The Sun is too small...

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by FXelix, November 29, 2013.

1. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

First i KNOW this is BETA and the solar system is really under developed, but I only want to draw attention to this. The sun is really too small and they could make it maybe 3 times bigger. I know this wouldn't effect the play very much, but in my opinion this would be way more realistic and so on.
    And maybe they could add some more sun systems, like blue or red stars, and imagine you see a two sun solar system! Really epic! :eek::D
    camycamera, sokolek and wannabeapilot like this.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

A larger sun would just make navigating the solar system more annoying, it would be irritatingly overpowering the camera all the time, etc.
  3. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Agreed, the sun is fine as it is and shouldn't be made larger. Suns in another colour could be fun though.
    nawrot likes this.
  4. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Good thing you didn't see the alpha sun, it was smaller than large planets.
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Real solar scales are ABSURD. It is so absurd that we can only describe it with numbers, because a human mind is too small to comprehend the distances and sizes involved.

You don't want real solar scales in your game.
  6. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

I haven't say real size, god no! But when it's a bit bigger it would be more realistic and gives us a better playing ( and I know realism is not a high priority in PA development)
  7. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

It wouldn't give you "a better playing". A larger sun would require planets to orbit at a further distance. More distant planets take more time to travel to, are harder to find on the system layer and are harder to select.
    Mooninaut, uberpenu and Quitch like this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

You don't want real solar scales in your game.

In fact, what everyone said is true. You don't really want what you are asking for at all. For same reasons too.

They did a good job avoiding making the sun seem "too small" while minimizing the annoying effects of it (brightness, distance from it, distraction, shading, shadowing, trying to keep it the **** out of your vision)

However, your point gave me a good idea. Why wouldn't it be possible to modify the scale of the sun? You can already do that with the planets, make them tiny or giant. Why couldn't you make your sun small or giant?
    Last edited: November 29, 2013
    ulight, Pendaelose, raygun1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

What is this?.... A sun for ants?!
  10. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Uber's not shooting for realistic, their shooting for awsome.
  11. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Also bigger numbers means bigger math, longer calculation times and less precision. It's better to keep everything small.
  12. bobucles

WUT. Are you for real? A CPU calculates all its bits at the same time, regardless of how many you choose to not use. That's how an instruction cycle (the thing that gives you GHz) works.

A 64-bit integer is enough to measure every single point from the Sun to Pluto in MICROMETERS. A 64-bit float loses this level of precision before it leaves the sun's corona.
    stevenrs11 and godde like this.
  13. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Actually it still is. Try making a radius 3000+ planet in the system editor.
  14. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I can't, my computer isn't powerful enough.
  15. lapsedpacifist

Well it's bigger than the sun is my point. Might be 3500 or something, but with 40 player games you're gonna want planets that big and even if we don't want a realistic solar scale, having earth-type planets larger than stars is a bit TOO much of an immersion breaker if you ask me.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Having the glare of the sun take up 2 minutes straight of my ability to effectively play because half my screen is brighter than bajebus, is also an immersion breaker.

I wouldn't mind it being customizable. Otherwise we can just figure that it wont be too bad. I also figure the sun is probably what orbital travel depends on, and if it was always giant for even small planets, then I am sure I would hate to even use orbital.

What if it was customizable, and by default scaled with the "largest planet" you generate?
    Last edited: December 1, 2013
    Quitch likes this.
  17. lapsedpacifist

Yep, good points all. I'm not all that bothered either way, it's hardly a game changer. Could just have the sun scale to the largest planet in the system.
  18. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Maybe a good solution to the immersion issue is to have the sun scale with the size of the largest planet.

So it has to be at least 1.2 times its size. or something.
  19. bobucles

Maybe a good solution is to let the map designer CHOOSE their sun size, and let the community decide what maps are fun to play and which ones have gigantic suns blocking their way.
    Mooninaut, Pendaelose and corteks like this.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

If everything has to slingshot the sun then I'm not sure changing its size is a good idea.

While I like options, I also don't want to have hundreds of lobbies with incredibly shitty custom options.