Beta v.57449 Feedback (1st Impressions)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by bricepollock, November 23, 2013.

1. bricepollock

bricepollock New Member

Main Menu
    • Strange to have to additionally join a game after selecting a "You vs. AI" setting. Didn't I already say I wanted me vs. UI when clicking this option?
    • No progress bar or working UI feedback when "Game will start when server has finished..." is displayed. I have no idea how long it will take: 5 seconds, 20 seconds, a minute, minutes?
    Starting a Game
    • When saving settings prior to choosing a starting location the game hung for several seconds while I stared at a black screen
    • At some point my commander spawns but there is no count down indicating when my time to select a spawning position is up
    Mechanics
    • I would love top level button or easy hot key to quick-jump to commander. I can easily get lost with the scale
    • Hot key to jump to conflict might also be helpful
    • I would like to be able to click+drag when creating buildings. Its a pain to create individual energy generators or wall buildings.
    • Along with click+drag a creation queue would be helpful so I could go do more important things while my units build things.
    • I would also like to be able to assign constructors to assist other constructors in generation of this queue'd up list
    • Often I am wondering how much area I have under my radar. I would like a button to toggle on showing all extent of radars. Maybe a select all radars button/hotkey?
    • Clicking on commander and clicking on building being generated doesn't start it assisting with construction, it just selects the building even though repair crosshairs are up.
    • Some hot-keys to select all units on screen or all units of particular type would be a huge help in quick response to an unexpected attack
    • I have no idea what range each unit has. Would help to always show these ranges when highlighted or toggle on/off this option
    • Patrol doesn't work. It appears I am supposed to select a position for patrol, but the unit just moves there. It would be cool to have multiple options for patrol: select a position to patrol, set waypoints or do click+hold to generate patrol path.

Mouse/Keyboard Mechanics
    • Default scroll settings for '12 MacBook Pro with Mavericks is unusable. Either your all the way into the planet or in space. Moving from 5 to 4 worked pretty well.
    • Unable to pan using any key+mouse combination. Only able to do so with arrows
    • A number of times (like when battle starts) I maintain control of my currents view interacting with it via mouse, but I cannot pan or zoom.

Graphics
    • Its hard to see units as they are so small and easy to lose among trees and other objects. Especially in what feels to be the default tactical zoom LoD (halfway between all the way zoomed in and planet view). It would help if we had icons on all the time for the units so I don't lose them.
    Enhancements
    • Haven't played a whole lot yet, but is it in the works to let players start on different planets? It would be cool to shoot across the solar system at each other. Maybe its too easy to just build up enough resources to destroy each other with astroids?
    • Any shields planned? or is the point to build quickly and expand rapidly rather than to dig in.
    • Place satellites in orbit? I understand adding spaceships is probably too complex a mechanic at some stage, but placing missile batteries in orbit would be cool. Especially because the threat is intermittent.
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

One menu sets up the game, the other menu loads the game.

Some things are in game, check tutorial or sticky post in this forum. C button selects commander, f selects idle fabbers, double click selects all units of clicked type, holding ctrl on a unit shows range, etc etc...

Other bugs and features, a lot are known to the devs and are a matter of time. It is helpful though to keep this stuff in discussion though.
  3. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Its Hard to See very small Units, but if you change the UI Settings you Could See the Units everytime, its very helpful :)
  4. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

To patrol an area you need to select the partol icon,
    Then hold shift and make 2 waypoints or more.
    The units will go from waypoint to waypoint
  5. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

When playing on a Mac i recommend using a standard mouse,
    Not an apple branded one, the apple branded mice have "Inertial Scrolling" like my microsoft scuplt touch mouse and its a fail, a standard scroll wheel works best for zoom.
    All in all i recommend a "Gaming Mouse" because that's what they're for .. gaming. lol
    I mean have you ever tried switching weapons with inertial scrolling mice in a first person shooter.. Its shameful, if you ever manage to land on the weapon you want its a fluke.

This only really seems to be an issue after upgrading to the newest Mac OS, in the older versions the inertial scrolling wasn't as bad or even on at all. and i have no idea where to turn it off in mavericks i don't think you can, its embedded in the mouse hardware.
    Only option i found was use a standard mouse.
    Last edited: November 23, 2013
  6. arbitraryranger

arbitraryranger Member

the hot-key to select your commander is "c"
  7. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Press C to select commander, then T to centre the camera on him. T stands for Track, and can be used with any selected unit to jump to or follow their progress.
    Hold down shift when you are giving orders and you can string together as many as you like.
    Select the constructor you want to assign, then right-click on the primary builder. This assigns the guard/assist command and will last indefinitely until you give it a new order.
    You need to right-click to activate the context command. The alternate way to do it would be to left-click the commander, left-click the order from the menu, then left-click the building to assist.
    Ctrl-Z will select all visible units of the currently-selected type.
    Patrol works differently to TA and SupCom. Instead of it assuming that you want to patrol from your starting position to the first patrol point, it takes the first patrol point that you click as the start of the patrol. So you need to hold down shift and click at least two points to patrol between.

Try pressing space. Space activates the fixed-camera mode, and if you've pressed it by accident when you're zoomed out, what you have described is what happens.

No shields. The idea is to spread out absolutely everywhere. It is impossible to defend everywhere, but then it's impossible to attack everywhere too,. :D
    Not sure I understand you here. The Orbital Launcher building (built by advanced fabbers) makes a number of orbital units, including full-planet radar and orbital lasers. I assume there are more still to be added but I couldn't say for definite.
    beijau and drz1 like this.
  8. bricepollock

bricepollock New Member

Thanks, I'll try those out. Orbital Launcher sounds cool. I still have yet to get patrol working. I haven't tried getting units to go into a patrol from a factory, but that is a feature I would want for air units.

Also, whenever I click on unit B with patrol for unit A. Unit A just moves to unit B instead of patrolling it. This would be a nice feature for patrolling fighters around ground units when you send them into attack. Currently masses of air units can own anything unless attacking base because of the availability of targets.
  9. moldez

moldez Active Member

"No progress bar or working UI feedback when "Game will start when server has finished..." is displayed. I have no idea how long it will take: 5 seconds, 20 seconds, a minute, minutes?"

.. in the top right corner next to the planet u choose to start on there is a small dot which changes it´s colour from red over yellow to green :mad::(:D.. thats the loadingprogress .. I think

moldez
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I like the idea you introduce. That's exactly how I wish patrol worked, because I kind of want air units to patrol my whole air space randomly rather than being a circular shield.

I suggest you google planetary annihilation controls. On the gamepedia wiki is a full list of controls. From which you can find away to not only select every land unit you have, but to restrict that to only on screen. Sadly there isn't a similar hotkey for non-idle fabbers, but there are some for naval and air.

From memory they are control+f6 on windows.

Oh bother. You're on Mac. Check your keyboard settings in the settings menu. You may be SOL because you're on mac, bot Windows. In which case I suggest you mention it in the modding subforum. But check first ;)