server question

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, November 23, 2013.

1. technos

technos New Member

Hello,

I would strongly to purchase Planetary Annihilation on Steam, but I want also to ask You if my system supports the game. My system is: Cpu Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU 3.10 GHz, Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit, installed RAM 4 GB, GeForce GTX 550 Ti, API Direct3D 11, dedicated video memory 1GB. I expect anxiously a Your, I hope positive, answer. Many thanks. Bye
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

You should definitely upgrade to a 64 bit Windows. Maybe also get some extra ram (upgrade to 8 GB) - it is really cheap at the moment.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  3. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Windows 32bit may casue you issues.
    64bit windows is recommended for beta.
    There are workaround for the issues but it's more recommended that if you want to play games that will use 4gb of ram or more to upgrade to a 64bit version of windows as most 32bit operating systems have a 3gb ram limitation
  4. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Your hardware will run the game fine, but the 32bit OS will cause you issues..
  5. savagenh

savagenh New Member

I certainly hope you reconsider the "one game instance per server" approach. We host 15 dedicated servers for our community, most of which are now running a Intel Xeon E3 1270v2 w/ 32gb & a 480GB SSD (with a 1gbit connection), and I think they could probably handle 3-4 PA instances (once they are optimized, of course). I'd hate tp have that much hardware and only be able to host a single game with it.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I think you misread him, currently around 400 games run on these things, if i copy correctly.
  7. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Not sure how you went from 8 to 400. o_O
    SXX likes this.
  8. tatsujb

woops. well I assumed that as the game count can go that high.

so that means they must have an army of these machines.
  9. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Because one server can handle 8 instances currently. We have a lot more than one server. :) And we have (effectively) huge scalability through AWS.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. savagenh

savagenh New Member

Ah - 8 instances. That works - I was mostly concerned about having enough private instances available to our community to be cost-effective per machine. If we can run at least 8 on one of our boxes, then that should be fine.

Here's hoping the server client is 64 bit and fully multi-threaded to take advantage of modern server hardware :)

I think you guys made a great choice offloading all the heavy lifting to a server - I've been wishing for a long time that Supcom2 would have done that years ago.

Something else community centric that would be great is a robust stats XML feed from the servers to allow us to develop custom automated tracking solutions (leaderboards, ladders, etc.)
  11. tatsujb

12. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I can probably help(!) here. I've been bugging them for an answer to this question and so far, not a peep, because they still don't know the answer themselves :p
  13. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Any decent gaming machine (minus the graphics card) is still going to be similar in many specs to a server. Beyond that, we don't have more information to provide yet.

We did have a discussion yesterday about, at least in PlayFab, making our game instances costed on a more variable scale, which should make our own server utilization a bit better, but since most of that lives in our infrastructure, it's less of a direct server issue.

We've had a lot of discussions on areas we can improve server and client performance in the last few days, as well as some additional bandwidth improvement ideas - though that's already gotten a lot better in most instances. And any work on that front just continues to hopefully bring down the per instance requirements not only for us, but eventually anyone running a server.
    LavaSnake and tatsujb like this.