City's on earth planets ??

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by maxpowerz, November 30, 2013.

?

Do you think City's and houses should be added to Earth planet's ? (First post for an Example)

1. Yes just Houses

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Yes Houses and Skyscrapers

122 vote(s)
    85.9%
  3. No Cities and or Road's

17 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I'm still working some shape into the building's
    I made the houses less like monopoly houses, they were just placeholders while i thought up a nicer looking idea.lol
    I'm working on the roof's of the skyscrapers slowly, i want to leave the sides flat and just put a bit of shape into the roof as that's what the player will see the most.

Once i have finished that i will export each building individually texture it then export the needed FBX and make the bones in 3Ds MAX or copy the bones out of a tree file and use that as a base :)
    then i'll edit a tree group file to make the group bones more uniform like a city, and have the group file call the building's instead of trees.
    hopefully i'll have a working example by the end of the week in the system editor :)
    once i do i'll pass you the info and file so you can have a look too.
    i'll also add comment's to all the edits in the .json's so you can see what i've done :)
    it'll be easier to explain that way.

Attached the pictures of where i'm at with building shapes and scale that won't affect the overall look of a planet.

Attached Files:

Last edited: December 1, 2013
  2. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

I would like to see some kind of visual interest in the sides, even if sparse, give them pinches, or push the corners out to give them some variety, otherwise I like the direction this is headed
    maxpowerz likes this.
  3. maxpowerz

I'm hoping the texturing will add more wow to the side's without the need for extra geometry, as most game's are played with the veiw from above i want to keep the less looked at faces to minimal geometry complexity and add those fine details in with texturing..
    If that fail's i will bevel the edges on some building and add some side feature's maybe awnings or just some extra shape so they aren't so square.
  4. enderdude

enderdude Member

hopefully someone like Garat sees this, this is a great idea, the abandoned cities would add a great feel to the game because of the downfall of humanity.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  5. Cryonicfire

Cryonicfire Member

Well... I think there should be a difference with earth and earth with cities because sometimes I just want a plane earth planet. My idea is to have a way to turn that feature off.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  6. maxpowerz

somewhere i posted, it should be based on planet temperature, if the planets temp is between 40-50 then they appear if not then just plain earth with trees is what you get in generation. if the temp range to make them appear is small they wont show very often in random generation
    It's settable inside the .json of the earth type planets.
    And temp is settable in system editor planet editor.
  7. maxpowerz

wow i can't believe this post has got so many votes already :)
    i should make an improved version of the art for the first post ..
    Add some texture to make it look nice instead of just grey box's
  8. Telvi

Telvi Member

I like the idea of making a planet more like a planet. But if you are making a mod isn't it hard to say where the city is located? I mean the game has to know where it should generated and where not. It make no sense if the citiy is in the middle of nowhere
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Just have it generate near water
  10. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

I'm no modder but isn't it difficult to make the buildings placement look like there was somekind of infrastructure?
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

the bigest problem would be to set them at a proper angle similar to how the basebuildings are set i think
    ghost1107 likes this.
  12. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Jup, that was the point I was trying to make. :D
  13. maxpowerz

it's not hard to do...
    i can make a grouping brush that call's the buildings in a neat layout like my + shaped idea in the first post :)
    The model's have a bone inside them linked to its orientation.
    inside a grouping file are a heap of bones that call the main model, these bones in the grouping file can be set to be uniform and facing all in right angle directions to make a uniform city layout..
    TADA... easy...
    I can do it, only thing i'm having issues with are my models breaking when i convert them to the .papa format for the game.
    here's a pic of me replacing one of the tree models with a house (model got broken during conversion :()
    Houses replacing tree's...jpg
    ghost1107 likes this.
  14. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

maybe its because of the way the trees are integrated? like maybe they load so that the models intersect with the ground. Is there a way of looking at the modals? would making them taller or giving hem a bigger base work to make them taller? What is the height limit for biom objects, and how is that factored in, if at all?
  15. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Not Houses, but cities from Future...
    and for Metal Planets some Holes , like Coruscant(1313)
  16. stormingkiwi

**** Disney.
  17. Telvi

Telvi Member

doesn't matter if its disney or something else IF its looking awesome :D
  18. stormingkiwi

Coruscant 1313 is indefinitely postponed, and will be picked up by a different studio if it is picked up at all...
  19. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Ahw man, seriously...? I was looking forward to that game. :(

@maxpowerz I can't wait to see what you are going to make! :D
    maxpowerz likes this.
  20. maxpowerz

I tried to make a concept picture for a pyramid brush/feature on a planet..
    Pyramid concept.jpg

I still think the "Rare City" on Earth planet's and "Ruin's and or Pyramid's" on Tropical planets would be an awesome idea!!!,
    "I hope Uber maybe decide to go with it and add this themselves...",
    A pyramid with a nice texture and some rectangles with some nice textures,
    I'm hoping wouldn't be to hard for them to implement,

I'd do it if i could.. But, I'm finding making it a mod extremely difficult. (might need to assemble a team)
    I know what to do but converting the models is a fail.
    I still can't get my "Greybox" city buildings to convert into anything i can use in PA yet.
    Everything i convert to "papa" break's still turning into a "Poly Mess" :(:oops:
    Last edited: December 3, 2013
    ghost1107 likes this.