100 man game.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Methlodis, December 4, 2013.

1. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

10-15 player games is ample. We have been doing fine with 10 up until recently, so I think that overlooking the extra 5 you are providing very generously is a little too far. Especially considering all the new players from the recent sale spam in various places all the new players deserve the best first impression they can get.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  2. cumsume

cumsume Member

now that i had a taste, i cant wait ^^
  3. shougat

shougat New Member

Flied too close to the sun....
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

If I was pulling the number 10 out of a dark place, I might agree, but we have the number hard set at 10 for a lot of very strong data driven reasons derived from memory usage, CPU usage and network usage per server instance.
    shootall likes this.
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I get ya. Well it was a very nice sneak preview, massive player games in PA are going to be straight-up awesome ^.^
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Keep in mind - you guys did nothing wrong. :) The job of beta testers is to find stuff. You guys found it. When it was a small thing not being used very often, it was a low risk to leave it in for now. But as large public threads start to appear, and it risks all players experience, we have to clamp it - once the cat is out of the bag, you have no choice. And as the developer, it is our job to fix stuff we know can wreck the experience for people. Even if it's an AWESOME EXPLOIT.

As was said, you flew a little too close to the sun. ;-)
    Quitch, drz1, tatsujb and 7 others like this.
  7. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

Damn you TheWrongCat!
    stuart98 and brianpurkiss like this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

you guys really asked quite loud for uber to react like this xD
    shootall likes this.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

BTW I was kinda surprised when the bigger games started happening but thought it was REALLY cool. I think you guys are starting to see the possibilities of the technology we've built. Scalability has been a design constraint from day 1. I think the client/server design is showing it's strength and this really is exciting stuff.

Realistically though we hadn't turned this on because we weren't really ready to deal with it yet. I'm very very encouraged by the big games that have been played so far. Once we get the server issues worked out and add multi-planet start I can see my vision of 40 player games working... and obviously larger if we all think it's more fun to go there.

In other words we aren't mad, this stuff is great, but we do have to shut it off for the moment. Sorry!

4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4v4 might just be pushing it ;)
  10. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Meanwhile, SupCom chokes and dies on a Setons. :p

This level of scalability is pretty much what RTS players have wet dreams about.
    stuart98, Quitch, cwarner7264 and 3 others like this.
  11. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

Different cat... =3
    stuart98 and cwarner7264 like this.
  12. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

To be fair, because of the team restraints (based on colour pallet available), we could only sustain 10 teams: 10v10v10v10v10v10v10v10v10v10
    :)
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

So you are saying that these games are eating the server's processing/rendering, thus slowing down other games?

So, what will fix this? Better hardware or faster software? Do you know? Will it take long?

Because I WANT IT.

I think we all WANT IT. :D
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I'm drooling right now. :D The sheer amount of units would cause my computer to crash the GPU LOL
  15. doctorfiet

doctorfiet Member

Indeed! "PLEEAASE stop this serversided" ;)
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There is also might be limitated for network speed like 100mbps (probably higher on AWS, but still not unlimited). You know that PA is bandwidth-greedy and each player might need some connection.

So even if game not affect CPU and RAM much (and commanders-only game won't affect it really) players count still affect network usage.

Garat said about balancing. Currently UberNet run 8 games on each instance and it's designed to work well while each game have up to 10 players which give 80 players per server.

It's mean when you running 40-players game there still might be 7 others 10 players games running on same CPU and RAM (not really hardware because it's cloud instances). It's mean server might have 110 players instead of 80 it's designed for.

So at least Uber need to implement balancing features on backend which will prevent to hosting too many players on same server. E.g if server already have 40 players game running it's will only run 4 other 10 players games on it.
    drz1 likes this.
  17. bradburning

bradburning Active Member

So sad I missed this 100 player game. Seeing the response from uber has put out its awesome.
  18. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Hold the phone - something's just hit me.

You're saying that the main reason for having to restrict these is due to the load on your servers...

So when the game does hit release, and you put out the server... we can run a single instance of PA on one of ours and shoot for 200 players?
    reptarking likes this.
  19. snierke

snierke Active Member

For those of you who actually want to see a big game this is a working 40 player game streamed by @clopse
    Actual game starts at around 7 minutes.
    (If you wonder where I am in the game (Snierke light blue team)? Well I am the target for that planet smashing at around 58 minutes :( )

Hope to see more of these games!

Snierke
  20. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

And iirc,
    The "server" right now was like simulating 4-8 games at once...