Less focus on AI, more focus on multiplayer...PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by judicatorofgenocide, November 14, 2013.

1. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

give it time dude. give it time. In the last build I know that full servers weren't displayed for me. and in the wee hours of this morning I went on and saw a 6 player FFA waiting for one player. I was like "dude. I could be that dude"
  2. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

"Its not always easy to pull 5 people together who are working to do a playtest" This is unacceptable, I could name 30 high caliber players willing to change there day to day schedule to make this the best RTS ever made. High caliber means the best to date that love your game that are willing to test and implement any version of strat and balance you can conceive. They will micro, they will macro, they will preform. They belong to all the known clans within PA as we know it! Garat It has not been pointed out to the level of which I have shown.

Its not about the one vs. the other. The topic at hand is about making pvp the BEST pvp vs. all other RTS's to date. This game has the capability. The only question is does it have the dedication?
    zaphodx likes this.
  3. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

I can understand reading comprehension problems, but you could at least read previous message before your rant....
    stuart98, Terrasque and stormingkiwi like this.
  4. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Note: "...automate testing..."
    It is hard to ask a player to play the game for hours upon hours just to determine if there is memory leak.
    We are not just talking about game balance. We are also talking about playability and bug testing.
    Why ask a player to play the game for an extended period of time just to see if the game crashes when the same task can be delegated to an AI or automated testing?
    Also an AI or a script have no subjective opinion so if you know what you want to test you can tell the AI or script to perform some actions in the exact same order every time.
    Not to mention that an AI will start to play when you tell it to play and that it can play the game at highly elevated simulation speed.
    Last edited: November 15, 2013
    stuart98, stormingkiwi and shootall like this.
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Not to mention that sending out builds to specific people that are available at a given time is also a lot of extra work as well.

PA is going to have a industry leading AI regardless because Sorian won't settle for anything less, he never has. IF it's priority gets bumped up a bit because it has other uses to the team don't cry foul play.

Mike
    stormingkiwi and godde like this.
  6. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

bit off topic, but I really like the graphical style at the moment...am I in the minority?
    thetrophysystem and stormingkiwi like this.
  7. KNight

KNight Post Master General

You shouldn't be considering it very close to what was presented as the Game's aesthetic in the Kickstarter Video.

Mike
    drz1 likes this.
  8. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I agree, the graphics look a lot better now that we have HDR and AA. They actually got a lot closer to the kickstarter video.
    drz1 likes this.
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Yeah
    me too :)
    drz1 likes this.
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Yep, I like the graphics. What they need to add now, is the detail terrain features, maybe even more procedurally generated terrain altogether. That would be swell.

Detail textures and more widespread brush, and this game would look like those ultra-sharp pictures of biomes they released as concept pictures.
    stormingkiwi and Quitch like this.
  11. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

no they look better wtf?

to all you KS drooling goons :
  12. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I don't understand what you are trying to say...
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I thought that even in Alpha the game looked pretty much exactly like the trailer but with lower resolution textures. The biggest difference is that planetary features are often sparser in the game, which is because the game needs to be played and the trailer just needs to look good.

I don't think people realise how big a difference the low camera angle (used to look good) makes compared to the high camera angle in-game (used to be playable).
    Last edited: November 15, 2013
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  14. Slaytronic

Slaytronic New Member

yeah the over head camera is awful it should never be default
  15. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Of course it should be the default (though it's not quite overhead, just higher angled than the trailers), it provides you with the best view for actually playing the game.
    thetrophysystem and stormingkiwi like this.
  16. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Ha you don't have a clue
  17. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

There is no way you could survive against even a crap ai on my server
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you mean a PA planet system, or a server in another game? I doubt you have a PA server.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  19. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

not going to spent too much time on this thread, think its a little ridiculous to complain about having only 1 team member working on AI, completely ridiculous... but don't you need an AI guy in order to work out the path finding for all the units? otherwise how else are you going to fix that single particular issue without having everyone in the entire office playing and recording the games so he can figure out whats going wrong in the first place? You need AI in order to fix the issues that are going to pop up in multiplayer.
  20. ulight

ulight Member

Remember Sorian works on all kinds of AI not just the AI personalities that control the opposing armies. Unit pathfinding with flow field is a good example of this. Smarter units make for less mirco for the player.