Transport Difficulties: More Detail?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by LeadfootSlim, November 9, 2013.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The transport in SupCom2 always made more sense to me then the FA ones.

Why deliberately design a transport that can have its cargo killed.
  2. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Because ghetto gunships, and surely Chris Taylor's crazy imagination knowing no bounds. SupCom2 was to my mind a much more budget conscious project.
  3. igncom1

Very true.
  4. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

From what I remember, it was the code of all that interaction, not so much the animation for it.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yes, because transports that magikally drop all the units instantly, allow them to fire, and reload and moving to a new location was great!</sarcasm>

For me it was never the aesthetics of the SupCom1/FA transports that I liked, it was the Mechanics that I liked, it wasn't like Starcraftian transports where you could just easily fly them through a base dropping units from them.

Mike
  6. igncom1

True enough, the landing stuff I got, but shooting off the cargo to me just suggested a bad design for the transport.

The instant nature of it was cheesy.

But I will still hold up that they made transports easier then the FA ones, even....if they screwed the rest of them up.......Grah!

But then, what makes a good transport? The starcraft ones are better by design, they are faster and more responsive, but the FA ones felt better.

So would a mix be better?
  7. KNight

Well the original intent as seen in the UEF transports was that they were collapsible so that they would actually....FIT in the factory, especially given that in SupCom the build area in the Factories didn't really get bigger as they were upgraded.

Mike
  8. igncom1

That is true.

I still don't really like it.
  9. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Ok let's put it this way, we aren't getting supcom1 transports because they're much too expensive for Uber to dedicate dev time to. So I would personally prefer the cheaper version that still allows for multi unit transports. Theres no reason a transport with Starcraft aesthetics can't have the mechanics of supcom1 as long as you're willing to forego ghetto gunships. It's simply a matter of adding a delay.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  10. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Transports aren't singular units. When a transport's cargo soaks up gunfire, it increases the overall durability of the drop. A higher drop durability dramatically increases the success rate of an ENTIRE attack.
  11. igncom1

Any weapon that can hit and kill a heavy battle-tank can kill the transport straight up.

Its silly and I don't like the mechanic.
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Two hits is still more than one. And if you don't like paper thin armor, the problem is with paper thin armor, not the transport.
  13. KNight

All the more reason to not bother trying to armor up your transports in my opinion.

Mike
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  14. igncom1

Fair enough.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yes. As far as I recall from what the devs said, it's the code to "attach" a unit to another moving unit. They have explicitly said that "magical box transports" are much easier to implement

The problem is that they want to do Supcom style transports. Which do look awesome.
  16. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Still disappointed that GPG never implemented the double-decker transports they used in their opening cutscene.