Scroll without mousewheel

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ctownsend85, November 23, 2013.

1. ctownsend85

ctownsend85 New Member

Hi,

I don't own a mouse with a scroll wheel (marble mouse trackball) mainly because I find it easier to use and more comfortable for my wrist.

Currently the only way I can zoom in and out is by moving the cursor the correct position then move my hands to the keyboard and click CTRL+(Up/Down), then move the cursor again, CTRL+(Up/Down) again .. etc etc which is really quite frustrating.

Can't this just be mapped to the -/+ button or something else?

Additionally I would like to see the return of the ability to scroll around the planet by holding the right mouse button down. This is in so many RTS games and its just instinctive to me.

Hope someone agrees.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

3. jamiem

jamiem Active Member

Totally agree. I prefer to use a Wacom tablet instead of a mouse, and without a way to map the zoom, it's useless. Plus my mouse has ratcheted zoom, so there's no smooth way to zoom in out, making it very jumpy.
    I'd prefer the way 3d DDC programs map the camera, using a held-down key to switch to zoom mode (e.g. Maya)
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you need hooks in the game so that you can simulate input. that's still not in. hence leap motion mod stalled.
  5. rsully

rsully New Member

I use a Mac trackpad and I notice even with the speed all the way down scrolling is just too jerky. Very hard to be accurate.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  6. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Use a standard mouse if possible.
    even Mac trackpads have inertial scrolling built into the trackpad hardware.
    It makes for smooth scrolling in the OS but makes gaming almost impossible.
  7. maxpowerz

You can remap buttons to your stylus.
    I have remapped my side button to middle mouse and i have the eraser set to right click. :)
    not sure if your wacom will let you set those changes, each has certain limitations depending on model.
    I use the Airbrushing stylus too sometimes it has a scroll wheel.
    As fun as it is, its still not very effective for gaming tho. lol
  8. rsully

rsully New Member

My only other mouse is, sadly, a Magic mouse (Mac) which also has inertial scrolling. I'm not a big gamer, so I'd hate to have to buy another mouse just for these cases. Maybe they can negate the effects of it in-game or something? I don't know that inertial scrolling itself would be so bad, it would make zooms nice and smooth, but its just too fast/jerky.
  9. maxpowerz

agreed i have a microsoft sculpt touch mouse and it has intertial scrolling too.
    i know you dont wanna buy any extra stuff but i do recommend a standard cheap $5-10 usb mouse as an option for PA it will make all the world of difference for $5-10 dollars.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

maxpowerz likes this.