I broke it.

Discussion in 'Support!' started by daveinblue, November 12, 2013.

1. ZobiOneKenobi

ZobiOneKenobi New Member

Hi,

Got exactly the same crash since update on win 8.1 with AMD Radeon HD4850.
    Got another computer with HD5850 all is working fine.

Visual Studio Debugger say that the crash is in atio6axx.dll (AMD OpenGl Driver), got version 6.14.10.11672 (Latest ATI beta driver 13-9-legacy_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc)

Edit : I tried all usual fix (Reinstalling PA, registry cleaning, AMD Driver reinstall, Local Settings cleaning)
    Last edited: November 13, 2013
  2. lordmd

lordmd Member

Ah yeah. OpenGL sounds like a problem. I think with with Spring ( http://springrts.com/ ) there also were problems with Ati cards and OpenGL. At least back then when I tried that I had a lot of crashes and read at their forums that OpenGL + Ati was not a good combination apparently.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

AMD drivers in general sounds like a problem, no mater what API and operation system you use. :rolleyes:
    ZobiOneKenobi likes this.
  4. perecil

perecil Active Member

Ok, I've an 4770HD and I also have this bug.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Vote for PA#2638 and it's will be even better if you upload your DxDiag.txt in comments.
  6. lordmd

lordmd Member

Then I'm glad at least my CPU is not from AMD ha ha. I know back then years ago a lot of peole liked AMD but I always had CPU from Intel. Only graphics I always bought ATI cause somehow I preferred it to Geforce(had hardware sided problems with the one and only Geforce I had).

So I'm copying my stuff now.

I don't get the message the OP gets directly. I have the german version of windows. Translated it would be probably something like "pa.exe is not working anymore" shortly after loading(white screen before menu but it doesn't make it until the main menu). Then something about looking for solutions. I then can look at Windows Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer to get some events with similar stuff the OP posted in his first post:

Code:
    Fehlerbucket 141853742, Typ 4
    Ereignisname: APPCRASH
    Antwort: Nicht verfügbar
    CAB-Datei-ID: 0

Problemsignatur:
    P1: pa.exe
    P2: 0.0.0.0
    P3: 52819482
    P4: StackHash_43b7
    P5: 6.1.7601.18247
    P6: 521eaf24
    P7: c0000374
    P8: 00000000000c4102
    P9:
    P10:

Angefügte Dateien:
    C:\Users\lordmd\AppData\Local\Temp\WER8E4A.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

Diese Dateien befinden sich möglicherweise hier:
    C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_pa.exe_397b58cebfbfcc7a2e4ff1942839194b4e552f_131bb53a

Analysesymbol:
    Es wird erneut nach einer Lösung gesucht: 0
    Berichts-ID: 6e91e55e-4c6e-11e3-bce9-001fd0929189
    And:
    Code:
    Name der fehlerhaften Anwendung: pa.exe, Version: 0.0.0.0, Zeitstempel: 0x52819482
    Name des fehlerhaften Moduls: ntdll.dll, Version: 6.1.7601.18247, Zeitstempel: 0x521eaf24
    Ausnahmecode: 0xc0000374
    Fehleroffset: 0x00000000000c4102
    ID des fehlerhaften Prozesses: 0xdb8
    Startzeit der fehlerhaften Anwendung: 0x01cee07b2e52132e
    Pfad der fehlerhaften Anwendung: F:\Planetary Annihilation\PA\bin_x64\pa.exe
    Pfad des fehlerhaften Moduls: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Berichtskennung: 6e91e55e-4c6e-11e3-bce9-001fd0929189
    Latest log is:
    Code:
    [15:18:11.047] INFO Log file C:\Users\lordmd\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log\PA-15-18-11.031.txt opened
    [15:18:11.047] INFO delete /user/log/PA-13-59-18.000.txt
    [15:18:11.047] INFO Looks like this isn't the Steam distribution
    [15:18:11.047] ERROR Error reading F:\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\user\mods: 3
    [15:18:11.047] INFO Loaded 0 mods
    [15:18:12.061] INFO GL_VENDOR: ATI Technologies Inc.
    [15:18:12.061] INFO GL_RENDERER: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    [15:18:12.061] INFO GL_VERSION: 3.3.11672 Compatibility Profile Context
    [15:18:12.061] INFO GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 3.30
    [15:18:12.061] INFO Gamma correct pipeline enabled.

