City's on earth planets ??

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by maxpowerz, November 30, 2013.

?

Do you think City's and houses should be added to Earth planet's ? (First post for an Example)

1. Yes just Houses

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  2. Yes Houses and Skyscrapers

122 vote(s)
    85.9%
  3. No Cities and or Road's

17 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

But if you Have fished the mod, wie cannot play it yet, right :( ? Because this must be in the Server files?!
    maxpowerz likes this.
  2. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

I can't post images because of the stupid forum rules for new members, but you should do a quick google search of Bauhaus , Brutalism, Industrial, and Neomodern, they're all architectural styles that I think would result in fruitful research. Deco kind of veers away from the design of the game, but I've seen fractally generated designs that match it pretty perfectly
  3. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

While cities would be interesting. I wouldn't shape them like ordinary houses. We are speaking of a time far far in the future. Blocky cities are probably replaced by more fluid structures as mankind is already doing. It would be hard to actually decide on a theme for these so called ruins.

Instead I'd love to see a sense of scale in this game, some rocks being small, some being large and others just being so wide that units can use it as an outpost or travel route.
  4. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Id also love to see previous bases that have been destroyed.
  5. davorien

davorien New Member

I think it's a good idea!

Someone mentioned that because it's in the future, the buildings should look futuristic, but I also think they should still all be decayed and ancient. Ancient Pyramid-like ruins yes, ancient futuristic cityscape ruins yes!

This could be worked in well for the storyline of the game, to give contextual background. People were saying it is difficult to weave a good story into this kind of game fluidly, I think information on loading screens and between fights (Briefings etc), as well as cutscenes and some contextual ancient ruins in game would be all you'd need to create a dynamic storyline that doesn't give a "wall of text" approach. Or blow the budget either :p

So this idea can add depth on multiple levels, to the landscape and the storyline, which a lot of people are asking for. Good Idea mate! :D
  6. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I think I would suggest a very low probability of showing ruins on planets. If they come up too often the significance would be lost.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I feel like it would be more significant to be fighting on many ruin worlds.

As it would show the utter annihilation of mankind all across the galaxy.
  8. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

I mean these aren't pioneering space travelers, these are world annihilating grey goo, there could still be people living in the buildings and the giant mechs wouldnt care/notice
  9. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    I can finaly post images, here's an example of brutalism, which is the closest modern school I think to what the overall look of the game is
    maxpowerz likes this.
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Isn't the idea that these are machines of war?

So the cities where people lived could be whatever. They could be heavily militaristic. But more likely they are airey and nature inspired and so on, lots of glass and metal and concrete, huge spindle thin sky scrapers and so on. Basically because there should be some strong contrast between the organics and the machines, and because brutalist architecture looks like concrete bunkers.

So the inhabitants of these mega cities lived and prospered in relative denial of the war proper

And then the war came, and destroyed the commander factories and so on. But left the actual cities untouched because there wasn't a lot of metal to be had.

The inhabitants died off from the radiation, or from the ecological damage that the machines did, or a combination of both

And now many years later only the skeletons of the colossal skyscrapers remain, along with the crumpled remains of infrastructure whose metal was harvested, the desolated industrial zones and the ruins of the bunkers the inhabitants built to protect themselves.
  11. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

Sine the Age of Humanity has long passed, I would love to see statues of mankind in Cities or Colossus of Rhodes monuments then having my tanks or commander just trample over them as if it was just normal rubble to underscore that point :D
  12. snierke

snierke Active Member

Buildings/cities can also have a gameplay function. I made a post about that a while ago.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/defend-a-city-alternative-gameplay-modes.48392/
    maxpowerz likes this.
  13. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Oh goodness not this... I have to watch these things all day every day (I live in London), I don't want to watch these while I try to get away from them. ;)

To be serious, yeah, I kinda see your point.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  14. dangoofed

dangoofed Member

I live in the midwest, and modernist architecture is almost everywhere. I personally find it a bit ugly but it matches the tone I think. In the case of the more ancient temple cities, maybe designs like Indian or Cambodian Buddhist temples would be more inspirational? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Again, the designs are all derivitive of fractal mathamatics, so they're fairly easy to proceduraly generate.
  15. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Yes you are correct, mod won't work without server files being changed..
    mod will only work in system editor until server is released to public.
  16. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I was planning to do procedurally generated cities as part of one of the Realm's mods, though I'm not sure I'll ever get around to it as I have yet to have experience with procedural generation. However, I am writing a procedural level generator and procedural background generator right now for a Unity game I'm working on, so we'll se how it turns out.

I know we had one guy on here a while ago who did his college final as a procedurally generated planet completel with multiple automatically created LoD models. Was that you max? I'd like to remember who this was...
    maxpowerz likes this.
  17. maxpowerz

I will get on realm speak when i have access to more internet.
    I will show you my mod idea, it uses the current procedural generation used for making the jungle biome to make my city, it's a work in progress still, but i know how the PA procedural generator for biomes works :) and how it maps biomes to planets.
    I also know how to make the grouping more uniform like a city not scattered like the trees :)
  18. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Awesome! Looking forward to it, I'll be on TS for the rest of the day.
  19. maxpowerz

i wont have access to decent internet until Wednesday :(
    i have just over 100meg of mobile prepaid net to get me through until then...
  20. maxpowerz

One sec, i'll post some pic here of where im at now with the model's and scale.