Input: Supporting Apple Magic Mouse

Discussion in 'Support!' started by coldboot, September 6, 2012.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Would you guys consider supporting the analog pan features of the Apple Magic Mouse?

It could be useful for panning the screen without having to hold a keyboard button, and continuous (rather than discrete) strategic zoom.

By the way, are there any non-Apple mice that have continuous and not discrete scroll? (That is, they don't click when you scroll the mouse wheel).

I personally have a massive PC rig from my Supreme Commander rebuild during the beta in 2007, but I'd like to try out the Magic Mouse if it works well.
  2. PrionL

PrionL New Member

+1

Also its very hard to zoom with a mighty mouse and middle clicking won't work

Is there a way to keyboard zoom instead?
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

there is but try zooming in and out in a loop, do it without trying to achieve anything then start moving the mouse.

come back and tell me the good news.
  4. PrionL

PrionL New Member

Is there a docu of all keyboard commands for Mac somewhere?

In my keyboard settings I don't see those
  5. gunshin

gunshin Well-Known Member

tell me that is not how you move around the map.
  6. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Mighty Mice and the Magic Mice are a pain to use!!
    They have the Inertial scrolling built into the hardware and in mavericks you can't turn it off.
    This makes the zooming almost uncontrollable in some situations, same when i use my microsoft scuplt touch mouse.
    I recommend using a standard 2 button mouse with scroll wheel, or a gaming mouse, not the magic or mighty mice.
  7. iammikedotorg

iammikedotorg New Member

I too had no luck with my Apple mice or trackpads. When I want to play some PA, I dig out an old/basic Dell from my "box o' wires."

Is true Mac support is going to be shipped, our common peripherals will need to be supported. That said, focus should be on bigger items such as fullscreen mode before this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yes, they will polish Mac support up, and it is unintentional for them to not have focused on these inputs as well as the scrollbar and such. I am sure they just got features up and made a control to use them and then shipped it out, and coincidentally they weren't using a mac at the time so they didn't consider it's input.

But they do have mac build specifically invested in so they can do things like this, and getting the game on mac to begin with. It was just an oversight to neglect it in this field (and fullscreen).

I am necroing this right now just to kind of ask. How different is Mac Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse from a scroll wheel? I mean, the mac version of it has to have a function that "scrolls" whether it is a different action to obtain the effect, so how hard would it be for Uber to quickly link the existing control to the mac counterpart?
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

10. brianpurkiss

The Magic Mouse is awesome.

With different swipes or taps on my mouse with one finger or up to four fingers, I can refresh the browser, change tabs, close windows, put my computer to sleep, and just about anything else I want. There's a lot of potential.

Just needs to have viable zooming in and out. Right now if I scroll ever so slightly I'm in orbital. Probably should play around with the scroll sensitivity...
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Oh, so it has hotkeys based on signature mouse actions.

That IS pretty neat, some people pay 50 dollars for World of Warcraft mice, and I considered buying one for Terraria because it is too difficult to get a hang on item switching (or buy a Nostro or left-handed-input-device that kind of adds keyboard with staggered buttons and a thumbstick). Having my computer mouse able to "double click" or "triple click" for instance, and it do a hot-function, would be fairly neat.

I just necroed this, for clarification, to bring back up this missing piece to this puzzle of game development. Would be nice to catch up on Mac functionality if it really were that easy to accomplish.
  12. brianpurkiss

Agreed.

Lots of potential with these kick *** devices.

To give some additional insight. I set up a whole bunch of custom inputs.

If I swipe up with two fingers, I refresh my browser. If I place one finger on the mouse and then tap with another finger then I can open up a window in a new tab behind my current one, if I do it the opposite way then I open up a new tab and select it. If I swipe left or right with one finger it switches tabs. If I swipe left or right with two fingers, it switches "space" (mac feature for multiple windows) If I hold down the command key on my keyboard and tap a certain spot on the mouse, my computer goes to sleep.

Just a sampling to give you an idea of the potential.
  13. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Microsoft Comfort Mouse 4500 is what I use, it has continuous scrolling. Pretty basic otherwise, 4 buttons + wheel click (which is terrible and I never use it). In PA I use left and right click obviously, third button under my thumb for panning, and scroll wheel for zooming. Feels really intuitive, then again I've used this setup for 3D modeling for some years now.