Future queuing/ reorganizing orders/ move Build ETAs

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, October 21, 2013.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

ok, explain what you understood
    Last edited: October 30, 2013
  2. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

What you're basically asking for is say, you send Unit A to attack a wreck covering a MEX. You want to be able to send Engineer B to build a MEX on the soon-to-be-destroyed MEX spot, with the understanding that it will be gone when he gets there, and free to build upon.

Another example: There's a rock blocking passage to something. You send Engineer B to go past the rock but he cannot. So you send Unit A to destroy the rock, and before the rock is destroyed you give Engineer B a move command behind the rock, and he moves there with the understanding that the rock will be destroyed by the time he moves.
  3. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

if that's his point, wouldn't auto reclaim to instructions be simpler???? He talks of macro rts but I only see more micro from op ideas ...
  4. tatsujb

yes.

those are some examples in an inexhaustible list.
    added to this I also want the capacity to fully reoganise orders either laid out on the ground for construction, or in the factories queue.

not finished:

I want to be able to select engineer not yet produced and give him oders, select the factory I tell him to build... ect... so on so forth.

well if you read the above, or the more-above... or the OP ... no ...that's not the point.

somehow I feel what I'm suggesting doesn't get summed up with that one case scenario.

It wasn't even a case scenario, it was an example.
    Last edited: November 13, 2013
  5. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

ok I understand that, changing your que should be possible as it is in many rts. I also like the ability to give an unfinished fab MOVE orders separate from other units out of the factory. So I don't have to pick through my unit blob for fab. However I think being able to que build orders for an unfinished fab a little much and draws from the classic rts function. Queuing up factories or whatever from unfinished fab takes away from being punished or rewarded from your time management skills which are part of a REAL TIME strategy game........ what you're pushing is more at home in a turn based game IMO
  6. tatsujb

this is utter misinterpretation.
    what part of allowing the possiblity to use the queue function more "draws" wait what? I'm gessing here you mean "removes", from rts?
    how does this turn it into turn-based?

and how is it not less micro, more macro oriented?
    Last edited: October 30, 2013
  7. arsene

arsene Active Member

meep :eek:

I wasn't responding to anyone in particular, just that the topic came up and I had some thoughts on it.
  8. tatsujb

well I'd appreciate (as you seem a little more intelligent) if you didn't participate in the derailment of my thread.
    arsene likes this.
  9. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

re read what I said....... it takes away the punishment or reward you get through TIME management, in a real TIME strategy game. Being able to set que paths before said unit is built can leave you sitting at the keyboard doing nothing......

I said your ETA based system is more at home in tbs not that it makes the game one. I just think it is more of a mechanic from turn based games, this unit will be there in five turns and have that built by two turns......... it might be an interesting mechanic to implement.....
  10. tatsujb

that's not what' I'd do.
    I don't get your expression "time management"....

C.F. wikipedia: "Time management is the act or process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency or productivity. Time management may be aided by a range of skills, tools, and techniques used to manage time when accomplishing specific tasks, projects and goals complying with a due date. Initially, time management referred to just business or work activities, but eventually the term broadened to include personal activities as well. A time management system is a designed combination of processes, tools, techniques, and methods. Time management is usually a necessity in any project development as it determines the project completion time and scope."

queueing up future orders seems to me like a good example of Time management does it not?
    it isn't. It's my idea. I invented it.

no. it won't.

because factory gets destroyed at time n. Hence you must make a new factory, get the idea?
    this is a shift-queuing mechanic, not a time machine.
    Last edited: November 21, 2013
  11. tatsujb

tehee.
  12. tatsujb

I'm gonna take this even further : past orders : open up chrono cam than target units that were in line of sight and the AI will estimate to the best of it's ability where the unit continued on to then start a patrol over last zone if it fails to encounter said unit within an imparted time.

better than supcom's "I-know-where-you-are" exploit, yet a brilliant idea for a strategic use of the chrono cam. Zaphod's attempt to chase down a bomber and not having the time for it, essentially : missing macro tools for it made me think of this.
    Last edited: November 21, 2013
  13. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Dead thread........ let it rest in piece
  14. tatsujb

You'd like that wouldn't you. I'm sorry but I don't base my judgement on if a thread is dead or not off of yours, I fact, search as I might I think you're the first to give yourself this right on this forum.
  15. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

We need as much ChronoCam functionality as we can get.

I still think my post #5 is something that is very logical without having your units be
    too-smart-for-their-own-good. :p
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/furture-queuing-reorganizing-orders.53140/#post-810190
  16. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I understand giving orders to a factory that hasn't been built yet (since the wireframes exist and could be made selectable), but how would you give orders to an engineer that hasn't been built yet? It has no selectable physical form yet. Let alone, selecting specifically the tenth engineer and giving it different orders from the ninth one. It's an interesting idea but I think the UI would need to be rather complex to allow this.

One of the examples you gave of your idea is that a fabber would know not to bother reclaiming something because it would somehow be able to see that somebody else is already ordered to reclaim the obstruction. I believe that units don't bother checking for obstructions until they are already at the site and attempting to build, so the fabber doesn't even need to know whether or not it will be clear until he actually arrives. The whole looking ahead thing seems overly complex when you could just make units dynamically check for situations as they are pertinent.
  17. Culverin

18. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I understand what your saying but honestly that sounds rather complex... because your now giving past orders to a unit that may or may not exist in the future.... Its rather niche if you ask me.
  19. masticscum

masticscum Member

Rather complex...that's one way to put it..

How about we just make 4 monitors a minimum requirement, then we can have one for every time frame (past, present & future) then 1 left over for a strategic map for the focused monitor. Then we can just order everything/nothing to rebuild/unbuild the stuff that may or may not exist with units that may or may not exist in a game that may or may not be the most macro oriented micromanagement based game ever...thereby negating everything and transporting us to 1997 and then we can go back to playing TA, having fun, and being happy.

Or we can just stick with queue ordering like its been done in the past and if it turns out to be insufficient for grand scale battles, changing it later or tweaking it along the way. Because, honestly, I was with you up until the part about past time-space queue ordering/unbulding then re-patrolling chrono cam stuff. This game is a lot to handle as it is ( as far as new mechanics and sometime having to do counter intuitive things in order to prosper) we don't need to bring time travel and its possible paradoxes into it.
  20. Culverin

@masticscum

You know how the Ferry Command works in SupCom?

- Ferry Command.
    - Click Point A.
    - Click Point B.

If you right-click your engineers to the ferry waypoint, your transports will automatically transport the engies.

I think that's what we need, but for attacking too.
    Set an Attack Command.
    But it stays on the map.

And once in a while, you can just click units to go execute your attack command.
    cat1974 likes this.