Can we stop having individual threads for individual match videos?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, December 7, 2013.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We used to have clutter issues, so casters created individual threads for posting their videos.

But lately, some casters have been creating individual threads for their new videos.

I understand you want more visibility – I would love that too.

But every time you post a new match, or every few matches when one is really good, creating a new thread for this match just adds to the clutter. Creates a clogged up forum.

Please keep match postings to your single threads.

It'll keep the forum from getting cluttered.
    Last edited: December 7, 2013
    cmdandy and stormingkiwi like this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think we just need special subsection for such threads.

I don't see anything wrong in posting new video in new thread because it's easier to talk about it then.
    maxpowerz and doctorfiet like this.
  3. brianpurkiss

If we had a new forum for it, then that'd be fine.

But on this forum... it's just too cluttered.
  4. doctorfiet

doctorfiet Member

I 2nd that notion
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Streaming and live play really needs its own forum.
  6. brianpurkiss

A new forum is a neat idea, but Uber doesn't like creating new forums. Says it doesn't have enough mods.

I say they should add more mods. A lot of the mods have gone mostly inactive and there's plenty of very active community members that would love to step up to the task.
  7. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

There is youtube... That's kind of what it's for. Comment on the video.

And if you don't have a GooglePlus account - that's fair enough. But why?
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Uber want to spend time on actual game and everyone here want to see them working on game and not forums. So it's problem of limited time and lot of work as always.

Still I sure if community will have confidence that such forum is useful they will agree. ;)
  9. brianpurkiss

We did get them to add the clan forums section.

I understand Uber wanting to work on the game, not forums. That's why they should delegate and let people take care of the forums for free.

There's a bunch of shmucks on here that spend way too much time commenting on the forums.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Shouldn't this be a PM to a moderator?
  11. brianpurkiss

I think it's better to get the individuals to stop doing it rather than taking up the Mod's time. Besides, there's no real rule against creating those threads, it's just something I'm requesting that people not do. So even if I did message a mod, they can't do anything unless they change the forum rules.

I did reply specifically to masterofroflness and wpmarshall linking to this thread asking them not to create individual new threads.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unfortunately it's also require some extra time to manage questions/problems/etc. :(
    Still I do think they'll manage it one day, we just have to wait.

From my point of view linear forums with limited messages per page isn't designed to discuss multiple things in one. E.g open any 5-10 page topic and see how often same questions repeat. It's all because XenForo it's mainly designed for short topics.
  13. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

14. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Maybe in time we can break the forums down so it's not such chaos to read it.

- Balance
    - Feature Discussions (for stuff implemented)
    - Suggestions/Requests
    - Casts
  15. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

So, as I understand it, I am a litter bug. Though I could equally say having a thread just to complain about 2 members is causing clutter.
    If there is a problem, please use PMs, it avoids 'shaming and naming' embarrassment, and it also prevent those who take this much time to complain in a public place from looking, for want of a better phrase; quite daft.

My reasoning behind the separate threads; Lately the BIIIIG games have appeared and I think anyone who thought it would go unchecked is a little silly; and given that I enjoy watching games so much, why can't others?
    This was not about personal advertisement, this is about enjoyment of a game which deserves to be enjoyed by as wide an audience as possible.

If it was about personal advertisement, why do I have a thread where I upload all of my videos regularly?

Sorry if I come across as slightly peeved, but I do feel insulted and 'got at', and quite unnecessarily too.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

I didn't intend to insult at all.

I did this post publicly so other people wouldn't do the same things. If I PMed you, and then someone saw your thread, then they'd do that, then I'd PM them... It'd be like me PMing new forum members whenever anyone asks if there will be more units.

Why do you have the personal thread? For publicity.

But having a new thread for each individual video then clutters the front page. Think if it continued and people posted these types of things – then the entire front page would be nothing but threads of different casters with their videos. If 5 casters created a new thread for each of their new videos every day on the home page, and the discussion kept on bumping them up, the front page would be nothing but different threads with casts – the forums would die. The individual thread for promoting means there's only one thread. Not one thread per new video.

Again.

I had no personal attack intentions. I am all for promoting casters. Heck, I built an entire website to promote casters and help them, and you, gain publicity.

I just want the forums to remain healthy and uncluttered.

Again, no personal attack at all.
    cmdandy, syox and Culverin like this.
  17. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I actually would like a way to clean up the forums as well. It's kind of annoying to see people build a dedicated thread to their videos or others and then they go out and put up a random post when they think it's "noteworthy".

The only reason I can see people continuing this practice is to simply try and get more views by putting more ads(yes, they are ads) all over the forum. We do not need that.

So, I have to agree with Brian and SXX, either people need to just stop and/or stick to one thread a piece, or we should see about the possibility of a dedicated forum for people to litter in. I think that this problem goes beyond just two people. But the main problem is that the newbs that come in see it and might think it's alright to do the same.

Be an example! Show the world how to have a clean forum! Unite for order!
  18. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I have made my point and hope you take it on board, as I have understood yours.
    I will say no more on the matter, other than finding that 2 or 3 threads for great entertainment not worthy of making a song and dance about.
  19. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

Gosh everyone lets not come at each others throats here what are we romans?
  20. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General