DxDiag.txt is attached. Tried renaming that folder which apparently doesn't help(cause it more likely is a driver problem). Also re-verified all files and downloaded newest drivers. But didn't completely reinstall new - probably won't help if it's some other problem.

Edit: Voted in the tracker and posted my DxDiag.txt there. Seems for me there is also an older version of the driver(2012 where you said newest should be 2013) and the setup says up to date and only updates Cataclyst Control Center for me. Maybe newer versions only for newer cards and don't support the older cards so setup does not update?

Attached Files:

Last edited: November 13, 2013
  7. perecil

perecil Active Member

Done, with attachments. Also notice that meanwhile I tried to install the latests drivers, the version is still the one from november 2012.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Try to remove existing version of Catalyst using Windows Control Panel and then re-install latest driver again.
    It's actually looks like AMD legacy driver installer works really really bad. :(
  9. lordmd

lordmd Member

I don't even know why there are such installers... I still prefer the old fashiond method in old windows where you just went to hardware manager and selected the path to search for drivers and it displayed the option with drivers it found where you could select your hardware model.

Now I just tried this with Windows 7. Doesn't seem to offer a list where you can choose the hardware model(but it correctly identifies the 4800 series).

I had that downloaded installer which extracts, then automatically runs a setup. Now I just let hardware manager search for newer drivers in that folder where the setup installer files where extracted(including subfolders) and it found and installed.

Driver version for me is now april 29, 2013 (instead of november 2012).
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Yeah, this is actually latest version of Legacy drivers. :)
  11. thedoctorscotty

thedoctorscotty New Member

Just tried doing it this way, it updated for me. My Driver Date is now 4/29/13, though driver version went from .3000 to .1100. Makes no sense to me.

Ran verified PA again, still crashes with same error.
  12. daveinblue

daveinblue New Member

Realistically how long would something like this take to fix? Currently quite a few people can't play the game at all, quite frustrating for those us who are in that position.
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

To fix this bug those steps are required:
    1. Uber need to find appropriate hardware.
    2. Such problems require some skills, so not anybody can fix it.
      Somebody of devs need to find some time on it in schedule.
    3. They need to find out why exactly it's crashed.
      It's not likely in-game problem, so they need to understand what wrong in part of AMD closed source driver.
    4. They should find some workaround for this bug and test that it's not cause problems on other configurations.
    So this might take a while.

There still chance that it's can be fixed quick and easy. :)
  14. varrak

varrak Official PA

I've identified the issue. There was one shader where a particular code pattern caused just this AMD driver to crash (it's a driver bug that's not been fixed, even in the latest drivers). I've made the fix to our shader code and verified it locally, and we'll see the fix in the next build - available soon.

To immediately unblock those of you hitting this problem, go to the following location:

<your game drive>:\Games\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\shaders

and edit the file named "textured_cross_impostor.fs".

In there, there's the following two lines of code:

if (!gl_FrontFacing)
    v_Normal *= vec3(-1.0, -1.0, -1.0);

Remove those. This won't effect gameplay or visuals, but will fix the crash.

We'll have a build coming out shortly that should fix this, but in the meantime, this will get those of you who can't play up and running again.

Sorry for the inconvenience here. We tested on various AMD cards, but not that particular generation (and of course, all the others run without issues).
    perecil, ghost1107, Arachnis and 3 others like this.
  15. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Wow, you guys are fast!
    varrak likes this.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think that's interesting fact, that for me this shader failed to compile with this error:
    Code:
    0:73(11): error: assignment to read-only variable 'v_Normal'
  17. thedoctorscotty

thedoctorscotty New Member

I've got the ATI 4300/4500, this fixed worked for me, was able to play a game! Thanks for all the help/work SXX and varrak!
    varrak and ZobiOneKenobi like this.
  18. daveinblue

daveinblue New Member

Thanks guys, really appreciate the speed in which this was dealt with.
    varrak and maxpowerz like this.
  19. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

we just want everyone to enjoy the game as much as we do,
    so we do our best to assist those who need it :)
  20. lordmd

lordmd Member

Thanks. Latest build fixed this bug. Now ATI should fix their drivers. :D