"Reverse Move" command for units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by shotforce13, November 6, 2013.

1. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

I like the kitting aspect of tank warfare but think it would be nice to have a unit "reverse move" command hotkey. Instead of turning around they can just move backwards.

This would come in handy if your units out range the incoming enemy
    Armor or bots.
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

If these units can shoot backwards anyway then it's just cosmetics.

However, if these units can't, then it'd be cool to have.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I think that goes too far into micro. Useful in games like Company of Heroes where facing is a big deal, but I don't think it should have a home here.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I honestly don't see the point, In a game where units can move and shoot and have proper turrets you don't need for them to have a move backwards command. and if the difference between kiting right or getting shot at is that small I don't think it's actually a kiting unit to begin with.

Mike
  5. slywynsam

slywynsam Active Member

It's more useful in a game like CoH where facing actually matters because, say, a tank takes extra damage from behind than the front.

Here that doesn't seem to be the case, so unless they implement something like that it would just be cosmetic.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The point is, they just start backing up rather than take a few seconds to turn around. This is more noticeable with tanks.

Would give a distinct advantage to micro players.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  7. KNight

Yes I get the point, but if that small time frame is the deciding matter to whether or not can kite another unit, it probably wasn't intended for kiting from the beginning.

Or it just means you have poor unit control altogether.

Mike
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'd agree with you there. It's just too much micro. If you're focused that much on micro, then you've probably lost the match.

Was just trying to explain the possible benefit.
  9. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I really like the idea but I think it would add a bit of extra complexity and micro which isn't good for the game.
    bradburning likes this.
  10. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I remember this feature in world in conflict with tanks that took damage accordingly with the direction they faced to the enemy. Since there is no advantage to having your units face a particular way in PA to fire it makes having it not necessary... Yet.

I think its a welcome addition to the game honestly for three reasons.

Increased Unit variety that doesn't involve fire rate and shot timing. If units can have directional combat, then this allows for another layer of unit complexity that can be defined for each unit.

Units with fixed direction cannon can fire while moving backwards from their enemy. When in full retreat they can still be effective towards the enemy. Would open up a class of specialized units that need more micro to be more powerful... Which is interesting.

Having a reverse move can be utilized for tank units to absorb damage from the front better...Pretty much the reverse of what I said earlier but you get the jist.

All of this however is game mechanics that have to be looked into to see if its possible in the current engine. Honestly it can be a toggle if people are worried if units move in reverse all the time or not.
    Last edited: November 7, 2013
    shotforce13 likes this.
  11. KNight

See the problem I have with something like this is you end up in a situations whee you de-emphasize proper placement and shift the focus more so on kiting when the unit's intent was properly not kiting at all to begin with.

Mike
    Quitch likes this.
  12. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Kiting happens with all units and happens more often with the speedier units.

Proper placement is more essential with fixed turret weaponry since being flanked or surrounded has a stronger effect on these units then lets say the Ant or leveler. No matter how powerful a fixed turret or tanker unit is, they have a weakness just as bad to offset their abilities.

Their ability to move backwards while firing is only relevant if the army they are fighting is always in front of them. If the army decides to split and surround the foe, the tanks have to divide their forces or else face a problem of being vulnerable in one direction. Forcing the fixed turret attacker to decide how to attack his foe.

I'll admit that its an added layer of complexity but I feel it would give advanced units a valid weakness instead of just being overall better in every way possible.
  13. shotforce13

its amazing how fast suggestions are shot down here, the point with reverse move is getting missed so i guess i have to explain more.

if unit X has a 100 range gun and unit Z has a 50 range gun....Unit Z is coming toward my formation of unit X, when my units start to engage unit Z because i have the range advantage i would use reverse move to wipe out unit Z without being touched by his weapons.

now this happened to me the other night on a metal planet:

i was making my way to the AI base with 75 ants and started to cross a bridge, got attacked by a group of dox,s that i could not see because we dont have a radar unit, when i did what you said to do "i clicked back behind my units" to turn them around, they got stuck trying to go back the other way and i lost every single ant i had out there...pretty stupid, if i would have had reverse move i could have just went backwards on the same pathfinding line i came in on, there would be no jam of units and i would have had a good chance to push him back. it stuns me how many good ideas ive seen in these forums, just to be shot down by someones one sided opinion. bots can kit, tanks cannot.
    lokiCML likes this.
  14. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Absolutely, Be a really useful key to have.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  15. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

If this didn't require a separate key, it wouldn't be a problem.
    Please, think of the modders!
  16. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

I'm thinking of modders. I believe it rather do something much more interesting.
  17. KNight

You don't need a special command to do that thought.

Mike
  18. shotforce13

19. shotforce13

sorry guys, stupid cellphone.

You don't need a special command to do that thought.

but you do, tanks almost come to a halt to turn around, allowing unit Z to close the gap, make sense?
    if i move left or right, im no longer closing or widening the gap between the units. it adds a small tactical aspect to mobile combat.

don't get me wrong fellas, i love and respect the modding community, but one button will not kill your mod.

im not looking for an argument here, i get that enough at work.:)
  20. KNight

No, what you need then is better situational awareness so that you can carry out actions at teh appropriate time instead of using a button as a crutch.

Mike
    Quitch likes this.