For Backers Only: Megabot Experiment

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by garat, March 14, 2013.

1. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

"Weapon x deals more damage against unit y than unit z." Why? Sounds arbitrary to me. If unit z is supposed to be 'armored' why not just give it more HP? That's why different units have different HP amounts in the first place...
  2. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Someone mentioned a way to do extra damage to megabots so it was just a suggestion to make that work. =p
  3. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

The anti mega bot weapons could fire slower but do twice the hp damage as the other megabot. No rules needed, since he fires slow and does massive (single) target damage, who cares if this bot can one hit a tank when you have 300 in your group
  4. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

How much slower? What makes this unit not overpowered when compared to other non-MegaBot units?
  5. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

Sounds just like nukes and anti-nukes, which are also incredibly boring and binary.

Why would I build an anti-mega bot, which is only good at killing the megabot, when I could build a regular megabot to kill their megabot? It is the same way with nukes and anti-nukes. You are better off building the destructive weapon, rather than the thing that defends against it, because your destructive weapon has other uses. The "anti-" destructive weapon is only useful in one case, past that it doesn't help at all.
    MigraineMaddox likes this.
  6. shotforce13

You should read my earlier post, the bots that i SUGGESTED do not do only one thing. Having a mega bot that is also good at anti air for your army would make it useful past killing other mega bots. Seriously relax...
  7. shotforce13

My suggestion, which thats what it is is based on rules that are already in the game, rate of fire and damage per shot. So im commenting on using special rules to make this work.
  8. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I decided to make a list of Experimentals (Megabots, whatever).:p I've tried to make them all a bit different.

Just some ideas. Nothing to serious. ;)
    (I didn't include experimental sub, flying aircraftcarrier.)

Don't wanne make a giantly long post so.
  9. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

I thought about this, and I would suggest this option:

Make a megabot factory. Then make 3 Megabot-types available, all of them with much higher cost than T2 units.

The first one is a defensive type. It has a high amount of HP and is able to shoot down tactical missiles and big artillery shells (like that of the Holkins). Artillery AI will take it as the highest priority target, unless you tell them otherwise. It's moving slowly, but has a long lifespan. Repairing it is very expensive though. Not many weapons, in fact it could easily be killed by the same amount of ressources spent in T1 units, but it's purpose is to support lower tier units. Maybe it has some anti-air though (and maybe you could build an anti-nuke on that thing or other fancy stuff).

The second one is like an assault bot. Not as expensive as the one above, but not that much better than T2, either. It doesn't have many hitpoints, but is equipped with deadly beams with mediocre range and a long range rocket barrage artillery with a very slow rate of fire, low accuracy and aoe damage. It's very vulnerable to bombers, and generally an easy target to kill if seen alone.

The third one is a rocket bot. You build it, and it goes all out Transformers and turns into a rocket. It's purpose is to help to invade other planets. Make it so that it is weaker than the other megabots, but able to travel quickly around the planet, and to other planets. It can't fight in orbit (maybe a little bit of defence of some kind, if needed), but as soon as it lands it can attack ground and air. It is not really ment to be cost efficient if used head-on against other units that excell in that type of battle. Rather it is ment to be able to exploit that little time window that exists when your enemy just landed on another planet. They'll have to think twice whether or not to build defences and factories before starting to build halleys.

So these are just examples on how the Megabot(s) could be. I'd find it very cool if there was more than one and if they'd be specialized. Also I tried to put emphasis on not making lower tier units redundant, and on not making megabots a no-brainer.

It's just to show that it could work without creating obsolescence. I don't say that it has to be exactly like this.
    Last edited: November 7, 2013
  10. archcommander

archcommander Active Member

11. MigraineMaddox

MigraineMaddox New Member

I think you guys should work on getting all the cool stuff you've been telling us about and then if you still have money and time work on the cool Experimental super units and things.

I like the idea (Really like) but please finish the other stuff first.
    Last edited: November 14, 2013
    archcommander likes this.
  12. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Hi all I know this threads a little old now, but I just want to say I would support this stretch goal on kickstarter.

For me this guy said what I was thinking....

My favourite use for a unit that looks like the one shown would be a long range sniper with the silo's on his shoulder's performing anti missile attacks that would cover supporting bot's/tanks.

He would also be an easy target for artillery fire, so you would have to be carefull with him as he would also be expensive.

I also really like the idea of a seagoing transport for land units, and also an orbital drop ship.
  13. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

this magobot looks cool
  14. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Because its more realistic and more interesting in terms of gameplay.

It can create more interesting unit dynamics. You can have chain guns, which do low damage against armor. The armor mitigates the damage. But antiarmor weapons destroy the same units

Use bombers as the example - it means that you can have bombers doing massive damage against structures with a lot of health; but have their shrapnel do poor damage to units.

Hp and dps is a fairly simple system.

To use another example, it means you can keep the AA towers ability to shoot at land and air, and decrease its damage against 'armored' land targets.

It means you can make Ants more 'armored' than Doxes, so "pelter splash" is much less effective than it is for "doxes"
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

But you don't NEED armor types to do those things.

But this is an old, old topic.

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. keterei

keterei Active Member

I think that the size is perfect and proportional to the world. In terms of how powerful it would be, I don't think it should bring more damage, but more quantity. So, a lot of normal damage. This way other units can still be measured to it. "What you see is what you get." So really it would just be another way to use your economy. You could decide to build this mega unit instead of producing 100 tanks, or whatever. Both options would (under the same conditions) cost the same amount of time and resources, and produce the same amount of fire-power. So in the end it's just a matter of having all your eggs in one basket or not. Each mega-unit type would have the same strengths and weaknesses as the smaller units in its category.

My 2 cents.
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The same amount of metal in tanks should produce a bit more DPS or have more HP, as with the tanks the DPS goes down slowly as the battle goes on, whereas for the megabot the DPS remains the same throughout the whole battle until it dies.
  18. deathcoy

deathcoy New Member

This is the thing that i really hate about this forum and it is extremely rampant. Some people here are not very receptive of suggestions and opinions of other backers, very prone to go on an offense or defense. Suggest something and they start to pull out a spreadsheet about how your idea sux and then throw a noble prize thesis at you about how everything you say sux. Maybe they are the 10k backers, i dunno, but they sure as hell ain't an Uber dev. Every backer has equal rights to express themselves, there is no need to demean and kill them just because they think differently.

*Sigh* I gave up trying to get involved in the game already with these Nazis policing the forums 24/7.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  19. shotforce13

Its the difference between being an adult or not. I wouldnt give up tring to post your suggestions, why let them win.

Granted my ideas arnt solid gold, but really what good ideas are until you try them with some polish.
  20. Telvi

Telvi Member

If the Megabot will come we will need some stationary defences against him. Like a big single laser turret design like a Holkins. Which fires one big laser beam to the Megabot. But it can only shoot at the Megabot. The Bot should have some rocket launchers but you can only use it as a special ability to shoot them to an area, 20 of them like bombardment. If the bot shoots with its normal cannon he should stand still, fires, stand still,,fires ......... There should be also an animation of the gun. Moving parts which spreads and then shoot.