Ai its kicking my butt! :/

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by RMJ, November 12, 2013.

1. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Well.

I finally found some time to play some PA again and wanted to do some skirmish vs AI.

Something has definitely improved it kicks my butt. flanks from multiple places and what not lol.

Anyone has like a tutorial video on the macro on PA to keep up with it.

Thanks
  2. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

You can turn down the AI build capability in the Game lobby if you want to set a handicap.

If you want to get some build advice.

I would recommend viewing zaphodx videos on YouTube or brianpurkiss's stuff as well. There is a sticky in this forum that has plenty of channels to choose from.
  3. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

This right here made my day.
    Heizmeister, MrTBSC, FSN1977 and 13 others like this.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I bet you feel like Dr. Frankenstein. Watching the monster that you've created dismember those around you.
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

The AI has improved drastically in the last couple patches

Can't wait to see what you do when it is fully fleshed out. It doesn't offer much of a challenge to me anymore atm, it is weak against long range bombardment still. The addition of pelters in its defense really helped with this early on but late game, you can easily pop up catapults and holkins in range of its base and blow it to teeny tiny pieces.

That being said a few games back I did have a very rude surprise when I tried to colonize a moon only to find the dam thing already there.
    stuart98, LavaSnake and stormingkiwi like this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

x'D

make it kick mine and I'll post too!
    stuart98 and stormingkiwi like this.
  7. bytestream

bytestream Active Member

The AI most definitively improved over the last patches but unless you boost her eco she isn't a real challenge yet. She still seems to struggle with early raids which can cripple her eco cos she doesn't seem to rebuild wrecked mexes or mid to late game long ranged attacks.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Hopefully this tutorial will help: http://pamatches.com/2013/planetary-annihilation-tutorial-basic-gameplay-and-techniques/

In short, expand expand expand. Build bases everywhere. Placing turrets at your expansions helps. The more map control and proxy bases you have, the better. Also, use Radar. The Basic Radar is very cheap. Spam it out. When you have full radar coverage all around your base and at all your expansions, you'll see flanking attacks coming. Very very useful.
  9. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Well its freaking scary, when you have certain expectations to how the AI is, and then suddenly its attacking from ALL ANGLES and expanding like a mad man haha.

Me totally frantic trying to figure our wtf is wrong lol.

But yeah it probably doesnt help that im not the greatest player. My Diamond league SC2 skills dont help me much here.

But the AI is most definitely improving, which is totally awesome. Good job :)

Thanks for the tutorial :)
    Grimseff likes this.
  10. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

Dr. Frankenstein rejected his creation as a hideous mistake.
    He doesn't cackle with glee like (I imagine) Sorian does. :)
    stuart98, Grimseff, LavaSnake and 2 others like this.
  11. mrpause

mrpause New Member

Expand like hell, build strong army while teching, you can also try to cheese them with turrets/pelters, it works wonders against AIs, even against humans sometimes =))
    bonvoyager2 likes this.
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

That weakness has been worked on. Threat response is in locally.
  13. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

Even if you is fighiting against a Sorian AI, if you lose against that, I think that you is a noob and need to improve, when AI don't have creativite...
    Is like what Han say in the first SW:
    -Against a Droid is easy, try them against a human(or some like that)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  14. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Yeah again as i said i havent had time to play for a while. But before the Ai was just no challenge at all.
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I don't know - against the AI I use the same strategies that you use against humans. I gut its power, I attack its expansions, I keep the initiative and keep pressuring it. Because if I let up for a second it will expand across the map like a cancer.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. mymothersmeatloaf

mymothersmeatloaf Member

This is my second day on the forum, and to actually see the developers actively communicating with the community is a real pleasure to see, and nothing I have ever experienced from any other game devs.

As for the AI, I was surprised whenever I started to realize that I was doing so well, attacking the enemy here and there, sending troops in whenever I can.

Well most of my army quite literally consisted of mostly planes and DOX soldiers but I was trying to work on expanding it even larger using different units.

But then a scouting plane noticed quite literally an expanding army gathering near my base, full of anti air troops and a battalion of tanks.

I got absolutely wrecked in seconds.

I've seen AI do stuff like that before, but to distinctively park right outside my base on the side where there are no defenses is one of the most clever things I have ever seen in any game I've played.
  17. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Check out my videos, I have a 1v1 out later today where I've really begun to get mildly competent which should help.
    bonvoyager2 and stormingkiwi like this.
  18. bonvoyager2

bonvoyager2 New Member

I do that too. Works great unless they made nukes. So don't take too long to amass an army. :D
  19. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Don't listen to this man, he's full of ****. He's actually pretty good, he's just been dicking around with his early game recently and having a rough time of it (at least in the replays I've seen recently) :) Watch his replays and expand aggressively like him.

The AI doesn't build enough fabbers and it doesn't get fabbers to work together. The easiest mistake to make in this game is to underestimate how many fabbers you should have on the field at any one time.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  20. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

No joke I actually kinda fixed my early game eco usage and efficiency in this game! It's out in like 10 minutes ;)

Edit: Link
    Last edited: November 13, 2013
    tatsujb and stormingkiwi like this.