[Discontinued] KNight's Unit Design Thread

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by KNight, August 20, 2012.

1. comham

comham Active Member

I love the profile of "hump behind/approximately samel level as the turret"
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yeah I've always like turrets placed closer to the front of the hull, and this type of barrel arrangement always makes for great style! xD

Mike
  3. leuhpoulpe

leuhpoulpe New Member

I just saw your topic, you have some great concept and the unit design is really nice, congrats. A good proportion (if not all of them) could be in the game without any change.
  4. KNight

Far from it in Reality, I did many of them before I had a chance to really study Uber's Aesthetics and some I did even before we had any examples, like the Gunships and Naval units I did.

Slowly going through and doing new designs or revamping older ones to better fit, slowly getting there.

Mike
  5. leuhpoulpe

leuhpoulpe New Member

Well, if we forget the fact that some of your units could be a bit less detailled to perfectly fit in the PA style (and performance plan), none of your models is really out of the PA design. I'm pretty sure that close to nobody would notice the difference in most cases.
    Keep in mind that the maximum zoom is still pretty far away from the ground so it's more about the overall shape of the unit, and for that, your units seems really good to me. For example the longbow is quite in the spirit. The renegade have too much details but the overall design that we can see in the first post seem perfectly fine to me.

Anyway, i really like your concepts, it would be really cool if Uber could at least take some inspiration in your work for the new units, i already can see myself using them.
    Last edited: November 3, 2013
  6. KNight

The camera can actually get a lot closer than you think;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I'll be the last person you should expect to compromise on a unit's design.

Fact is that out of everything in the first post, only 6 designs are "PA Compliant", both in terms of the raw visuals and the construction of the mesh itself.

Mike
  7. KNight

So Ledarsi's thread about the potential for the ammo system got me thinking about the kind Power Generators you see in Mecha Animes all the time so I figured I might as well try throwing something together;

[​IMG]

Fun fact, I really like this type or large truck/hauler shaping, I've used it before on occaision;
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Fun times.

Mike
  8. KNight

I've been wanting to revamp the Strider for awhile now and while I still have some things to figure out for the top half, I'm liking what I've done with the legs so far;

[​IMG]

Still need to settle on some kind of roll for this guy though more and more I'm just thinking of making it a Recon Bot....

Mike
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

how bout making it middlerange AS-missilelauncher with decent radar and weoponrange and but low firerate
    launching two missiles per salvo in a low arc with rather low VFoV ... sort of a light support role for tactical possitioning?

the model has to much of a stalker/catapult design to it to be "just" a raven-ish reconunit
    so i suggest a little mix of both

there is also an idea that stuck in my head for a longtime
    what do you think about a C&C titan/UEF percival or MW hunchback/highlandertype
    long range armored sniperbot?
    well armored but very slow, long weaponrange, no radar, low to medium visual range
    Last edited: November 27, 2013
  10. KNight

Well the original idea was for more of a high mobility missile launcher type unit, thus the large missile pods on the original model, but if I swap those out for something else it'd look just as good really, plus in the end it'll really depend on PA's unit list whether I have to go back and revisit a bunch of my units to make sure they aren't contributing to overlap and such.

Mike
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Just reading back through all these. I had a 'twitch' moment when I noticed the spelling of your battleship unit.

Assuming you're referring to the German battleship of the same name, it should probably have a 'c' in it ;)
  12. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

You have really nice Unit ideas/ textures ! :)
  13. MrTBSC

yeah true that ...
  14. KNight

The Textures are the work of Nanolathe, as we get closer to release we'll have to gear up on that regard to make sure we match Uber's style for units.

Yeah well that's just the way of things, I don't mind going back and updating, I've already done it for like 6+ units once already! xD

Mike
  15. MrTBSC

i don´t get what this vehicle is supposed to do
    is that supposed to be a sort of of mobile Pgen or a emp-AoE-shockwavelauncher ala matrixhovercraftemp?
    i am confused ...
  16. KNight

17. MrTBSC

not all ...
    so i guess it´s a sort of energy - ammunitionsupplier ??
  18. KNight

More or less. Basically because there would be weapons that use the energy ammo system this unit would be able to deploy among them and boost thier ammo production rate somehow.

Mike
  19. MrTBSC

sort of AoE energylathing i suppose
    something i could see fabers doing as well honestly though just a single unit at a time ...
    for instance in SupCom they boosted shieldregen ...
    they could boost ammoregen here as they use quite an ammount of energy already
    imagine a commander boosting his own artileryguard ...
  20. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Just dropped into this thread for the first time in ages and ended up spending 20 minutes looking through. Fantastic work knight, love the predatory look of the strider (looks too dangerous to be an unarmed scout in my opinion) and the efficiency of your tank designs.
    Also, the rapier really does look a fair bit like the current quadrupedal commander :)