Nuke Explosion colour

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by FXelix, December 7, 2013.

1. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

This is only a little Suggestion: make the nuke explosions a bit more colourful, orange or more explosive like the picture.
    Or, as a feature, make the colour like the team colour, this would make the nuke wars more colourful ^_^

Attached Files:

Timevans999 and rippsblack like this.
  2. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

nah, in my opinion team colored nuke explosion is not cool,
  3. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Might be cool if they were a bit more mushroomy, but I'm not up for neon-coloured team explosions really. Once arty stuff starts getting honed this game's going to be beautiful..
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Aren't they still using the same first pass effects? Or am I thinking of the commander death blast....

Mike
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think it's first pass right now. Ideally Uber will be able to do volumetric effects for smoke and explosions and stuff, but that's expensive to render.

At least, it looks like they used volumetrics for the explosions in the Kickstater video, which I think everyone will agree looked awesome.

Also, explosions are currently missing that cartoony shockwave ring we saw in the concept video; that also adds a lot to the effect, IMHO.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Nukes, and just about everything for that matter, will be receiving visual updates.
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

But nukes aren't orange.

Seriously, they're not.
  8. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

No, nukes are mostly just a lot of smoke. However, I know a lot of people got pissed off by this but I really liked the bright white flash of the supcom nukes. It really gave a sense of the immense power being unleashed (and made it even more obvious when one went off). Plus that's what actual nuclear blasts look like.

EDIT: Here's a (terrifying) video for reference:
    Arachnis likes this.
  9. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

Team coloured nukes might be nice if they weren't too strong on the colours but rather tinted effect or something?

Optional as always would be good to keep all folks happy
  10. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

i liked nuclear explosions in supcom, they were really awesome.

and for people who doesn't like the flash, well that's what nukes are, a nuke that doesn't roast you alive just by its light is merely a big firecracker, deal with it or make sure they doesn't hit you =)
  11. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Speaking of cool nuke effects. My favorite one was this small tactical nuke.

12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

If the colors aren't immediately apparent(and how would you do a two-tone explosion anyways?) just vaguely tinting it doesn't really accomplish anything you know?

Also as with anyone who proposes something be optional, I have to ask what the Default is?

Mike
  13. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

I must say, in this video the explosions are mostly orange.. But the explosion colour is maybe not in every country the same, I don't know, maybe because of the climate or something like that...
  14. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

The amount of time they are orange depends on the payload and type of nuke. Standard, non hydrogen (fission) nukes are single stage and a lots cooler (as fission is easier to achieve than fusion) while hydrogen (fusion) are multi-stage and extremely hot.
    Stage 1 - TNT (or some other explosive) induces a standard nuclear fission of plutonium core this is hot, but no that hot. On its own this cools down pretty easily.
    Stage 2 - that fission heats up the container made of uranium, inside which there is Lithium Hydride and a plutonium rod. That causes both the casing and the rod to undergo fission as well
    Stage 3 - that exerts extreme pressures to Lithium Hydride and exposes it to great temperatures and radiation that force it to undergo fusion, releasing an awesome amount of power that actually takes some time to cool down.
  15. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Well there's certainly an orange glow, but the nukes in PA already have a fiery glow in the centre. You can't deny that the predominant visual by far are the huge clouds of black smoke, and of course the mushroom cloud (which I would like to see).
    I agree a shockwave would be nice too. If the shockwave flattened trees before the main blast ignited them that would look fantastic.
  16. legio113

legio113 New Member

1 Nuclear Blast has a strong glow as it is one of the damaging factors. 2 On different planets nuclear explosion should go its own way.
  17. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

That is already 50% implemented. Trees disappear when you nuke them.
  18. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

You could colour the shock-wave, the initial flash, I'm sure smarter people than me work in the graphics department could figure out something.

Additionally the point is just that its a cool effect, Default status of the option could be determined through the course of the beta (whatever option is used most?). Could just leave it as off by default as with other advanced graphics options.

Not really sure on how you would do two-tone explosion as you say, I'm not a game developer or graphic artist so yea, just think it would be a nice feature to have. Something for polish.
  19. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

Personally this gets a huge; no thank you! from me. Team coloured/ two tone explosions make me shudder.
  20. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I find the continuous sound beginning at 2:55 to be bone-chilling.