Would uber sell the rights to MNC?

Discussion in 'Uber Entertainment Discussion' started by teapot, October 15, 2013.

1. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

sorry, despite popular competitive opinion, I don't like people standing on spawns in G3 arena.
  2. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

then go play farmville, casual.
  3. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

Custom rules? Oh you mean like the ones every single Tiki Tourny had? Or what about all those "skill plays?"
  4. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Almost every one of those rules addresses an obviously unintended feature.
  5. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

Solution: Fix those bugs.
  6. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

That would be nice, but unfortunately SMNC and MNC don't get updates.
  7. teju__

teju__ Active Member

Isn't that exactly what those 'honour rules' were about on xbox too? (Not quite sure)

Of course it would be better if there still were updates and there was no need for custom rules. but as long as the game isn't played on a level where there is actual money at stake, they are reasonable in my opinion.
  8. knickles

I said I'm not a fan of them, not that they're unnecessary or bad. Meaning: I prefer a game to be able to hold its own vanilla, but people do whatever they need to do.

As said, in the end, custom/honor rules don't make a difference when it comes to how "competitive" a game can be, neither does platform. You only need people willing to compete to make a game competitive. If you absolutely need an extra set of rules to make competition in the game more enjoyable, go for it. As long as you have enough people who agree, it's all good.

And really? Aside from enforcing highlander, you can't honestly say that these "rules" were on the same level as banning juice buying and select turret building.

9. jbeetle

Then I completely agree.
  10. teju__

teju__ Active Member

Same for me. The problem might have been that the term 'Honor Rules' somehow reeks of "Only fight 1v1" "Don't attack from behind" and "Qickscope only".
    Last edited: November 8, 2013
  11. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I'd say Product limitation is similar to turning off the juice machines in MNC. Because in MNC you can sneeze and have a full juice bar.
  12. knickles

All products and endos were allowed though
  13. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Honor rules were put into place to help balance the game by removing juice, and force players to utilize the juice properly now that you aren't able to purchase it. Organized team pushes are now more rewarded and nobody has an easy get out of jail free card (as frequently)

Besides the turrets, the others are designed to stop players from exploiting glitches that have gotten people to quit the game and the community in the past. If we have an honor system that prevents spawn killing, why is that a bad thing?

Sorry jbeetle but we stopped playing GIII in privates almost two years ago. Since that point there has almost been an overhaul on the meta game. So if that's you're last experience with competitive mnc that I truly feel you are missing out. A lot of us look back then and laugh at how ineffective everyone used to play and how much has changed since then.
    naka333 likes this.
  14. jbeetle

Sorry, I meant SMNC GIII. I was just talking about it in context with unofficial rules I find necessary or make the game more enjoyable for me.
  15. teapot

teapot Post Master General

Gotcha. Vanilla rules vs custom rules are always a battle. Many argue halo 4's death was a combination of many things. Shitty mechanics maps etc, but a large problem revolved around the game not being that enjoyable under vanilla settings.
    naka333 likes this.
  16. xshammas

xshammas Well-Known Member

The only reason we don't play G3 is because people are too dumb to learn it. And insta-strikes.
  17. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/intermediates-guide.html not meant to insult anyone. Just read it and tell me he's wrong.

We have had this discussion countless times in the SMNC forums. I like to believe the sirlin side won.

edit: also, teapot, in SMNC Uber had a testing group consisting mostly of very competitive players. They ignored every single suggestion they made because they weren't interested in making a comp game.

e2: woops wrong article, here's the one I meant to link http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/how-far-should-you-go-to-win.html I'd recommend you read the article after that too
    Last edited: November 21, 2013
  18. xshammas

xshammas Well-Known Member

But changing settings is way different than saying "You can't shoot gunners" or something silly. You can still do everything within the game in our private matches, and even in games like Gears and Halo there were glitches that warranted "honor rules" which don't exist in MNC. I think that term is being misinterpreted a little in this thread.
  19. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Oh wait you can actually change the settings and make something completely impossible? That's cool. Everything outside of that should either be fixed or players should learn to deal with it. "Honor rules" on spawn camping implies to me that that is not the case.

e: for some background, I'm a quake player, I don't see exploits as problems but as opportunities to enrich the game. More options = more strategy and more viable styles = better game.
    Last edited: November 27, 2013
  20. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

That isn't always the case. Take Assault's cheese spots for example - on Loco Moco, he can cheese both rockets safely from the jungle.