High price for Russia

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by rezender, June 15, 2013.

1. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

In this industry regional pricing is a given.
    Russia has cheaper software. Period.
    I will eat my words of it doesn't happen with PA.

Pricing decisions aren't up to the community.
    Why are you guys even discussing this?
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I dunno, if a game were sold at a much reduced price in certain markets, like Russia, South America etc., the likelihood is presumably that a few people would buy it, giving Uber some money, rather tahn everyone pirating it, giving Uber nothing?
  3. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I think one's ability to buy the game overweights other's jealousy of lower price. There is nothing to be jealous of, really.
    Because we can. It's an interesting topic, even with no relation to PA.
  4. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Considering I outright said, multiple times, that it's probably the smart thing to do for Uber - and that I thus support it, even though ideally I'm against it - I doubt I'm jealous. :p

Anyway, 'one's ability to buy the game'... Well, where do you draw the line?
  5. xxswatelitexx

xxswatelitexx New Member

Then you have no idea how economy works. For one thing each country has their own tax regime. So prices of goods cost different in each country. Also the home country of the company gets domestic tax breaks while, international goods occasionally have higher prices, this is done for promoting domestic goods.

Another thing, region locking is done because the value of the countries currency might not be competitive international standard [USD]. An average american makes about $45,000 per year. While in Asiatic and Eastern European countries it would be half of that. Another words they never would be able to afford it. Its not based on how much a person makes. But the strength of that countries currency. Also to prevent international sales of cheaper prices, its region locked.

Another words if you want to blame any price differences, don't blame the company. Only blame your own government for forcing them to price goods in such a manner.
    drz1 likes this.
  6. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

How is this related to me understanding the economy or not? I know everything you said in your first paragraph, so...?

And yes, again, I know that...?

Also, you realise that post is of half a year ago, right? I'm not blaming anyone. And no, that's just nonsense, a company decides to change prices depending on a region, and you can't blame a government for the worldwide economy.
  7. papakar1o

papakar1o New Member

For anyone who wonders, why this topic is up again:
    PA is now sells for ~40$ on Steam's Autumn Sale in Russia. I was pretty sure, that this price will be final after game release. But earlier post from neutrino indicates, that maybe I'll have an opportunity to buy this game after it's release for less, and I'm willing to wait for it. Although if something changed in Uber's policy I simply blowing away the chance to obtain some pre-order goodies including the ability to play right now. That's why I revived this topic, to know where is Uber stands right now about prices in Russia.

I know that I look like a crappy person coming here and asking "Hey, could I give you less money for your work despite the fact that I'm obviously interested in it?", but the only game I've paid ~40$ this year was BF4 (~30$ for CoD and AC4 for comparison), and I feel like I was massively screwed by it. So you could try to be in my shoes in it.
  8. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

I would go easy on the person comparing prices to unemployment checks Cola.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am questioning his logic that basically states that console are supposed to be more worth than pc games. That has nothing to do with prices.
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Oi? What about Middle Earth? Orcs play video games too
    drz1 likes this.
  11. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I know about New Zealand, I just didn't want to make this list too long.
  12. dartnecronuss

dartnecronuss New Member

My thoughts exactly, waiting for some clarification here.
  13. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I disagree. Every commercial product, ranging from bread to TVs to cars, are priced with the buying market in mind. I live in the UK, and £20 for a video game is quite ok. Even if I work with a minimum wage of 6.31/hour. It means I have to work 3.1 hours for it.

In Hungary where I grew up, the current minimum wage is €2.075/hour. Which means one has to work a bit over 11 hours to pay for a game that costs £20(€24)

(I used data and exchange rates from google)

So this means, that since incomes are wildly disproportionate between markets, the pricing of products need to be adjusted, in order to sell it. In the case of digital goods it's even easier, since you don't have to take manufacturing, transportation and similar costs in mind. The whole price is your margin, you can't sell it at a loss. The more that sells the better, so it's actually worth making affordable in regions where incomes are different.
    drz1 likes this.
  14. popededi

I think they just used it as a sort of comparison basis. I did some calculations to show off regional differences in post above. It's not Russia as I never been there, but with my own home country, which is similar anyway.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unfortunately it's cause re-importing and for game without DRM it's might cause more losses than profits. This why GOG don't have regional prices.
  16. popededi

True, but then again, on steam this isn't really possible without some trickery that's beyond the average user. If someone is not willing to pay for it, they will pirate it anyway I think, since that's probably simpler than setting up a proxy and making steam think you're in Russia. Not sure about Ubernet though, so you might be right there.