"Wall cheese"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by spazzdla, November 12, 2013.

1. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

If the unit exists and it's going to win me the game I am going to use it...

Why do people get so upset about walling your base when you see the enemy army coming in on your radar..... I didn't put the unit it the game lol.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

People get upset about it because it makes for boring games. That's the whole reason the gentleman's rules existed in the first place.

Also, I think it's probably good for people's blood pressure. Wall spam is rage-inducing.
  3. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

That is correct, but due to immense strength of walls (They even survive nucking IIRC) it is considered unsportsmanlike to spamm walls with impunity. The same way it's considered unsportsmanlike to do a 6 pool in SC2 or cannon rush. It's not that they can't be defeated, but they are considered a (way too) cheap for their impact on the game.
  4. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I don't understand why you use walls like that in the first place (surrounding turrets and stuff)
    I find they are WAY more effective if you put them randomly in turret killzones. Because they act as a tank barrier to incoming deathballs, slow them down, disrupt the ball a little, and generally increase the number of casualties sustained.
  5. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

When ladder comes out.. I will do anything and everything to win. If wall spam is going to prevent your T1 tanks form eating me so I can nuke you.. lol it's gonna happen.
    cmdandy and hahapants like this.
  6. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Mid combat.. when people come on the attack on me if my land army is away or destroyed I use my engies to build a small wall and guns behind it... I will agree it's amazingly powerfully.. OP one might argue. I only build walls when I see an army coming in I won't be able to handle... It's amazingly effective.. again perhaps OP.
  7. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

If you use it 1 wall per turret, then that it's ok :p I understood you got blamed for wall spamming: putting up lots and lots of walls and little to no turrets.
  8. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Perhaps the wall should be removed...? If the game is not going to be turtle friendly like TA IMO the wall should be completely removed or reworked so it doens't prevent dmg to units behind it at all.
  9. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

I use more like 2-3 walls per turret. It stops armies in their tracks.. again.. probably way to OP. However maybe not? Should I win if I am able to defend your army with 15 engies because you arn't microing it and my ecom is still really good I just need to survive your attack wave?
  10. stormingkiwi

I disagree with removing it.

I think it's an issue with how walls are currently implemented - I don't think that walls should be counted as hostile structures. Your units should not preferentially shoot at a wall rather than shoot at the turret. The "health bonus" that comes from a wall should come from it blocking shots deigned for something else, not because all your units are shooting at a wall at their 12 o'clock and ignoring the turret at their 3.

I kind of think if something has radar coverage only, it should still shoot at walls. But if it has los as well it should shoot at the higher value targets.
    ghost1107 and Murcanic like this.
  11. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Wall spam is fine now. I have no beef with it. Personally I'd rather build something that fires back. But now with aoe, walls not being prioritized and their cost I feel they have some appeal and functions in games.
  12. stormingkiwi

Are walls not being prioritised? Because my units quite happily prioritise them. And so do the AI's. Which of course, doesn't micromanage properly.

So it's no longer a gentlemans rule, and I can perfect my ability to create beautiful fortifications?
  13. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Units targeting the walls 1st really wouldn't make a difference for my tatic.... It's my "outpost" tatic from TA.. The units no get a chance to move around the wall. I make the wall almost like a box so they litterally have to go around it and fill the box with T1-T2 guns.

I'm all for keeping them the way it is.. I am a master at making defences in seconds hehehe.
  14. stormingkiwi

That's true. I've had cases where walls are perpendicular to defences and my overzealous tank blob destroys them, taking far too many casualties as it does so.

Isn't the right solution to defensive emplacements blitzkrieg, more artillery and vicious application of bombers?

No one knows how to use combined forces to take their objective, that's the problem. Everyone really really wants to just rely on levellers, and forget about every other unit.
  15. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

I wish this was the view instead of, why no I able to kill you with ant spam.. ur being cheesy :(.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  16. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Not 100% on the prioritisation but a patch was released where it said walls will no longer be prioritised. They are still an enemy structure so will be shot if nothing else is within range.

I remember cola_colin saying we would give them a chance and if they remained op then he would change the rule back. But old habits die hard and gentleman games never seem to spam them. Well unless I typo and build them on all my mex spots.
  17. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between walls in TA and walls in PA. It TA walls block everything. In PA they are a magical barrier that intercepts enemy attacks.

To make walls balanced they need to act the same for you and your enemy.
  18. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If they can't kill you with a tank swarm, then they are not macroing enough and need to surround your positions.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  19. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

And what about unit's that can actually shoot over them like towers?
    spazzdla likes this.
  20. stormingkiwi

If you look very carefully at the design of a tower, it's designed to fire over a wall.

I'll check it out in future games then. Thanks for that. I guess I've stopped bothering to watch, I just micro.

XD. Dude you're typoing wrong. Build powergens on mexes.
    Clopse likes this.