2 months to release and the game feels like pre-alpha and is a letdown. Please delay the release.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by larse, October 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doud

doud Well-Known Member

While i'm waiting for lots of stuff Zepilot has talked about, i'm also waiting for the Units Canon :p
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  2. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

Actually, I disagree.
    I mean, sure, if PA copied the UI from SupCom verbatim, it would obviously be sub-par.
    That's because PA is a much, MUCH more complicated battlefield.

But the UI shouldn't need to be a trade-off.
    Except from a budgetary standpoint, but that's a whole different conversation.
  3. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

The main problem is the vision blockage, for example, topology wise multiple looping rectangles are more complex than multiple spheres, but since it's possible to display them all in a single plane without distortion, a proper UI for them would actually be simpler.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I have a middle ground opinion. If for any reason Uber needs more time to release the game, they should delay releasing it, but should move it to an all-preorder beta, where anyone buying it for preorder release price is given beta access, and allowed to play until the game does finish for release.

This can be modified as well to just allow preorders up to that time in, and delay new ones to release, in order to emphasize that it isn't open release. Heck, at that rate you can even call it a surprise extended game testing and you can name it "theda" or something.
    doud likes this.
  5. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Gamma testing? Give all the people who pre-ordered during beta access, but not go into open release?

Possibly followed by delta testing?

I am surprisingly OK with this idea, since it means nothing except Uber doesn't believe the game is release-ready yet, but is still honoring their promise to give people who ordered access on time.
    PANCZASU and cwarner7264 like this.
  6. arsene

arsene Active Member

I just think it's a bit weird that only a month before release they are still saying: "nothing is set in stone, we may delay the game, we may release on the promised date". Shouldn't there be some sort of announcement by now? My personal guess is that they're going to delay the game for 2-3 months or so, in which case the late announcement time is probably acceptable.
  7. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Delays are often not announced until the very last minut. basically i wouldent be suprised if it were delayed the day before release.
  8. arsene

arsene Active Member

But do you think that would say some things about the length of the delay? I don't think they would delay for more than a few months if they were going to do such a late announcement. If they wanted to delay for more than half a year they would have said so by now I think.
  9. garatgh

garatgh Active Member

Perhaps its more likely if they wish to delay it for a longer time.

But it still wouldent suprise me they said that they will delay it half a year the day before release.

Off course i wouldent be that suprised if they make the release date either, they have done aloot of stuff in insanely little time.
  10. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

They would announce it at last minute so they can set up a new prediction on when next release date would be with less chance of having to move it again.
    They are most likely not saying that they are definitely delay the game or they would be flooded with every one asking when it is ready.
    Hence the hint that uber can delay PA

Sometimes fans are their own worst enemy
    Grimseff and thetrophysystem like this.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'm hoping by now Uber has learned to not do this.

Mike
    stormingkiwi and cmdandy like this.
  12. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Not really the last minute.

Uber is doing the final rush now, there is no need to rush the development if their expected schedule date is half a year away or there will be a gamma testing period, but a short delay is only enough for finishing the promised features.
    Last edited: November 11, 2013
  13. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Also, people need to release that a lot is not going out to us in the builds. They've done major UI work, but since it's not quite done, they aren't pushing it out (I would be amused if we got a more 'strategic' view but couldn't command units or some such). Alack of visible progress only means that Uber does not feel that something is quite baked enough. Think of it not as they are hiding things, but your 'some assembly required' features are not yet fully assembled, so you only get the whole ones. Progress is not always visible to users, anyone who develops software should of some form should know this.

Uber is big(as in adult) enough to admit if they need to delay the date of release when they need to as much as they need to. They have always said they can not give reliable estimates for dates because of the process they use, which is fairly standard. They also are going to be more obsessed about getting the game right than you, so lets chill. It's fine to say "I'm concerned because of X", but this going on and on about this is only going to cause people on all sides to start to get angsty.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  14. doud

doud Well-Known Member

If i were you i would stop trying to speculate about all of this. Uber will do what's best for us and Uber. Uber has no interest at all in taking the risk of ruining their fame by putting out a game which is not ready for release. Now also keep in mind PA is not a one shot. It'an ongoing game which might not be released with all expected stuff. What would be wrong with that ? PA is not meant for the vast community of people playing COD. It'meant for players looking for original TA game style. We're not that much compared to other RTS styles. Provided there's enough promising stuff in final release it will be ok. I have not doubt that PA will get improved over time after initial release. Plus remember at some point we'll have the server released to modders and all modding stuff available. The current release requires of course improvements. But we're not far from having a solid game base that will get improved by Uber and the community.
  15. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

Making games is a business. Even without a publisher, flexibility of schedule would still be limited by many elements other than quality control. Also gain some bad fame among RTS community won't be the doomsday for Uber, it's not like F2P crowd really care about what RTS game they made.

So far Neutrino seems to be a relatively conservative designer, by imposing spherical planets on him, perhaps we already doomed this game? Having multiple sphereical battlefields while keeping the most other things conservative (especially UI and automations) always sound questionable to me.

Hope I'm over wrong, just a minimap and split camera will be enough for this game, and unit managements are not intentionally simplified for the potential UI problems.
  16. KNight

I'm pretty sure Spherical planets were already on the To-Do list even before we got involved.

Mike
    Quitch likes this.
  17. qwerty3w

qwerty3w Active Member

The idea of faked spheres got a lot of negative feedbacks as soon as that interview was released, the kickstarter would be hurt if that negativity spread out, I still think it is the main reason we get real spheres.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well copying it integrally is the baby steps. the UI is inferior to supcom's, which itself is inferior to modded faf. Let the experience of the forebears be of aid, don't turn it down.
  19. KNight

The point is that regardless of HOW they did it, PA was always going to have combat across spheres.

What changed was the implementation of spheres, not the idea of spheres in general.

Mike
    Last edited: November 12, 2013
  20. Z3K0N15

Z3K0N15 Active Member

well,judging from this thread,is that a lot of the players want this to be delayed and I have to agree.With only two months left im very skeptical about how its going to turn out with all the amount of work that needs to be done.personally Im starting to lose interest which is insane but hopefully Uber can change that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.