An Interesting Orbit Pattern of an Astroid that Almost Hit Earth Several TImes (gif)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, January 5, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Here's a very interesting gif I stole from reddit of an astroid that almost hit earth and the moon several times before finally whiplashing out into space.

[​IMG]

Thankfully no one strapped Delta V Engines onto that bad boy!
    drz1, camycamera and corteks like this.
  2. bradburning

bradburning Active Member

OK new goal for Uber we want to be able to do that.
  3. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Am I the only one who thought spirograph?
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I thought it turned out to be derbies from the Saturn V rocket?
    aevs likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

May have been. I only glanced at the additional info on reddit.

Just thought it was cool and pretty fitting in regards to what we do with our digital orbital bodies.
    igncom1 likes this.
  6. agmarstrick

agmarstrick Member

It's interesting how much the moon perterbs it's orbit. Though with PA's 2 body simulation, this wouldn't be possible.
  7. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Its an RTS and as such, you have to 'fake' some of the none rts stuff like orbits to keep your computer from melting.
  8. demon99a

demon99a Member

i wonder if this is true but i have a hard time believing it is.
    i can never find anything about it just by typing in JOO2E3 on youtube or google
    strange.......................
  9. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Well the moon is actually pretty big.
    There's more than a few people who think we should really consider it a binary planet with earth, I don't have the figures but I think if we found two exoplanets of equivalent size orbiting eachother we'd probably call them binary planets.

Just classic human self-importance making ourselves the centre of everything.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  10. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

brianpurkiss and stormingkiwi like this.
  11. WarriorServent

WarriorServent Member

For some reason I now have a burning urge to play Kerbal Space Program... JEB!! Get those boosters ready we have an asteroid to catch!!
  12. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Well, it isn't the computer that would choke on a full orbital simulation, it's the user. With the 2-body simulation, Uber can predict with a very high degree of precision and accuracy what the orbit of a celestial body will be; they can then display the orbits for the players to understand. However, with a full body simulation, predicting orbits is nearly impossible, and so Uber couldn't give the Astreus a realistic flight path through space, or set Asteroids on a slingshot around the sun before they crash into a planet. Of course, they could still do this outside the full orbital body simulation, but that makes the point of the simulation null and void.
  13. aevs

aevs Post Master General

While the moon is quite large, the difference in mass between the earth and the moon is significant (from wikipedia, the moon's mass is only 1.23% of the earth's) so the barycenter is well inside the earth. You could call it a double planet, but I wouldn't say that "human self-importance" is the main reason people wouldn't.

As far as orbital paths go, I do hope the system is overhauled. Interplanetary travel can take a very long time as it is, and the paths travelled can be shortened considerably.

I'd also like to see adjustable axial tilt and orbital planes, accurate use of gravity, and if we're lucky, maybe orbits calculated as 2 body problems.
  14. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Aah, so that's the technical definition. Now you say it I do remember hearing that, teaches me to do my research before posting!

Uber have promised a full orbital overhaul, including orbital factories (presumably implying basic and advanced orbital tiers) so I would wait till that comes out before getting too worried about how it's implemented; it may well change things such as travel time.
  15. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I don't think there is a widely accepted technical definition, honestly. If the moon were more distant, the barycenter would be outside of the earth. The sun/jupiter barycenter is outside of the sun as well IIRC. Classification in astronomy isn't always well defined it seems.
  16. ace902902

ace902902 Active Member

here's what I found on wikapidea

J002E3 is the designation given to a supposed asteroid discovered by amateur astronomer Bill Yeung on September 3, 2002. Further examination revealed that the surface appeared to contain the paint used on the Apollo moon rockets. The object is probably the S-IVB third stage of the Apollo 12 Saturn V rocket (serial S-IVB-507).[1][2]
  17. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

But double planets are silly to talk about..

A double planet means that neither planet is orbiting the other, but spinning around a common point, and the system as a whole is in orbit around the sun.

Think about a binary star. Both stars orbit around the same point.

Really there is a single star, which takes up a large amount of volume. Most of the mass of the "star" is in two different places, which appear to be different stars and most of the volume of the sphere doesn't contain any mass. Plus the sphere rotates on its axis.

If you compare that to the sun, the mass of the sun is more or less evenly distributed throughout the "sphere", and most of the volume contains mass. And the sun rotates on its axis.

Jupiter clearly orbits the sun. Whereas, in a classic binary star system, "Jupiter" never orbits its parent star, they both orbit the same point.

Technically Jupiter is a star too, just of the wrong make-up to undergo fusion. If Jupiter was a star, but it was still in orbit around Sol, I don't think it would be a binary star system. It would just be a star in orbit around another star

Isn't one of the hypotheses for the center of the galaxy just an ultramassive star that everything else is orbiting?
  18. agmarstrick

agmarstrick Member

The centre of our galaxy is a black hole named Sagittarius A*. My understanding of orbital mechanics would be that the smaller body will always orbit the larger, though as the difference in mass lessens, the pull of the lesser object will be closer and closer to orbiting a common point.
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The problem is that true orbital mechanics are kinda bad for gameplay over a few hours if the game hasn't be set up properly to account for it.
  20. aevs

aevs Post Master General

True orbital mechanics are in no way feasible; 2 body calculations might be, however. If you're talking about planetary motion, I would have to disagree. I believe more realistic planetary interactions could have a beneficial effect on gameplay, especially when orbits can be altered with halleys (assuming different orbital paths and approaches will allow for more effective use of things like the unit cannon or interplanetary travel, and for avoiding invasions). This of course assumes that the interplanetary travel paths for units will be fixed up (so that you could travel between planets as they approach without sending your units an extra lap around the sun first).