Nuking incoming asteroid

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by warrenkc, December 24, 2013.

1. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I tried to nuke an incoming asteroid after the launch of the halleys but it didn't seem to work out. Perhaps I messed up the timing.

I also tried to nuke from said asteroid as it was coming in bit I think my timing was of as well.

Has anyone else attempted this? What were your results?
  2. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

It is not currently possible to destroy planetary bodies with nukes, no matter how small the body or how many nukes. Furthermore, as Jon Mavor has said repeatedly, Nukes are not meant to be treated as an anti-asteroid weapon. The whole point of that segment of the Kickstarter video is to show how ineffectual nukes are at dealing with asteroids. It is unknown if they will have any capability to mitigate asteroid damage, but it is pretty certain that they will not be able to stop it.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  3. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

KEW's will be rebalanced like everything else orbital though, and I believe that the Uber devs have stated that they plan on having variable damage radii based on the sizes of the colliding objects.
  4. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

I didn't say anything about destroying the asteroid. Just wondering if it is possible to nuke it as it is coming in. Would look cool for videos etc.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

It's not currently possible.

We don't know if it'll be added in the future.
  6. verybad

verybad Active Member

They SHOULD make it possible to hit the Halley's though...
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Maybe before the asteroid engages, otherwise you shouldn't be able to. Asteroid Smashing should be definite and game-ending, at least for the player it was dropped on.
  8. ragzouken

ragzouken New Member

i like the idea of being able to destroy the halleys before the asteroid is in its final orbit - if you're building a game ender you can afford to build defences for it
  9. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

well If you think about it, the asteroid doesn't actually need to change it's orbit after the first thruster burst, because it just needs it's orbit just enough to intercept the planet, it doesn't actually need to thrust after each time it changes an orbit. So once it's on its way, you might be able to slow it down by destroying the halleys, but the planet is doomed anyway.
    beer4blood likes this.
  10. ragzouken

ragzouken New Member

not sure that's true for all systems when you account for slingshots and all of that - but I take the point that there would be situations where you can't stop it at all! It'd be interesting (maybe not fun though...) if you could use halleys to move a moon in orbit around a planet to protect it from incoming asteroids
  11. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

Intercept incoming asteroid with other asteroid?
    tatsujb likes this.
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

If you see an incoming asteroid do a 360, reclaim your things, and walk away.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Someone give this man a cookie!!
  14. Chemdude8

Chemdude8 New Member

Confirmed, you can kill the halleys mid move and the asteroid (at least in my case) did not slam into our planet it was already heading towards.
  15. keterei

keterei Active Member

I'm hoping there will be larger missiles to shoot at incoming asteroids like in the kick starter video.
  16. quigibo

quigibo Member

I would like some type of missile to launch at incoming asteroids, not to destroy it but to reduce its size and minimize the damage to your planet/base.

Maybe it could be made in the anti-nuke and just fire whenever the asteroid comes within range.

Also I hope that the number of Halleys becomes dependent on the mass slider and not the classification. The jump from 3 to 25 is ridiculous.
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I always considered this myself. Would be more bad-*** than the nuke idea, which I can agree with is a poor solution to migitate KEW damage.

Would also be interesting to gameplay. It would be a tactical balance of whether a person decides to build on a small asteroid which is effective at stopping a big asteroid but not damaging a planet efficiently, or getting a big asteroid which is more easily wasted if hit by a smaller asteroid by enemy but does more total damage to a planet. If nukes were added to THIS, it would even make sense to allow nukes to greatly reduce damage done by a small asteroid but poorly reduce damage from a large asteroid, giving more reason to chunk a large one instead of a small one.

It kind of makes a tactical difference in reason for going for one or the other. One is easier to rush but easier to counter that way. The other takes longer but is harder to counter. It even makes one a useful counter to the other if desired, though both players waste an asteroid in the process.