Less focus on AI, more focus on multiplayer...PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by judicatorofgenocide, November 14, 2013.

1. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

I understand the AI improvements should be in the game. The thing is AI improvements imho should be the last thing implemented in the game. When you look at alpha to beta, and the number of improvements made for each you see a positive correlation to competitive play. I beg Uber to focus more on player interaction and spend their indescribable (precious) time on the competitive aspect of player vs. player, instead of the player vs. AI aspect. This game is the best RTS ever made period. Though the previous fact is true we are seeing a larger and larger amount of competitive players leaving the player vs player scene do to the fact more time is being spent in making AI improvements instead of vs. player vs. player improvements.

This trend can not continue if we want PA to succeed as the dominate RTS on the scene. People, fans, gamers want to see the greats face off on the field of battle with unobtainable goals of proficiency, multitasking, and destruction. These things will make this game grow to the legendary ESPORTS status of games like starcraft, starcraft 2, and league of legends.

Currently as a overall community the game is dying. Ladies and Gentlemen we are in beta! The games previously mentioned had 100 thousand more players at a minimum at 1:00 am during a week day than we in PA currently have. This statistic alone should show us as alpha players and beta players that the focus of game improvement is headed in the wrong direction.

The goal of improvement imho should be based on one simple fact. We should drag as many RTS lovers into the arms of planetary ******* annihilation as humanly possible! This game should not be a niche community. This game should not cater to hard core SC fans. This game should be the BEST RTS EVER CREATED! WHY? BECAUSE! It has the best concepts ever applied to an RTS to date, and those that created it should be rewarded for their innovative work!
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

There is only one guy working on AI. The entire rest of the dev team is working on fleshing out the game. I think your concerns are exaggerated, at best.
    l3tuce, cola_colin, igncom1 and 7 others like this.
  3. bambam1

bambam1 New Member

ok ok your right, as long as the AI improvements don't fall to the waste side when the PVP aspects get ironed out.
  4. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

There is someone (sorian) working on the AI constantly. He is specialized in programming the AI. It also takes a lot of time so its not like they could implement the AI in the last couple of months. Game development takes multiple people with different specializations and skill sets. It's not like the whole team can work on one and the same thing. Maybe you should read more into game development first before you start posting a useless topic?
  5. bambam1

bambam1 New Member

exaggerated, no, why not have that guy on PVAI improvements on on PVP improvements then when PVP is ironed out slap him back on PvAI ? If its best for drawing more gamers into playing the game?
  6. judicatorofgenocide

As a concern with the overall popularity of the game with regards that this should be the best RTS ever created maybe the money spent on highering AI people should be spent on PVP people instead? We should focus on less development on increasing the calibure of play of hard core gammers to this particular RTS than we should be developing the play of every true RTS gamer known to man. Within RTS PVP comes 1st PVAI comes 2nd almost as a tutorial.
  7. alucardex2

alucardex2 Member

And why don't we let the professionals decide how to handle things like this?
    Seriously it seems everyone here on the forums is a AAA game developer these days....
  8. BallsonFire

BallsonFire Active Member

As far I Know only one guy is working on the AI. You think no one should work on the AI? A lot of people wont even play online but just against the AI. I'm not one of them but Uber also have to take those people who loves AI in consideration
    ulight, galaxyisos and gadarn like this.
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

.... how do you flesh out the pvp experience?
  10. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Dude there is ONE guy working on the AI. Deal with it.
    Quitch and stormingkiwi like this.
  11. judicatorofgenocide

1st off, it is not exaggerated because the player numbers during beta, the precipice of competitive gammers prior to release don't hold a candle to games previously mentioned. Second beta competitive PA doesn't hold a candle to alpha competitive PA.

In response to stormingkiwi, I don't know how you better flesh out the pvp experience. That is for developers to iron out. All i DO know is that with the fact that we are losing numbers in the competitive player base, we are headed in the wrong direction.

With that single fact in mind, the dwindling level of involvement of competitive players we should as a community change our focus, unless we want this to be a niche game. If this game cant obtain a minimum of 300K players on at every hour after release, we as a community have failed.

Pathetic starcraft 2 had a minimum of 500K players on at every hour! Planetary Annihilation stomps Starcraft 2 into the ******* dirt. The level of strats, the potential level of multi tasking, and overalll skill makes this the best RTS to date period.

Why then are we falling to the waste side as a community? Why are we dwindling? Why are we not as big? Why don't we have the following we deserve? Why are more pathetic games leading the way?

I don't know the answer to these questions, I'm just trying to figure them out based on the leaders of our current genre. All I know is that if PA falls into a niche crowd I will claw my eyes out in misery! PA deserves, to gain the right of the best RTS ever made.

The only question is how do we make it so.
  12. thepilot

thepilot Well-Known Member

It's cute that you still have hopes for that :)
  13. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Do you have a way to substantiate your claims?

You do realise that the number of people who ever signed into gas powered games online is tiny compared to retail sales?

Edit: Bloody syntax errors! Bane of my existence.
  14. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

TA and SupCom where both games that are played mostly against the AI. I have never played TA. did it even have a multiplayer?

Uber is trying to make a successor to TA. Basicly that this is a Player VS AI game. This ain't gonne be StarCraft2 or League of Legends. But all new games have multiplayer so that means PA will also have multiplayer. If PA becomes a Esport that is a very nice extra.
    galaxyisos likes this.
  15. cwarner7264

I think you have a very different perception of failure to many of us.

Of course we all want the game to do well, but there are a LOT of changes still to be made. We are still effectively bound to a single planet in most competitive matches. Judging the success of the game on its current state is an exercise in futility.
  16. torrasque

torrasque Active Member

There is just one develeopper working on the IA and uber have more than 20 employee. That's less than 5% of the workfore.
    There is no focus on IA.
    I only know it's not because of a lone guy is working on the IA.
  17. judicatorofgenocide

as by no means should this game be judged on current state, but that of total potential! Just like we should judge total outcome of players drawn to game. Your basing potential player base on caliber of game, where others are judging player base on potential. This game has unlimited potential! Where you say don't critique or judge cuz it will get were you want, I don't believe you. If trends continue this game will be NICHE. That is the last thing I want. This game should be main stream!

Personally, Ive drawn 22 close starcraft friends to this game over SC2. Simultaneously they are all losing faith because PA seems to becoming more and more NICHE over time. These players want broad competitive play, where the best strategical, apm, skill level player wins.
    Last edited: November 14, 2013
  18. judicatorofgenocide

Every patch i see 1 or 2 disappear, and that is atrocious as we should be trying to drag them and all their friends into this game! I'm the biggest proponent that there can be for overall success of this game, yet if it becomes niche, I will cry and turn my back on it to find better competition vs. the multitudes instead of playing the same 6 players over and over again in a community of 10,000. 500,000 per hour should be the goal no 10,000 at the peak of existence.
  19. cwarner7264

There's a popular SC2 streamer promoting PA over the next few days. That should help bring in a few more people, right?
  20. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

A guy sees one tiny (often imaginary) problem with the game. A guy posts a thread, blaming this exact problem for all (imaginary) game failures and predicts complete community disaster and lack of sales because of this one problem, exaggerating it to the point of silliness.

How many times this happened already? I think at least three or four.