Livestream TODAY! 11AM! Drop Your Questions Here!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, November 26, 2013.

1. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

When does it start?
    hahapants likes this.
  2. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Anything hardware-wise for those of us looking to host private servers (e.g., CPU /w HT)

Will this game ever be able to take advantage of Hyper Threaded CPU's?

Do you guys plan to let us overachievers with our supercomputers do some of the processing ourselves so we experience less network lag?
    lokiCML likes this.
  3. kronosynth

kronosynth New Member

I suspect this will be a "no".

Even ignoring the technical hurdles of building a hybrid system that can slide between purely sending processed unit location data to a system that sends 'raw' data to be processed by players (either units + orders or player orders), they'd lose all the advantages of a client-server infrastructure.

1) You can't maphack a client-server game.
    2) You can reconnect to a client-server game.
    3) You don't get desynch crashes in a client-server game. Nor are you slowed down to the speed of the slowest player, but in this hypothetical scenario you only get raw data if your computer is amazing, so that's neither here nor there.

It's stuff like that which pushed Dota to switch to a client server model when it became Dota 2.

It's also worth noting that graphical processing is all client side; it's not like Uber's servers are rendering video and streaming it to us, this isn't OnLive.
  4. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

What are you looking forwards to seeing the most in the modding community, and have any mods (past or present) influenced any design decisions.
    lokiCML likes this.
  5. evilOlive

evilOlive Member

Does it totally annoy you/piss you off when a bunch of beta participants insist upon droning on and on with prognostications about your release date, the state of your readiness, and criticizing the great deal of work you have done to this point (which, by the way, looks great)?

Do the emotional pleas to assuage the misplaced fears of an impatient, petulant, unrealistically critical public kinda make you wanna just spend the entire livestream giving said whiners the middle finger?

It would me.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

Will we be seeing submersible submarines & torpedoes in the near future?

Will any mobile units have radar or radar-jamming abilities?

What kind of units will the unit cannon be able to fire? (bots only? combat units only?)

Could you tell us about the interface you're working on which would allow us to alter the orbits of moons/asteroids?
    Last edited: November 27, 2013
  7. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Are you still using just TCP/IP or also UDP for the networking? What ping to the server is required for smooth play?

Nerdy questions I know
    lokiCML likes this.
  8. abuk007

abuk007 New Member

Will we be able to destroy planet as whole not only nuke it with smaller celestial body leaving a crater?
    and... What does the dox say?
  9. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

10. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

I bet as soon as they know what time it'll start we'll know shortly after. ;)
  11. jaykat77

jaykat77 New Member

My questions:

How do you deal emotionally with the constant pressure, complaints and demands of the backers?

Is the stress easier to deal with than with a publisher or do you find that you want to throw up your hand more in frustration and walk away?
    Culverin likes this.
  12. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

As Uber always states that all date is "subject to change";)
  13. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Will this live stream be on twitch?
  14. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

no time has been stated yet... not even on their facebook... just wait
  15. doud

doud Well-Known Member

hopefully it will be before 11h00PM CET :p Othewise I'll be sleeping :(
  16. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Usually they have it around 1pm seattle time. (PST i think)
    which would be in about 1hour 15mins..
    I have just worked 3 shifts, luckily most of my work is sitting in front of a PC, but i can't wait to drop off the radar for a while and get in a little snooze before the kids are up (its almost 5am in Australia)
    But i really want to see the stream...

... edited
  17. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Some many time zones here :D in Germany it is 19:20 now ( I think 7:20 pm in the other writing ) ;)
  18. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

1 pm Seattle time is equivalent to 11pm Lebanon, i may not be able to watch it live
  19. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

1 PM Seattle is in 2 hours and 40 min.
  20. doud

doud Well-Known Member

This remind me when Supcom came out. I had ordered all existing editions : Standard, collector, UEF edition, Cybran Edition, Aeon Edition, and finally the Ultimate Metal box edition which came with 3 giant poster (one for each faction). It was only available in Australia and it took me 3 weeks to get it :)...living in Paris.
    maxpowerz likes this.