Thoughts on the New Patch

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zack1028, December 18, 2013.

1. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

Oops
  2. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Yes I agree with everything what you said.. they probably just broke the former mesa stuff when implementing the new features. They'll be back eventually.. that's just the nature of iterative development. They've stated their goal is the concept art look, that's good enough for me. I would imagine the relatively small scale of the planets compared to the units and terrain features poses some problems in creating meaningful and visually functional height differences.

Bonus pic: real life table mountains are amazing too. [​IMG]
  3. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

sorry but sometimes a game is decided by a screw up in the boring repetitive areas..... yes it would allow newer, and slower players a better chance. But as I've said a million times ... there's a learning curve with every game. Base notifications are fine and dandy. But boring repetitive action is what ultimately defines a lot of matches in an rts
    Last edited: December 19, 2013
  4. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

And why should the boring repetitive actions define the match? Wouldn't it be better if it was decided by a unique, interesting decision made by a skilled player? This isn't about making a "casual" game that has a skill cap that anyone can reach in a week. There's an old saying that goes "easy to learn, difficult to master" and I think that is the ideal situation every game should strive for.
  5. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

This is the nature of an rts.... not building that power, at the right time, or anti nuke, or radar, those can all severely impact your match. All of those fall under your boring......
  6. Kruptos

Kruptos Active Member

Ok let's stop right there. I don't remember saying once that I want engineers to build me a base automatically. Obviously what you build and where you build it is very important and shouldn't be left for an AI to decide.

The busywork comes when you have to come back to your base to do stuff like order more units, which could be done with an auto repeat queue function, or check in every 10 seconds your every hg building to inject larva which you have to do if you want to get enough units. Doing those things are repetitive and boring. If the automation is missing then sure, they can decide the match for you but is constantly checking them fun? Is constantly checking the minimap which is a small window at the far end of the screen fun? Is it fun to zoom in and out all the time in case someone might be moving in orbit?

Because I don't think it is.

I think it's fun to build bases and to use my armies against enemy forces. That's where I think my focus should be 95% of the time. The computer can notify me when a large army is moving towards my base or an artemis has arrived in my orbit. I can still miss those notifications and if jammers get introduced, I would not get those notifications at all.
    beer4blood likes this.