Just Some Ideas

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by keterei, November 24, 2013.

1. keterei

keterei Active Member

Hi! I'm new, and have recently started playing. I'm loving the game so far.

I want to give some ideas here which I think would make the game even better.

I've had mostly construction and economy features in mind.

So far, these are the things I've been wanting to see in-game.

• A numeric count-down/timer indicating the time it will take each different type of fabricator to build each building or unit, whether individually or combined, in seconds or minutes while in-game.
    • Same for factories.
    • The amount of energy and metal an individual or multiple fabricators will use to build or assist. (I noticed that this exists if you hover your mouse over a building fabricator, but it only applies to one, and is difficult to see.)
    • Walls which can be dragged in a line in one move set, much like in command and conquer. They will cost more resources the longer they are.
    Those are the main ideas I've thought of so far.
    For your consideration.

Thanks!
    Last edited: December 1, 2013
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. zuricatex

zuricatex New Member

Yea, why need Walls which can be dragged in a line in one move set, much like in command and conquer. We really need drag+drop multiple building options for the UI.
  3. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

This is coming.
  4. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

Yeah, we're definitely doing that with walls. Not totally sure what the status is, as things get prioritized and de-prioritized.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I see you're new to the forums, and welcome!

You should do a search before posting. What you're suggesting has already been brought up before.

As has been stated, walls will be draggable. They're working on it.

If you want to know the stats of fabricators and how much economy they use, check out the PA Matches Wiki on fabricators.
  6. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Wait - with walls only? I think everyone agrees that we need this for all buildings.
  7. zuricatex

zuricatex New Member

Sorry for not searching more, I search for "walls" and this post was the first result.
    I think the development to create a long wall with two clicks is essential, but it would also be desirable to do something similar with the buildings, to define a construction unit (or group of units) a work queue.
  8. keterei

keterei Active Member

Thank you for the warm welcome!
    I had considered that there were already suggestions similar to mine, as the internet knows your ideas before you do. I searched for fabricator information and did read about their statistics before this post. What I'm talking about however, is how those statistics can be more ergonomically implemented and made obvious to the average player while they are in-game and building.

Thank you for the response! That is very exciting to hear.
    Gunman006 likes this.
  9. keterei

keterei Active Member

10. keterei

keterei Active Member

For now, I think walls should have priority with this because without the dragging mechanic, they are incomplete as a building. It would link them together and make them into one building. With other structures I don't think that a line-drag feature is necessary as you can que buildings into a build order by holding shift and placing them. Besides, remember that you're on a planet! Spread out! :p
  11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Power generation?

Mexes?

Lack of a building grid meaning that you can always merge two buildings into the same location, which totally stuffs up your build queue?

Walls aren't incomplete as a building. They are tank barriers in current state, so you can use them to add health, and can also just randomly throw them in places to break up death balls
  12. keterei

keterei Active Member

I'm sorry, I don't understand your context here. In regards to a 'building grid,' I think it is important that buildings cannot be merged or stacked on top of each other, and that is how the building placement works right now.. but walls are an exception in this sense if they are to have a drag feature. I'm against every building having this feature; I wouldn't want multiple mexes on one node either, If that is what you're talking about.

They're not complete just because they're in the game. This drag feature we are mentioning is a critical feature for walls that has yet to be implemented. We should still be able to place them as single pillars though, of course.

Uber talked about what they're planning for building mechanics. They talked about things like queing mex placement within a radius in just one click, wall line-dragging, and other build mechanics. They explain it all best; I would go watch there if you're curious about these features. It's in the general PA section if you haven't already watched it.
    Last edited: December 1, 2013
  13. starshipenterprise

starshipenterprise New Member

I have a few suggestions, mostly regarding asteroids.

Like in Armageddon where they drill into an asteroid with the purpose of breaking it apart, so that the asteroid does not hit earth ... can we not have a k-bot with the purpose of achieving the same function? The k-bot probably shouldn't be able to break asteroids apart by itself (though there is no law that says asteroids are dense clumps of rock- they could, for example, be made of ice or consist of mostly ice and have a flimsy internal structure holding it together. What it should mean is that the outcome is not always predictable with asteroids, that some structural damage can occur which ensures that if halley's are operated on that (armageddoned) asteroid, that the fissures in the asteroid just lead to it disintegrating or breaking into pieces. Not all asteroids should be suitable for navigation with halley's, the power those forces apply should have a big impact on the inertia of the asteroid and lead to them splintering or disintegrating if they fly too close to the sun etc. What it would mean is that asteroids should become a hazard to the faction that tries to control them as much as it is to the faction that one aims to destroy.

I also think asteroid impacts shouldn't necessarily lead to a planet's crust being broken and blown away as is often shown in the trailers (unless the asteroid is massive). It would be good to see other consequences of an asteroid impact (like a nuclear winter) for the whole planet or a tsunami. I also think they should introduce more natural hazards in the way of either inhabiting species attacking units and structures on planets and random meteorites naturally striking asteroids or planets and knocking them out of orbit or onto a collision course with a planet etc.

Just some thoughts.
    keterei likes this.
  14. keterei

keterei Active Member

These are good suggestions but you should introduce yourself and share your thoughts in a separate thread in the PA general discussion thread. It will get more attention there. This is only a subthread under that forum :p
  15. starshipenterprise

starshipenterprise New Member

Thankyou. I will do that.

As an introduction. I only found out about this game last week but was an avid player of total annihilation and supreme commander (though not supreme commander 2, I didn't like that as much). It looks exciting though and I think the huge scale and different possibilities for celestial bodies on this game is really interesting.
  16. stormingkiwi

m
    I have indeed watched it already young grasshopper.

You can already create a "wall" by shift clicking. The wall doesn't have to be visually joined together to be a wall. It it already completed. Drawing a wall is only for convenience and accessibility.

However, to say that other structures wouldn't benefit from the same mechanic isn't true. You very rarely build mexes by themselves if there are 3 right next door.

Likewise, most players seem to spam power generators out in a long line or in a regular shape

And if you shift+click fast enough, you can cause two buildings to overlap on one another such that the queue can never be completed.

Basically your post can be countered by saying "no, they don't need priority, a wall can be built in a line by shift+clicking". It's part of the user interface for base building, when it's implemented it's going to be all or nothing most likely
  17. keterei

keterei Active Member

I don't understand where you get off to call me 'young' but whatever. Walls are in fact incomplete without what I've mentioned. In terms of game play, with the amount of keys dedicated to macro and other features which make the game playable, having to individually place tiny pillars to create something so simple as a complete wall, distracts from game play. With your mentality, other features in the game should not be improved or created, simply because "The game is already good enough as it is." That, is not good enough. I'm not arguing that other buildings would not benefit from the same feature, I'm saying that incomplete things should be completed first. I'm fully aware that you can already shift-que walls, and I think that method is too tedious. We obviously disagree, so I'll leave it at that.
  18. stormingkiwi

No worries dude, I'm being friendly. I don't think you're a grasshopper either :p. I'm sorry I caused offence.

Sorry that wasn't the mentality at all - err.. Essentially once click+drag building is in, there is no reason why it can't immediately be applied to both walls and powergens. That's how I'm misunderstanding you - once its in then it can be used for both walls and the other buildings that would benefit it.

Because shift queueing powergens is similarly tedious.
  19. keterei

keterei Active Member

Yes I agree with you there, if a feature helps one area of the game that it could help another then it should be applied to that too. No hard feelings man.
    stormingkiwi likes this.