UberProbe Performance Upload Thread

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, September 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elitedanzel

elitedanzel Active Member

Size 2-3 metal planet, very start of the game.
    1v1 with ai.
    Everything medium, shadows off, 2560x1440.
    non-steam version.

The game runs randomly fast and slow, usually it is 8-10 fps, but randomly spikes up to 60fps.
    This happens every time I play throughout the game (ai, humans, small or big planet) and has always (since start of beta at least)

PC is a maxed out imac mid 2011 running windows 8 64bit.

One of the attached captures is a slow (10fps) one (should be the first) and the other is a 60fps one.

Happy to help test any way I can (I haven't tried in linux or mac on this pc, but could do if it would be useful). Thanks and good luck!

Attached Files:

2. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Core i5-2400 (3.6Ghz)
    GTX660
    8GB RAM

Units just standing still doing nothing and framerate drops to 25fps when zoomed in. I'm wondering if this is to do with my CPU, GPU, both, or will future optimisations fix this?

I would expect similar performance (over 60fps) as I get with Star Craft 2 (max unit cap 200 units per player = 400 units total). Is this just an optimisation issue?

Sorry if I'm not being that clear.

P.S. This game is going to be EPIC once it is finished!

Attached Files:

3. mike747

mike747 New Member

Link to this version ? I bought it on steam and would love to download this
  4. Max1045

Max1045 New Member

I can't seem to get my game to produce one of those files, but I'm having absolutely awful performance, seemingly no matter where I am in the game. Depending on zoom level, I will get either 10 or 15 fps. If I go out very far so there are no planets moving behind the one focused on, and I leave the camera still, I will get brief flashes of 59.9 fps. However, if I move it, it goes back to fifteen. Changing the graphics settings seems to have no effect at all. I've done tests in the system editor, as well. It's smooth prior to building the system. I did a test build of a seven planet system with varying planet sizes (600-200), and it took about five seconds to build it. Once it had, however, the frame rate died. Zooming and camera movement were extremely laggy, as was simulating the system. I'm very confused as to what would be causing this.

My system specs are as follows:

Intel i7 3610QM @ 2.3GHz
    Nvidia GTX 670M 3 GB
    16 GB RAM
    Windows 7 64-bit

Note: The solution posted above regarding installing the non-Steam version was completely ineffective for me. I experience identical performance in both.

Edit: I thought additional details might be useful. The frame rate problems occur even when choosing a starting position. During combat, the frame rate stays at 10 fps, and explosions and scorch marks do not render properly. Often the units will start to explode, then vanish and leave no trace, or die in one spot and leave a half-rendered scorch mark somewhere near by, often times clipping with the terrain. That's all I can think of for now, I'll edit this again if I can think of more.

Second Edit: Thanks to lokiCML, I found where my probes were being kept. This edit is to add that and my DxDiag.

Attached Files:

Last edited: October 17, 2013
    joshkdoss likes this.
  5. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Is CTRL+F11 really working still ? i do not manage to produce the file :(
  6. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

Slow End Game & the Usual 'Connection To Server Lost'-Issue

Big games (10 players, scale 4 moon) tend to get fairly slow after playing for 25 minutes. I assume it is caused by the server, since the units 'skip' over the planet. After around 45 minutes we normally loose the connection to the server.

Games:
    http://www.nanodesu.info/pastats/chart?gameId=6414
    http://www.nanodesu.info/pastats/chart?gameId=6410
    http://www.nanodesu.info/pastats/chart?gameId=6016

DxDiag:
    Uploaded

Network Speed:
    Up: 22Mbps Down: 2.34Mbps

Thanks for your support

Attached Files:

7. kongkillha

kongkillha Member

Slow End Game & the Usual 'Connection To Server Lost'-Issue

Big games (10 players, scale 4 moon) tend to get fairly slow after playing for 25 minutes. I assume it is caused by the server, since the units 'skip' over the planet. After around 45 minutes we normally loose the connection to the server.

