The Sun is too small...

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by FXelix, November 29, 2013.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Like every other rts games? Ever seen some triggers you can use in ra2 "final alert 2" map editor? Constant unit spawning, infinite cash and energy, infinite superweapons, all only for you if you choose.

Adding mutual options could never be that bad. Pfft, orbital travel speed should have a slider for those wanting quick travel.
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

This isn't a lobby option. It is a MAP. What happens to shitty maps? They DIE.
  3. EternityCoder

EternityCoder New Member

For making the systems realistic (and therefore immersive), the sun should definitely be significantly bigger than the planets, instead of being similar (or smaller!) in size. In addition, planets would be much farther from the sun, so it wouldn't occupy the entire background when looking at a planet. Interplanetary transportation would also have to be sped up.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  4. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Luckily for all of us, Uber are making this game based on what's fun to play rather than what's realistic. Having planets larger than stars does bother me a bit, but if it makes for better gameplay they could turn the sun into an enormous pumpkin for all I care.
    nawrot and Quitch like this.
  5. Tankh

Tankh Member

I'd rather have a smaller sun actually.
    Something that looks more like this:
    [​IMG]
    than just a yellow ball. It should be quite bright I think, it being a star and all...
  6. thetrophysystem

Attached Files:

stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The history of money maps indicates otherwise.
  8. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

I agree with the 'smaller' part but disagree with the 'brighter' part. :p
  9. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

The world wouldn't be so bright. Like tankh's post, only if you look into the sun.
  10. thetrophysystem

You are on one part of the planet. The enemy is just a little way's away. The sun is on the horizon they are on. How do you observe them while keeping that sob out of your eyes? Any time you go to your stuff then back over to theirs, you will be like "dammit, I keep turning facing it!", then you got to readjust it every time to get rid of the sun. Intentional avoidance? ...or not making it in the first place?
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  11. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

To be honest, I trust Uber to get this issue right, even if it's not soon. I'm no programmer, but I can't imagine it's hard to change a few parameters scaling the sun.
  12. bobucles

Is there some problem with other people having fun? I don't see why anyone would get personally upset over what other people choose to host. If you don't like it, build your own hosting server. The existence of maps that you don't personally like isn't an inherent problem with the game.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

In a community of an infinite size that argument would hold water.
  14. bobucles

If people don't want to play the core game type, that's not a problem with custom maps.
  15. EternityCoder

EternityCoder New Member

I understand that you want the sun to look smaller from the planets, but that is accomplished by increasing the distances from planets to the sun. Take our solar system as an example: The sun's radius is over 100 times that of the earth, but it looks like a tiny dot in the sky due to the distance. Obviously realistic scale is out of the question for PA, but a step in that direction is better than making the sun smaller than planets.
  16. Gardentwine

Gardentwine Member

I think giving the chance to adjust Sun (Size , Colour, Type)
    Add more distance between planets
    Solar Systems more that 2 planets - without performance loss
    Wouldn't that be Awesome.

Surely adding bigger distance wouldn't that increase performance, because the far of planet would be less detailed. (Practically we see Mars and Venus in our sky as Dots. and these are the closest to us.)

Yea i know the realism of travel to far of planets by the orbital craft would seem unrealistic and was talk about in live stream, but why do we think that! if the AI is able to destroy Planets and move Asteroids then they got the tech to travel faster than we can imagine. meaning its not so unrealistic to travel great distance in a Short time, there is no speed restrictions to non organics for a start.
  17. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

With the orbital speed up that Uber is implementing, the size of the sun will be less of a factor of game play. Not only that, but it allows us to be more willing to put planets farther away from the sun, which makes it appear smaller in the sky. So we can easily have a slightly larger sun that doesn't affect game play in a negative way.
  18. Artamentix

Artamentix Member

I want some variations on the sun. It would be nice to have some games played in a binary system, pulsar, red dwarfs/giants, blue giants, a system with planets orbiting a black hole. Would be interesting!
  19. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Yeah, I really would like that. That was my point too.
  20. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Black hole? My brain can't imagine a solar system with no star... Interesting.

Oh yes of course we shouldn't forget about different stars with different sizes and colors. Ever heard of a 'brown dwarf'?