Review after 10 hours game play

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jawrgy, December 17, 2013.

1. jawrgy

jawrgy New Member

I enjoy my RTS games and this game didnt take more than a few hours to pick up.

Issues I see that must be fixed, they are not game breaking they are really just balancing issues that can be game breaking if not fixed.

1) Pelters and Holkins need a massive nurf. An army of tanks of 300 were smashed before getting anywhere near the enemies base, all they had was 2 holkins and maybe 5-6 pelters. All that happened that game was we built little works and spammed the map with Holkins.

2) You must have more than one moon because if the enemy takes hold of the moon its near impossible to invade.

3) Units move so slow.... It is incredibly painfull to watch the T2 boats move.

4) More emphasis needs to go into building armies rather than long range missles, pelters and holkins.

Other than a good match making system that punishes people for leaving the game is looking very good.
    stormingkiwi and kalherine like this.
  2. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Hey there, welcome to the forums(it looks like you're new)!

Next time please use the handy search feature up in the upper right hand corner of your screen. It saves everyone time and forum space.

1. Already been discussed in a variety of ways. At the moment the easiest way to crack artillery defenses(such as the ones you've mentioned) is to employ nukes, bombers, orbital lasers and swarms of units from multiple directions. Fine tuning balancing has yet to be done. Please be patient because IT WILL CHANGE.

2. We will soon have transporters and a unit cannon, these are coming. Right now you have the orbital units or interplanetary nukes that can hit planetoids in orbit.

3. Boats tend to be slow, rebalancing will mess around with it when it happens.

4. Moore units are coming plus rebalancing. However defenses will never protect against large multipronged attacks. Remember the world is spherical, that means you have almost a 360 attack area.

As for the matchmaking, we'll see. But people leave games when they think they've lost, that's how it is sadly.

(In be for you Brian)
    bradaz85 likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

Wont stop him oath :)
    Last edited: December 17, 2013
  4. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Do you have read what jawrgy have write?
  5. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

Also, switch to middle mouse click to right mouse click to move the camera.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

But... Then how will we give units any orders?
  7. xnavigator

xnavigator Member

That very simple: if you HOLD the right click, then you move the camera, if you click and release that's an order.

This is how every C&C manages the camera for example (look on youtube)
  8. cptconundrum

I'm very skeptical of this feature, but there's no reason to deny the option to people that want it. I bet I could make a mod for this to see how it would work. I just don't know if I have the time to get into modding right now as I'm very busy this week.

*Edit*
    I also don't think I would be able to change the default right-click behavior so that it only triggers on a right click when the mouse is released after a short time, so if I do make this mod, it would cause orders to be given every time you move the camera. Still, it would work as a proof of concept.
    Last edited: December 17, 2013
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

There are multiple defaults in games of moving a camera. There's also the left and right click click drag. It should just be a bindable key.
  10. cptconundrum

Yeah it should be, but the UI right now is hard-coded all over the place to look for specific mouse buttons. Luckily we can do a complete rewrite of the UI input handling logic as soon as development slows down enough. Any mod made now is basically guaranteed to need a rewrite a few times before release.
  11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yes. I know that. It was a comment on what Uber should do. Rather than copy another companies setup.
    cptconundrum likes this.