Games:
    http://www.nanodesu.info/pastats/chart?gameId=6414
    http://www.nanodesu.info/pastats/chart?gameId=6410
    http://www.nanodesu.info/pastats/chart?gameId=6016

DxDiag:
    Uploaded

Network Speed:
    Up: 22Mbps Down: 2.34Mbps

Thanks for your support
  8. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

i press ctrl+f11 nothing happened
    i am experiencing a performance issue in which no starting positions appear on planet, aspically when i play new game, with both AI and player
  9. greendiamond

greendiamond Active Member

well with all those background processes i'm not surprised.

also if it only has low frames for a short period after zooming out try to turn off the culling feature.
  10. Overwhelmer

Overwhelmer New Member

The game runs fine for the first minute or so vs a single AI, then suddenly dips drastically in performance. Running the Uber version. It performs exactly the same on ultra and on low settings. It gets to the point where things stop rendering properly and the game becomes unplayable.

64 bit win 7.
    Intel core i7-2630 2GHz
    8Gb Ram
    AMD Radeon HD 6570/5700 Series.
  11. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

when i press ctrl+F11 nothing happens
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nothing should happen, but new .upf should be created. E.g game won't show any notice at all.

Also I'm just checked it with debugger and find out that currently UberProbe results saved to this directory:
    C:\Users\YOUR_WINDOWS_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\PerfLogs\

I'll sent message to @garat and ask him to update first post.
  13. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

thank you , i didn't know :)
  14. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Not 100% sure if this is where I should report lag and ask for assistance with it, but last night was playing a game on a size 5 planet (first game in over a month) and toward the mid-later part of the game (well, just before I got completely creamed anyway) I was experiencing some kinda lag. Not sure if I should call it a framerate issue... it seems more like a server lag issue, but I just don't know. Maybe my PC can't handle everything? But that seems highly unlikely considering my specs. What I notice on my end is units moving a short distance, everything pausing for 1/2 to 1 second, then going again for 1-2 seconds, then another pause. The frequency and length of pause increases as I continue to play. Anyway, here's my upf file and a DX Diag.

i7-2600k (Stock speed right now after a mobo upgrade several weeks ago)
    16 GB Ram
    3GB 580 GTX Ultra (factory O.C.)
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or insight about what is causing this. If it's something I need to change, I'm happy to, but I have a sneaking suspicion it may be server lag. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks again!

Attached Files:

15. dworkin

dworkin New Member

Hello All,

I've been having lag issues from the first Alpha as far as I can remember. The lag problems seem to mainly affect the UI so that the mouse over highlight is shown at least 0.5 secs after mousing over the icon. Clicking an icon has the same kind of lag and pressing, say ESC to get to the menu can lag for 2-3 secs even at the beginning of the game. I *think* that clicking to move a unit has the same kind of lag (0.5secs +) too.

I can make the lag almost vanish if I run the game in a small window but changing the graphics from Uber to Low seems to have little or no affect and according to fraps and the internal frame rate counter it *seems& like I am getting 40+ FPS at full resolution. I say seems because the internal counter is hard to read and I may be getting frame rate low spikes.. perhaps.

I've tried forcing threaded mode in the Nvidia control panel, I'm not running through Steam, I've tried setting the CPU priority to high but nothing other than changing to a small window makes any real difference.

I have a i980x CPU (6core), 12gb and a Titan.

I realise the game is really still in alpha and it looks like others have logged the problem but I thought I'd better inform you guys anyway.

Attached Files:

16. tripper

tripper Active Member

3v3, savage lag from the start. 2-5fps~

Attached Files:

17. tomasr

tomasr New Member

I was certain my PC was just too crappy to play the game. Running on an old quad core Intel with 8GB ram. But today it took me 15 minutes to get into a game. The fun part is that while the splash screen was showing "Game will start when the server has finished generating the solar system" it seems the AI actually got to start playing. Once I was dumped onto the planet without choosing where to start it was already long into the game and I was surrounded by enemy forces. I never got to actually move. The game was rather unresponsive up until the time when I was annihilated.

A suggestion would be to add some kind of progress bar to when the server is rendering the world at startup. Right now it's difficult to understand if the game has simply crashed or if it's waiting for the server to produce something.
    joshkdoss likes this.
  18. dworkin

dworkin New Member

Still having the same UI lag issues with the latest update. The game itself plays fine but the lag on the UI itself is pretty bad unless I run in a small window.
  19. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Super low FPS and the GPU and CPU utilisation is below 50%, what gives?
  20. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

Some strange stuttering in a large AI game. Inbetween stutters it was reasonably smooth, tho low fps. The stuttering may actually have delayed my inputs enough for this not to have captured it. It's difficult with these things.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.