make them oval. I've done it many times no prob.
  11. sacret

sacret New Member

Well its the same for me but if you want to play on the systems all youre carefully adjusted orbits are circular. At least for thats the case for me.
    aevs likes this.
  12. quigibo

quigibo Member

Oh... well I will have to take a look at that next time I play.
  13. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Often you have to hit enter after everything you do. Otherwise the changes don't save.

E.g. Change planet seed to 15000.

If you don't hit enter, it won't save properly, and when you exit that edit, the option won't be there anymore.
  14. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Glad to hear that.
    I would love to see rocky biomes fixed up so they don't stick out so badly, and to have a larger scale and variation of scale for mountains. Would also love to see a somewhat randomized biome distribution than the current perfectly straight line around a parallel for temperature-dependent planets. Any chance either of those aspects are getting worked on?
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Is it happen in latest version of game?

If yes can you port reproduction steps on bugtracker? I reproduced number of weird behaviors in editor, but not one related to save button. :(
  16. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

For me, it's always happened.

The reproduction steps are literally

Open System Manager.
    Make some change to a planet.
    Fail to hit enter.
    Hit save.
    Deselect that planet.
    Reselect that planet.
    Changes aren't saved.
    SXX likes this.
  17. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Garat: will there be feature to create our own customized planets? Lets say we wanted to recreate some popular supcom/ta maps into PA or even throw water onto moons or create a planet with every kind of condition?
    bradaz85 likes this.
  18. Chemdude8

Chemdude8 New Member

I can confirm the 'press enter or it doesn't save' functionality, however you can also click into another field and it will pick up the changes that way. So it's really just an issue for the last value you set. Sometimes text fields won't accept values until they've lost focus or an action was performed (enter/clicking elsewhere), then when the code to 'read all values from fields' comes around it misses the field which is still selected. Should be a relatively quick fix, but not sure it's very important, would rather have water height be greater without being experimental myself.
  19. KNight

KNight Post Master General

That is beyond Uber's Initial Intentions with Planet Generation, but it could be done down the road by Uber and/or Modders.

Mike
    bradaz85 likes this.
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I was under the impression that the intention was to have a planet editor that could be used to apply specific features to a planet after generating it- basically it would give you access to a range of the brushes used to create the craters, mountains and so on to allow you to create specific choke points and such?
    bradaz85 likes this.