32-bit Linux builds anyone?

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by abyvargl, November 20, 2013.

1. abyvargl

abyvargl New Member

I've got my key for beta and there is version for Linux, but build is 64-bit (amd64). I'm currently running 32-bit (i686) Ubuntu and was curious if appropriate build will be available anytime soon?

P.S. Proper deb instead of tar.bz2 will also be appreciated.
    P.P.S. Guys, you might also want to strip your binaries and remove debug information. I can see your .cpp and .h files in binary.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually this topic need to be moved to Linux/Mac forums:
    https://forums.uberent.com/forums/mac-and-linux-getting-started.73/

It's was discussed quite long time ago and it's not likely to happen, it's time to upgrade to 64-bit distribution.

32-bit Windows builds is there, but they're broken for most of games because PA usually need more than 4GB RAM.

I think this made for reason that we can provide backtrace for devs when required. As long as game is client-server debug information do not make cheating possible, so there is nothing to worry about.

Really don't want debug information to be removed.
    Last edited: November 20, 2013
  3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Moved to Mac & Linux forum :)
  4. abyvargl

abyvargl New Member

Ouch. I was hoping there would be simplified graphics for folks like me, i don't even have 4GB of RAM.

Still think i686 build needed, my HW is amd64-capable, but i intentionally run i686 Ubuntu because JVM is working funny on 64-bits. But if there is 4GB hardware requirement, then i think it's hopeless. Oh well.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

4GB it's minimal RAM requirement for PA. Anything lower will result in swapping due to low RAM.

Graphics settings not affect memory because textures are generated and stored on GPU memory and most RAM used by generated planets.
  6. abyvargl

abyvargl New Member

Yeah, i see it on the website now, but i was hoping a year ago or so, when it was funded on kickstarter...

Well, render distance, details level and stuff maybe, i don't know. Like in Minecraft which i'm still playing with reduced feature set. Total annihilation was running very nice on my Pentium 166Mhz with 32Mb RAM back then you know.

Too bad. Well, i'll make it a gift to someone, or something like that.
  7. geopirate

geopirate New Member

Also FYI Oracle is moving to 64 bit, so JVM is pretty stable on 64 bit Ubuntu now, not sure if you've tried it out in the last year or two... I've been using 64 bit Ubuntu as a Java development environment with zero issues.