Getting new PC

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by scifiz, December 27, 2013.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Just install benchmarks and run them two times. Once with OpenGL and other time with D3D11 .
    Other settings doesn't really mater, but you can stick to settings @occusoj used: Ultra, no AA, FullHD. :)
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Good find. I'd say, as good as it gets with beginners.

two small gripes :
    • it leads by it's layout to believe the more expensive is the better option. for example in the case where they have three coolers options for one cpu tier. whereas. i probably wouldn't go above the NH-D14 in air cooling. ....ever
    • It has no closed loop solutions provided. when these are, if anything, easier to install than some of those bulky fans, especially the cooler master with their crap AMD clips which I had to duke it out with in the past, and give tons more bang for the buck. I mean some are as cheap as 60 bucks and beat every single fan in there. + less noise. (h100 or h100i people, there's nothing quite like it)
    Last edited: December 29, 2013
  3. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

i recommend getting a desktop computer with powerful graphic card and a big enough Ram(8 GB and above)
  4. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

i5 4670K with Intel GPU 4600 - 3345Driver.PNG
    Well, I'd say that's hell of a recomendation right here :D
    Here are results for both. My monitor doesn't support FullHD - exuse me here :)
    This is just for the sake of compare with "real" GPU which I'll get my hands on tommorow.
    i5 4670K with Intel GPU 4600.PNG

Also after SSX told me there are new driver revision, Intel 3345, here you are:
    Last edited: December 29, 2013
    SXX, occusoj and tatsujb like this.
  5. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I think it all comes down to the Motherboard choice..
    Personally i find a decent Motherboard first then work from there,
    I suggest finding one that has solid cap capacitors, they last longer.
    I also try to match FSB speeds across the entire system.
    Example..

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H Motherboard runs @ 1600mhz fsb clock stock (Not Overclocked).
    Kingston HyperX 1600mhz RAM,
    nVidia GTX 680 or ATI Radeon HD 7970 (Both these cards suit 1600mhz systems nicely.)
  6. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

I've heard lots of people say they've got problems with both manufacturers for a load of different reasons will do tests for you
  7. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

That's true, but looking from the guy's perspective - he shown us 3 deals he's taking into consideration. All of those can be clicked. They show us that he's aiming into 400-500 pound's. So I think we should advice him two ways of solving the equaition. First would be explain to him it's better to wait, and get more money or - give him the best in slot config for his money. I personally waited additional 3 months and bought used stuff. This gave me significant boost in speed for almost the same money.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Just in case Intel already released 3345 drivers. :D
  9. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

Should I bother installing them?
    Ok I am downloading them now, will re-make benchamark asap.
  10. maxpowerz

That was only an example of matching FSB's in the system..
    For a budget of 400-500 pound ($800+ AUD)

I suggest ..

MotherBoard : ASUS z87-c (Cheap *** crap but still 1600mhz stock) ($150ish)
    CPU : i5 4570 3.2 ghz quad core ($230 AUD)
    RAM : 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz ram. (Will run at 1600mhz stable not an issue) ($175 AUD)
    GPU : nVidia GTX 680 ($290 AUD)

APPROX $845 AUD or 455 Pounds :)
  11. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

MotherBoard : ASUS z87-c (Cheap *** crap but still 1600mhz stock) ($150ish) 110 pounds UK
    CPU : i5 4570 3.2 ghz quad core ($230 AUD) 145 pounds UK
    RAM : 16gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz ram. (Will run at 1600mhz stable not an issue) ($175 AUD)115 pounds UK
    GPU : nVidia GTX 680 ($290 AUD) 330-550 pounds UK (!!!)
    Captu.PNG
    APPROX $845 AUD or 455 Pounds :)
    we got 23% Vat in Poland. I don't know what it is in UK but I'd say that hardware proposed by You in UE would cost around 700-800 punds easy :) paradise.PNG

I've updated my previous post with 3345 driver. Have fun!
    maxpowerz likes this.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Now both screens from DirectX11. :)
    mrqasq likes this.
  13. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

jjjk.PNG
    SXX likes this.
  14. maxpowerz

OMG wow...
    I didn't realize price differences were so big between here and there..
    I should have searched the UK prices first .. lol

Decent Gigabyte GTX 680's here are $700+ but a cheapie ASUS one is around $290
  15. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

A modern system doesnt have multiple FSBs, in fact theres not even one.

