The three ease levels of getting out of the gravity well.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ajoxer, November 1, 2012.

1. timberwolf1777

timberwolf1777 New Member

Lasers dont count as fluff. There actually are weapon grade lasers in the real world. Drones have even been shot down with them. They are just very very expensive and not efficient enough to be regularly used in the field yet. Please feel free to reply to the core of the idea and not just the scifi fluff! :)

Last edited: November 21, 2013
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

3. stormingkiwi

The core of the idea is that stargates are sci-fi fluff

But we don't know how they work yet. Information encoded and transmitted at the speed of light is legitimate. The faster than light engine is a possibility, if fairly impractical and still entirely theoretical. The idea of a wormhole is theoretically possible.

I was confused by the idea that science fact should replace something which you believe is science fiction, when that's not necessarily the case. I hope to see a space elevator also.
  4. timberwolf1777

Point taken with your examples even if a few of em are still a long way from being put in the field. I guess I just love the newtonian movement and feeling of the game and would hate to see some "teleporter" show up and spoil it. Im fishing for alternative ideas that would do the same/similar job but keep that modern warfare mixed with space movement vibe.

Oh ... I read several months ago that there is a Japanese organization working toward creating a space elevator.
  5. stormingkiwi

Oh no - space elevator is perfect science fact. I meant other stuff is science fiction
    The reason why we don't have space elevators is because of materials science. The idea has been around for about 200 years, but we need a material with sufficient tensile strength for its low mass. It's looking like Carbon nanotubes will do the trick.

You know how the warp drive works eh? A teleporter could conceivably work the same way. It wouldn't be instantaneous, but it wouldn't be slow either.
  6. timberwolf1777

Yeah. I get that there are explanations that could explain it theoretically. Just like sheilds and levitating toruses that house hundreds of aircraft as they lay waste to an enemy base with huge plasma beams fired from the center (Aeon). Dont get me wrong. I loved SC1 and FA. I still play them. But with PA, the physics, theme, and weaponry have none of that flash and rely on tried and true modern day proven tech (yes even lasers are proven weapons tech). The orbital mechanics are slow, yes, but also have the feeling of being doable with the equipment of today. Even unit cannons (assuming railgun tech) are doable as we have proved that railguns work ... even if they do require an entire nuclear reactor to power. Why spoil that "just around the corner" feel of the game by adding something that is only thoretically explainable like a teleporter would be? If there is a teleport device, then why dont our powerplants run on antimatter? Why would my greatest power plant be using solar power? Where are my shields? Where are my plasma hover tanks? Where is my giant robot with super magnets for arms and a fusion beam cannon head? Etc etc.

PA has the feel of "Tomorrow Tech" rather than next century stuff. I guess I look for consistency :D
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. stormingkiwi

Yeah that's true. . . But the idea of turning something solid into an electromagnetic waveform, and then turning it back into something solid, isn't that far fetched. On balance.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I too was thinking unit cannons and maybe a t2 unit cannon that fills a pod with units and shoots those multiple units in one shot.

And orbital transports which are reuseable.

Also, space elevator is a neat orbital-based mass transport, while a "gate" teleporter is a good ground based one.