It's time to talk unit ideas

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by neutrino, September 30, 2013.

1. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

We already have a fabber and area commands are coming.
  2. theducklingunity

theducklingunity New Member

First i want to add that black holes and super novas should be in the game. No question about it. It would be cool if you could build a giant solar panel that blocks the sunrays from the sun, that would handicap the solar planets in the opponents base and give you all the power. :) Suddenly everything turns pitch black in your opponent's base.

And imagine how nice it would be with suecidal bots that climbed walls and dropped themselfs on the enemy, lighting a fatal explosive charge that damaged them!
    Last edited: November 19, 2013
  3. blacksun777

blacksun777 New Member

First: I haven't read all the 37 pages. So maybe somebody had the same or cooler idea.
    I thought it would be kind of cool to have swarm of little robots building a bridge over gaps, water, hills you name it. Like those cute little blocks stacking and changing them self. Also they could be something like a blockade to shield for an area (as a alternative wall block) opening up like water and growing together again as the own units went through not opening for the enemy. Also they could be like floating islands on water to transport stuff. Or even build on it and drive around with it on the water. Maybe even take ships on land (like the little crabs from pirates of Caribbean). Even cooler, I find, would be that because they are so tiny they can not protect good enough against enemy cyber attacks. To control them players would need some thing like radar coverage. And if the enemy has the stronger signal they would be overtaken by the enemy and now controllable for him.
  4. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

I would love to see this type of tank that would clear away debree or allow for faster movement speed for landunits behind it, I know from the previous livestreams Uber got some amazing AI guys that will implement formations, I would love to see these tanks automatically be put as frontline tanks in formations allowing for the "brigade" or whatever to keep its initiative and not lose momentum when traversing the annoying debree that ATM cause many T1 tank swarms to fail hard.

[​IMG]
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Please, that tank couldn't even plow a path for itself, never mind and army of tanks behind it. If you want a Leman Russ just ask for that.

Mike
  6. dietshnurd

dietshnurd New Member

There needs to be a slow turning energy weapon tank like the Punisher from TA.
  7. kingtordur

kingtordur New Member

I don't know if this has been suggested before. But basically a huge transport hovercraft for moving units across the sea. It would make as a good unit between flying transports, as it maybe could be an early tier naval unit, that is best countered by naval units..
  8. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I want a Leman Russ. But with the animations from unpatched 1.0 DoW when every shot from the main gun kicked it back so hard it almost rolled around. Pretty please with sugar on top.
  9. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

corrected
    Raevn likes this.
  10. czarkoff

czarkoff New Member

I would love to see something like SupCom's mass fabricator. It would ideally cost nearly no metal and quite a lot of energy, and it should suck a lot of energy from player - a come back option to punish opponent for not paying enough attention.
  11. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Lol, yeh, make it a squiggoth, the're good at plowing!
  12. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Spy unit that you can sneak into the enemy base and siphon off resources.
  13. Gunman006

Gunman006 Member

Lots of haters here, dont really care what the tanks looks like as long as it has a big plow or something and lots of armor hehe
  14. KNight

To be fair, you are the one that picked a photo to represent your idea, if you don't care about the visuals then why pick a picture eh? ;p

Mike
    Gunman006 likes this.
  15. mafoon

mafoon Member

A carpet bomber, the normal bombers just circle around and pop off their shots where as the carpet bomber comes in slow and drops a rolling curtain of death
  16. mafoon

mafoon Member

Grasshopper Bots-
    move around by doing large jumps which makes them fast and means they can avoid obstacles by going over the top (may be a challenge to get pathing right but not that difficult to get a first implementation going to be refined), good for chasing things down or going over units to get to squishier targets behind them, very difficult to hit while moving but they can only fire when they stay still

edit-difficult to hit because they jump out the path of projectiles and over them
  17. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Knight, have you ever seen that tank try clearing a path? I think it can definitly clear the way while kicking *** with 4-5 guns on board.
  18. KNight

Alright, you asked for it.

The Leman Russ, as pictured, would be terrible for path clearing, regardless of hot many guns you mindlessly strap-on. The plow it self is barely half the height of the Tank's Hull and isn't even wide enough to boot, if that Leman Russ tried to use it's plow to clear a path through a solid wall of tank carcasses it would, in all likelyhood, rip of it's own sponson weapons.

Look at real Bulldozers and you'll see that, especially in the larger ones, that the Blade is always at least half the height of the main body and wider than the Bulldozer itself.

If you had to use a 40K example, at use one that fits the bill;

[​IMG]

Minus the Demolisher Cannon of course.

Mike
    cmdandy and Gunman006 like this.
  19. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

You challenge me in the only thing i know anything about. #1 There is no scale on that bulldozertank afaik. #2 Tanks explode when they die so they aren't so solid anymore. #3 Bulldozers like that are used to shift/adapt/spread ground/sand or rocks/stone not solid blocks of metal, so thats what i would use them for. Leave the carcass for a mobile crane or something. #4 That blue tank you posted also is a great idea but it can use more guns or an aircraft-repair platform.

#5 pushing a mountain into a lake to make a bridge to the enemy
  20. GreenBag

GreenBag Active Member

We seem to have ideas for nearly every type of unit, but how is fighting on a gas planet going to be done? I'm guessing a gas based unit would need something for mobility and staying aloft so a sail or helicopter style blades on the side of buildings/units.
    mot9001 likes this.