What clocks exactly do you want to match up?
  16. space4092

space4092 New Member

any new system should have a good amount of ram, i played PA in some scenarios taking 15GB of Ram to run, so 8GB will not cut it.
  17. maxpowerz

The front side bus is bi-directional, meaning data can flow both ways, allowing components to send and receive data from the CPU. Since so much data passes through the front side bus, a computer’s overall performance will be dependent, in part, on its speed.
    Speed depends on how wide the bus is, its frequency, and the amount of data it can process per clock tick of the CPU.

So matching FSB with RAM and CPU Bus is still very improtant!!.

Example..
    PC2-4200, aka DDR2-533.
    This RAM has a clock rate of 266 MHz and transfers twice a clock cycle. Each transfer is 64 bits wide. So a single DDR2-533 channel can provide 4,266 MB/s. (This is also why it's called PC2-4200. Similarly, DDR2-667 can provide 5,333 MB/s and is often sold as PC2-5300, DDR2-800 can provide 6,400 MB/s and is sold as PC2-6400, and DDR2-1066 can provide 8,533 MB/s and is sold as PC2-8500.)

If you have paired RAM, your memory controller will be able to talk to the RAM transferring up to 8,533 MB/s. Note that this matches a 1066 MT/s FSB, so in this case the system is balanced -- neither the FSB nor the RAM speed is a bottleneck in the data flow between the processor and the RAM. If you put in faster RAM, say DDR2-667 or DDR2-800, you won't see a benefit in the memory bandwidth you can utilize since the FSB becomes a bottleneck.

However, this doesn't mean you won't see a benefit in performance if you go for faster memory.
    When a memory controller makes a request to memory, there are several cycles it has to wait ("latency") before it can get data. Different grades of RAM at a particular speed (say, DDR2-667) are sold with different latency characteristics.
    For instance, one such latency parameter is the column access strobe (CAS) latency, which is typically 4 or 5 cycles for DDR2 SDRAM. Now, this delay is expressed in terms of memory clock cycles, so with DDR2-533 CL4 memory, we're talking about 4 cycles / 266 million cycles per second = about 15 nanoseconds. With DDR2-667 CL5 memory, which is about the same price these days, you get about the same latency (5 cycles / 333 million cycles per second = 15 ns). With DDR2-667 CL4 memory, it's 12 ns. With DDR2-800 CL4 memory it's 10 ns. With DDR2-1066 CL5 memory it's 9.375 ns.
    Note that these numbers don't depend on how much data you can shove through the pipes (bandwidth), but rather the clock rate!!.
  18. maxpowerz

And modern systems do have multiple FSB's!!
    Some systems are 1333mhz, some are 1600mhz (Or higher if OC'd)
    The motherboard FSB is usually 133mhz or 266mhz multiplied to reach 1333 or 1600..
    You'll find that RAM is the same..

If you match the base FSB (the base FSB that is multiplied to get the 1333 or 1600mhz) you get a smooth running system with no data bottlenecks anywhere,,
    That allows a system to use all the hardware to it's maximum efficiency without having extra power being watsed due to a bottle neck in the FSB bi-directional communication..
  19. occusoj

occusoj Active Member

So much strange stuff in there. Im honest and tell you that I dont have the time and patience atm to respond to all that.

Just to start with, there is no FSB. Its not there anymore. And never, NEVER had a consumer system multiple ones. Name one?.
    The times where DDR RAM that ran off a dedicated MC, attached to a northbridge, attached to the CPU via FSB/EV6/.. are long gone.
    Say hello to IMCs, the rest of the NB is usually integrated as well and/or attached via a link like QPI.

Which, in gross contrast to FSB, isnt a bus but more of a point-to-point link. Remember that with FSB, everything from PCI to MC was in competition over its bandwidth.

What you are doing is matching up data rates, all fine - nothing wrong with that.
    But it is NOT matching up FSBs. And you certainly arent matching up anything FSB/GPU.

Shameless copy and paste from http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-front-side-bus.htm.
    Not even a credit given.

So, with that 266 MHz FSB, how wide is it supposed to be to accomodate a tripple channel DDR3-1600 MC going full song?
  20. maxpowerz

Are you saying that the info on wisegeek is wrong???

And you claim "shameless copy and paste" and then post the WRONG SITE, i laugh at you :)

Try here
    http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=157439
    Prototype is the person to thank for that handful of information....

I just used that as an easy way to explain it.
    Be buggered if i was going to type it up when someone else has already gotten it CORRECT!!!

I APOLOGIZE for not giving Prototype his due credit for his 10mins of typing to explain what most DO NOT UNDERSTAND .. lol