Scale Megathread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, June 24, 2013.

?

The size of units and structures in PA should be :

1. Decreased a Whole Lot

122 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Increased

37 vote(s)
    6.6%
  3. Left as they are

132 vote(s)
    23.5%
  4. Decreased

271 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

If anyone has new input feel free. make sure you do read some of the thread. at least page two and three.
  2. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Am I the only one who also has an issue with the scale of orbital?
    It just seems way too close to the planet.

I think somebody posted an image this week of the issue, but it didn't make it into this thread.

It seems to me that players are getting a lot of confusion with the orbital layers and ground units.
    While I am sure this will get tweaked as the UI gets better, I think part of the issue comes from low orbital elevation.
    If it was higher, a slight spin of the planet would have your orbital satellites move much further away so there would be less confusion with ground and air.
  3. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

Orbital isn't close to the planet, it's just not very well differentiated from the rest of the units with strategic icons because it gets lost. Making it further away will just make it worse because you won't be able to see it at all if you zoom in any.

If you spin the planet at all it becomes VERY clear where Orbital is, it sticks out quite a ways from the planet.

Increasing it would cause more problems than making it more visible in other ways would.
  4. tatsujb

I dunno I kinda agree with Culverin there as I play zoomed out to max anyways, so there's a fai margin to go for orbital units to go out further.
    (not to metion currently they land (for the orbital fighters) and then loose the capacity to go as high as before but that's a bug)
  5. tatsujb

Last edited: July 22, 2014
  6. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

One thing to remember with scale. If the planets are life size we can expect troop movements to take weeks.
  7. Nullimus

With air fabbers you can build on plateaus. try it.

To check myself I went into the game and tried it. Apparently that was removed for all structures except the T1 radar. But you can still build radar on a plateau if you want to.

I want to be able to do that again. In early alpha shortly after the planet editor came out. I built a planet that had a lot of plateaus. There was even a "U" shaped canyon that I built a pretty heavily fortified base in. The plateaus around the base had laser towers and AA on them and it proved to be quite effective.
    Last edited: November 15, 2013
  8. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

I don't think anyone is requesting 'life sized' planets. Or even a life like scale. We want the units smaller so everything fits together better and looks less stupid.

I've seen this 'oh no units will take weeks to get to the fight' worry a couple of times now. Simply enough go look at Supreme Commander. Or TA. Both had epic scale (which felt right) and had a game/unit speed which was perfectly acceptable.

If people want a fast paced game (with a reduced scale) play on a smaller planet. Or go play SC2.
  9. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

What's the average time for a 1v1 ladder match in SupCom?
  10. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

20 minutes, much like pa right now
  11. godde

godde Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I think current scale can be just fine.
    plink and liquius like this.
  12. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

:O how big is that planet?
  13. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Can't remember. :p
    I should probably have made a note.
  14. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Now all they need to do is make that planet use no more than 3 GB, triple unit speed, and quadruple aircraft flying height.
  15. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

This is right! If we decrase the size, the Fights would Take much longer! In my opinion its okay to decrase the structures a Little bit, but not to 70% or less!!
  16. Nullimus

If we scale down the size of the units we could scale up the travel speed. Honestly, tanks are painfully slow right now. I think the speed of everything should be increased by about 50%. Of course unit speed is another discussion.
  17. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

Unit size is independant of speed.

If you do 30 mph, you do it as a speed boat, a truck, a spaceship or a little remote toy.

I'm sorry to say so dumb things, but as people keep repeating that speed argument ad nauseam, I felt it was necessary :)
    tatsujb and Culverin like this.
  18. tatsujb

maximum playable size is 1200.
    that does look gorgeous, doesn't change how bad I want he unit size reduced. once they walk up to the mountain the illusion breaks.
    cmdandy likes this.
  19. cmdandy

cmdandy Active Member

/stick a Leviathan in the picture and the illusion is gone before its started. The gun range to size of those things makes me cry inside.
  20. tatsujb

dude me toooo
    cmdandy likes this.