Supreme commander Killer or simple jack Tropical thunder here

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by narmohio, November 22, 2013.

1. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

My main problem with T1 tanks aganist T2 defences is that the tanks are so slow, lots of pelters are hard to beat but holkins and catapults can be destroyed easy by T1 units. If there was 50-100% increase in tank speed I think that would solve the issue, on scale 3+ planets the tanks move like snails and I don't see any point in building them unless you are directly next to the enemy base.

A strategy I use on big planets is to build forward factories covered by a holkins to counter enemy holkins and with their own fighter screen. Still though the tanks are slow and I would prob win faster by just mass building holkins and catapults instead, though that wouldnt be as cool.
  2. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Well 50-100% would definitely be way over the top (I think you underestimate these numbers here - even 20% would be huge), but I agree tanks could be a little faster.
    But most of all things: Give them more HP and decrease defensive turret power (or make them inaccurate in case of the pelter).
  3. ulight

ulight Member

I see experimentals & shields being OP as a moot point due to the fact that you can toss an asteroid at a planet and wipe it clean. On the topic of shields, to me it doesn't matter if they are in the game or not as long as the game allows for turtling as a viable strategy to buy yourself some time. Experimentals could fit the role of tactical investments that should be highly specialized in countering a specific strategy.
  4. frobb

frobb New Member

Ok, let's see what new units are included in the final release. Radar jammer might help.
    Mixing high tier units with t1 is generally a good idea, but the current "T2" is slow and is murdered by artillery before they even fire the first shot. Currently it is much more effektive to simply snipe or drop the bomb. This already renders T1 useless, doesn't it?
  5. narmohio

narmohio New Member

people still play supreme commander i actually play it more the server called forged alliance forever only because their are far more choices in the game to make at this point... supreme commander experimentals is about creating something never created before you don't know what it will do you just know it has a gun and a mission its a experiment thats what makes it cool and i think the commander dominates most units anyway as air dominates land and so forth so ........

All is fair in love in war......Countries don't say no cheating your we shouldn't dominate with a big robot do they lol they want to really bad its about rushing to the finish line thats what makes it fun whoever gets their first wis like racing games, lol cough thanksgiving off course the massacre of all the indians the biggest festival ever is why most indians don't engage so getting their first isn't always good either but you get the point you never know if u get married if you still got her you might lose her anytime thats what getting a experimental is like!! to me anyway a rush where is my motorcycle i want to ride oh its snowing i have a guuud bra brain! I Simple Jack!
  6. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

will not even try to argue, because Im suspect ,the best strategy game that exists at the moment. FA(F)

1-SCFA or Foreged Aliance Forever FA (F) best rts ever made so far.
    Plz dont talk off what you not now.

Try downloading some replays off that game and come again with good arguments.

Try watch this and coment

Or iff you not now how to coment give me other game that make something like this

Attached Files:

Last edited: November 26, 2013
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

In your opinion maybe.

Most people would differ, and success wise its not even close. Its really just a fan patch with an attacked networking tool for playing multiplayer.

Or when compared to the steam versions, its just a fan patch.

Personally I feel like Rise of Nations is far superior, followed closely by Empire Earth and AOE.
  8. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Its the opinion off +3000 players and +700 active FA(F) players

But yes there are other good rts games ,but none give you the tactic options and massive battles in all possible ways FA(F) give.
    Sry its just a fact,and its really a complex game that you have to spend your mind there.

Its sad im probably the only with moore 3 or 4 FA(F) active players here, but i belive this game can also bring some good fun.
  9. igncom1

That is a load of bull and you know it.

Empire Earth and Rise of Nations both give massive battles when played on the largest scale, or did you forget that most FAF games are played on 20x20 maps or smaller?

And to say that this is the opinion of 700 active players like that is some kind of large number is funny when compared to the actually popular RTS game StarCraft.
  10. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

Its ower opinion,and the amount off players not means its a good game..

Look at WoW that i dont now how they like that game ,got milions off players .

But its good players like diferent games,or that games wont sell..

You talk this ...[​IMG]
  11. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

They are currently 14.017 active players. 700 is the peak time. Honest mistake :)

Also, I feel offended that you compare Steam FA lobby to FAF. Last time I've checked, there wasn't even a matchmaker on steam.

It's sure is a fan made patch, but it's still fixing more than 150 bugs (and about 7 severe games breaking exploits) over the Steam version -not talking of all the FX enhancements that make it looks better than PA currently-.

For the map size you are right, only 7% of the games are played on 40x40 or more.
    27% are played on 20x20.

20x20 is still an honorable size, and not a shame compared to current planet sizes on the beta.
    Last edited: November 26, 2013
    cmdandy, tatsujb and kalherine like this.
  12. igncom1

And I apologise for the offence.
  13. thepilot

It's really hard to make people understand that the FA balance has greatly evolved since FAF.

- Shields are not all-mighty (ie. you can't stack them anymore and they have been rebalanced for their price)
    - The tech race is greatly reduced.
    - Tiers & XP are way more balanced (and each tier has a role),
    - Engy spam is not mandatory anymore.
    - Faction diversity has increased, tons of units have now a real role (ie. SCUs has been heavily reworked, but not only), ....

That's probably why saying that PA should be more like FAF is not that crazy.
    Ie. the t2 mexes ideas that were laid around a while a ago replicated the mex behavior of FA that is way more sane than PA ones.
    And the Tier 2 in FAF is really more tools than "better units".
  14. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I utterly respect the effort put into FAF, but to be honest, me and my friends stopped playing FAF when the balance changes started being made instead of just bugfixes. We play casually rather than competitively, and the changes made just utterly broke it (ie., Cybran having no long range weapon any more with the complete change to the Scathis, SCUs becoming spammable with the Seraphim one being screwed over due to reduced resource production yet no RAS, among others).

I still consider TA > Supreme Commander though. I enjoy unit battles that are actually battles and not just skirmishes. TA had front-lines that could be re-inforced, and totally drove home the "epic struggle for survival" aspect, and you could totally believe that the entire galaxy had battles raging for ever. The "Inifite war" by comparison seems far fetched due to how brittle players became at the end game due to high-powered experimentals. I can't believe the war wasn't over after a few years, let alone a few thousand.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. thepilot

For the Scathis, many people cried over it, but when I asked for replays where it was actually built, no one gave one.
    And that was the reason for the change : The unit was inexistent before.

The SCUs are constantly tweaked, and I don't think they are "spammable" :)

About the XP, Tier 3 is actually more effective than XPs. And probably tier 2 with some micro.
  16. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

People not providing replays doesn't mean they weren't built. We built them all the time.

Not in competitive play, but it wasn't uncommon for us to build dozens of them.
  17. thepilot

Well you can spam the most ridiculous unit in any RTS game in a very casual environment.
    That doesn't mean that the unit is good or too numerous in a normal game.

The most important thing is that the game is fun for most of the people. Of course, they are always people who feel left over when something is done, but if they are listened to, nothing will be ever done (and that is valid for any game really).
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you can't talk about balance and scathis in the same sentence I mean common, unlimited range for 3000 damage every 1.9 seconds??? that thing was clearly OP!
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

wow, really wanted to know these stats. what about total signed up?
  20. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

The majority of a game's audience is casual. Most of the modders, contributors, testers and of course the core audience itself is casual. To balance a game around the "pros" should be the exception rather than the rule. StarCraft only gets away with this because their balance team is frankly superhuman and their audience is dedicated enough to deal with it. SupCom, on the other hand, doesn't have a whole ton of loyal players. Yeah, we have the audible minority, but I stopped playing FAF after I finished the Nomads mod. I just had no reason to be there anymore.