My interplanetary nukes can't hit the enemy on the other side of the planet

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Programmdude, December 11, 2013.

1. Programmdude

Programmdude New Member

Pretty much what the title says. I can fire nukes at the moon, or vice versa, yet they can't reach to the other side of the planet? I know interplanetary nukes are new, but it does seem kinda silly.
  2. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Well it's worked on. Could you please post a more specific scenario, and maybe some screenshots?
  3. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Is it possible the nukes can only hit the side of the planet your moon faces?
  4. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Not sure, but it seemed to work all over for me.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've nuked the dark side of the moon.
  6. igncom1

I am not sure what the suns position has to do with that.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Far side of the moon. Whatever you want to call it.
    igncom1 likes this.
  8. igncom1

9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

What does this mean exactly? They don't fire at all or they hit the planet too early? More details please.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I think he meant the nukes wouldn't hit an enemy on the opposite side of the same planet - which is necessary to keep nukes from being completely OP. (they ride a fine line as it is)
  11. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I have used the new nukes to hit a person on the far side of the same planet. The only difference is they appear to enter the orbital layer rather than stay at air height.
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

They should fly at around 50 - 150 meters off the ground, depending on terrain. Higher than air units, lower than orbital units.
  13. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I think he's just talking about nuke range.

On a scale 4+ planet, nukes actually have a range which is smaller than planet size, therefore they can't hit the opposite side of the planet.

Now that they are interplanetary, it feels a bit silly to not be able to hit the opposite side of my own planet, but I can hit anywhere I want on some other, entirely different planet.

There is probably an argument to be made that nukes should have no range limit if only to make them seem consistent in their behavior. (I also think the launcher should cost a lot more and be a lot larger, physically, to make them easier to spot.)
  14. mered4

And yet, it would be really OP if it was an I CANZ HIT YOU ANYWHERE weapon.

You can run from it. :p
  15. Corang

Corang Well-Known Member

The following is an opinion:

2 types of nukes:
    Planetary and Interplanetary
    obviously interplanetary would cost more, because as slamz said it is a bit ridiculous i can hit another planet but i cannot hit on the other side of my current planet
    zweistein000 likes this.
  16. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I think I'd rather more directly address the things that makes it overpowered.

Like:
    * Anti-nuke range too short (FIXED IN LATEST BUILD)
    * Anti-nuke cost and build time is too high relative to nuke cost and build time
    * Nuke structure itself is too cheap (easy to build bunches of them just to be a distraction to scouts and bombers)
    * Nuke structure is too small and hard to quickly identify when scouting
    * Parking T2 fighters on the ground next to the nuke makes the whole place impenetrable by air, including by other T2 fighter masses

That last one really pisses me off because the primary way I've been dealing with nukes is by scouting and then sending in bombers. Enough bombers can make it past any defense.....except the "parked T2 fighter" defense.
  17. mered4

Ive never done that, but that sure is a waste of resources lol Just putting t2 fighters there.....geez

My way of dealing with nukes is to build one first. Its my official strategy now and it works quite well.
  18. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

but it doesnt make sense. I would prefer if either the nuke launcher could build a smaller, cheaper nuke, for planetary warfare with a limited range and a bigger one for interplanetary and covering also the whole planet, or if there were 2 nuke launchers, one for planets and one for interplanetary (which then also could hit the whole planet)
  19. mered4

I'll quote: "We are not shooting for realism, we are shooting for AWESOME."

And yes, I do agree. I think IP nukes should be in a silo or something and be much bigger. Totally different building too, and be much more expensive.
  20. doud

doud Well-Known Member

These Interplanetary Nukes are just ...AWESOME :p

Attached Files: