CoD: Ghosts

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by turbonerd, October 23, 2013.

1. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

What do you mean by popular? Why would you buy the CoD on Xbox instead of PC when the PC playerbase is probably the biggest after CS in FPS games, it surely would keep you occupied until the next installment in the series. Hell, even Modern Warfare 2 has pubs still running 24/7.
  2. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

By popular I mean that the game has enough players that I can play it at any time of the day in any game mode I want, which some games don't have. I also said one that isn't a worse port, since CoD on the PC isn't supported as well as it is on console by Infinity Ward. A big reason I didn't mention is that all of my IRL friends play console instead of PC and since I enjoy playing in a party I rather play on xbox. As for older CoD games on PC, they all have ridiculous settings and are never 6v6 which really annoys me.
  3. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

You don't have to limit yourself to games that have been out for less than a year.

www.quakelive.com

better yet: www.playmorepromode.org
  4. teju__

teju__ Active Member

What a surprise :p

I don't think those are active enough to play any mode at any time of the day though (at least from my experiance with quake live it can involve some waiting time).
    Also is CPMA a standalone thing? I always thought you had to have q3 in order to play it.
  5. thebigpill

Innorite, nobody saw that one coming!

Quake Live is pretty active nowadays (at least in EU, it's 'dead' anywhere else). You can play a duel any time of the day, some ca and some ffa in pubs and ctf and tdm in pickups. CPM is a different story ofc, but I can still get in +2 hours a day in duels easily.

CPMA isn't standalone, because it uses a lot of the original Q3 assets. There have been plans to make a standalone version for years now, but nobody is holding their breath over that anymore. It's pretty easy to get quake 3 without paying nowadays anyway, especially since most servers stopped checking for a valid cd key years ago.
  6. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Any time I've stumbled onto Quake Live, there's always a couple dozen populated games running. There's also Warsow, and TF2, and Counter Strike, and ARMA III, and Payday 2, and all the other shooters on PC you're just ignoring; and that's only mildly recent games. Ignoring older games is pretty naive, they can often have pretty dedicated playerbases and offer a fun older style of gameplay.
  7. thebigpill

Warsow is the completely dead. Back when I played ±20 wsw duels a day I could actually see how my activity affected the entire scene.
  8. JammySTB

JammySTB Well-Known Member

I expect it will get a lot more players when it's released on Steam.
  9. thebigpill

For like a month maybe yea. I actually witnessed your average console gamer playing Warsow last week. He raged within 2 minutes, stayed on the server for 30 minutes calling everybody else a nolifer nerd and then complained the community wasn't noob friendly when we called him a ****. He did calm down in the end though and admitted he was just too terrible to play a real fps.

Favorite quote: "Pill, are you like sprinting?"
  10. kvalheim

Weird, we were playing it for our university's LAN society, and on the online match list there were quite a few matches going
  11. thebigpill

When was that? There's still a decent number of cups going on in warsow, so maybe that's what you were seeing. Plus, I don't count clan arena and instagib servers - which are the most active servers - because that's not real quake anyway.
  12. kvalheim

It was about a month ago.
  13. thebigpill

I was out on morphine at the hospital around that time, so I have no idea if something cup-ish was going on at that time.
  14. teju__

teju__ Active Member

You rascal!:D
    I might give it a try then, even though my spectacular 2/30 Win/Loss rate in quake live duel makes me hesitate about switching to an even more difficult version.

This went off topic pretty quickliy. I guess this video might bring it back to the rather boring topic at hand:
  15. kvalheim

I can't believe they still use the exact same bloodyscreensoreal overlay from CoD4, it looks hideously ugly
  16. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

We get it. You don't like CoD games.
  17. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

seriously. nitpick harder
  18. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

This gamemode looks fun though I don't know if it's a good idea to add even more speed into the gameplay.
  19. teapot

teapot Post Master General

As a console FPS player I can assure you I've been disappointed and let down with various games or developers over the years. The biggest case being the horror story that is known as Halo.

That said, this game was actually a big let down to me. Not because I was hyped on anything specific, but maybe because black ops 2 was a solid/smooth close range run and gun game. Good balance, and basically had as much competitive spirit as CoD can get. The main reason why I'm let down is because this is literally the same game over, and over, and over, and over. It's my fault for buying something that has changed so little throughout the years, but in this case, the theory is the same but the core game feels different.

I should have known IW wouldn't have launched a great title right off the bat. I'm hoping their DLC's save them, and they fix the spawn issues.
    naka333 likes this.
  20. turbonerd

turbonerd Member

After playing it a lot more the flaws are really starting to show.