nvidia linux no cursor

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by unknownmosquito, December 26, 2013.

1. unknownmosquito

unknownmosquito New Member

I just bought and installed PA from Steam in Linux with the nvidia proprietary drivers, (nvidia 331.20-2):

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [NVS 5400M] (rev a1)
    Subsystem: Lenovo Device 21f3
    Kernel driver in use: nvidia

and the game launches without a visible cursor.

I see there are others with this issue but they're all either ATI cards or nouveau drivers and the workaround link from Steam is broken :(

Can someone help me troubleshoot this?
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt it's broken. It's work just fine, but before you can see this topic you need to link your UberNet and Steam accounts here:
    https://uberent.com/user/linksteam
    Then log out and login on forum and you'll get access to Linux/Mac issues forum.

For start you need to clarify if you actually have one GPU enabled or not.
  3. unknownmosquito

OK I'm still struggling but I've made a little bit of progress I think. At the very least I have more information about the issue.

First of all, I'd already linked my steam and forum accounts but didn't know I needed to log out and log back in, wamp wamp.

I also needed to put a different version of cURL into the installation directory in order to run the application from outside of Steam, which wasn't a big deal; my distro doesn't have the appropriate version; since cURL has a liberal license it should probably be shipped with PA.

Now when I call start.sh (yes I also installed PHP) PA starts and gives me a black screen :( Starting from Steam still lacks a cursor (obviously). I also tried adding the JS fix from the same workaround page to media/ui/alpha/start/start.js to both the top and bottom of the file (where it should be added was unspecified other than in that file somewhere, and note I mean I tried both individually, I didn't add it twice to the same file. I'm a professional software dev, I sort of know what I'm doing ;) ) but this also produces no change. :\

I also created a pastebin at pastebin.ca / 2517899 (remove the spaces since apparently I'm not allowed to link things.. ) with all of the output that PA produces when it's run from the command line.

Oh and yes, the GPU is definitely enabled:
    … common/Planetary Annihilation $ glxinfo | grep -i direct
    direct rendering: Yes

… common/Planetary Annihilation $ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf | grep -n5 "Section \"Device\""
    34- HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
    35- VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
    36- Option "DPMS"
    37-EndSection
    38-
    39:Section "Device"
    40- Identifier "Device0"
    41- Driver "nvidia"
    42- VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
    43-EndSection

As an aside, that workaround really shouldn't only be visible to forum members. That's something that should be indexable by Google so that it can be found without using the internal search mechanism.
    Last edited: December 26, 2013
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

If you have Steam installed you can just use Steam runtime (Ubuntu 12.04 libs) though environment variables. For x86_64 it's located here:
    ~/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steam-runtime/amd64/

You obviously don't need to use PHP fix, it's only exists because I didn't slept enough. :oops:

Also can you please clarify what exactly CPU/GPU your laptop have? I just not fully get if you use Optimus/Bumblebee or not?

Why obviously? :confused:
  5. unknownmosquito

Ah, obviously because Steam isn't running the special PHP script ;) but yeah it should in theory be running the JS at least.

This is the GPU I'm using:
    … common/Planetary Annihilation $ lspci | grep -i nvidia
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF108M [NVS 5400M] (rev a1)

It's Bumblebee compatible but I'm not using it. I just have it set to use the discrete graphics all the time.

I tried symlinking both libcurl.so.3 and libcurl.so.4 to the local directory from the Steam runtime and got the same missing OpenSSL support complaint from the executable; I'm going to leave my custom built libcurl in place for now since at least PA tries to start (and gets to the black screen) with that in place, but ideally I'd like a fix so that I can start the game from within Steam, and then it'll be irrelevant.

Also I realize I put this in the wrong forum by mistake; the bugs subforum wasn't available to me until after I logged out and back in after linking my Steam account. Again, I see no reason that forum shouldn't be world-visible so that it's indexable by Google.

EDIT: lol didn't mean to include my audio card info, deleted that from the lspci output
    Last edited: December 26, 2013
  6. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm get what might cause your problem. Try to exit PA, then run "ps aux | grep CoherentUI" from console. If you see any Coherent process still running when you already quit PA it's mean you need to kill those processes directly.

Make sure that Coherent is not running and then run PA though Steam with JS fix applied. I guess it's should work then.

So Intel HD completely disabled, correct?

You don't need to symlink anything, you need to run PA with Steam runtime instead of your system libraries.
  7. unknownmosquito

… common/Planetary Annihilation $ ps aux | grep CoherentUI
    ian 24386 0.0 0.0 10660 1084 pts/5 S+ 13:41 0:00 grep CoherentUI

Nothing running..

Yeah, disabled in the BIOS even.

Yeah, I realize that, but I'm not exactly sure how I'm supposed to do that. Symlinking is my lazy hackish way to do it. I did find in the Mac/Linux Getting Started a workaround for the black screen for my distribution (Arch) so I've got that working when I run PA from the command line now, at least. The results running it from Steam and the command line are now the same: game starts, no cursor.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Then I don't think problem related to same problem. Not sure what to recommend you, but probably you'll have to play around Xorg/Nvidia drivers settings or find somebody else with same problem. Especially check X server options related to cursor handling, e.g"SWCursor", "HWCursor".

Unfortunately I don't have any laptops with Nvidia hardware to test it. :(
  9. unknownmosquito

Wamp wamp, thanks for the help anyway. Do you have enough forum privs to move this to the bugs subforum? I'll keep hacking on it and see if I can figure out what's going on.

I really want to get this game running -- I was a TA fanboy back in the day and have been wanting something like PA ever since! I even bought SupCom right when it came out, what a letdown :(
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

No, but you can ask mods about that. They all have green nickname and 3 of them now online. Also it's better to move this topic to Mac/Linux subforum.

I guess it's some system or drivers bug.

Please go though PA#1595 comments again and check if you have any other graphics missing. If not it's probably not related to game problems.
  11. unknownmosquito

Without the cursor I'm unable to actually start a game to find out if there's anything else missing. Laboriously, I was able to swap between windowed and fullscreen mode, to determine that this doesn't help, and I also installed a different desktop environment and ran it from in there and that wasn't helpful either. I also tried manually enabling both HWCursor and SWCursor (separately, of course) to no avail.