How To Improve Performance (All Video Cards) + (Driver links)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by maxpowerz, October 22, 2013.

1. thedbp

thedbp Member

2. orkimedes

orkimedes New Member

I can't seem to get my framerate stable, and it rarely-if ever surpasses 17fps, usually avaraging out at 12-ish with current settings. I've tried updating the drivers, disabling steam overlay, etc, but nothing that seems to really help significantly. To be honest, this is the lowest performance I've come across in any game I've ever played and I haven't got a clue what's causing it.

settings: lowest. (everything off or on lowest settings)
    native resolution: 1920 x 1080
    rendering resolution: 75%
    general system specs:
    AMD Phenom (II) X6 1090T 3.2GHz (with turbo to 3.6GHz)
    AMD Radeon HD 6970
    64-bit DxDiag included below.

Attached Files:

3. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Can you Lower the desktop resolution to 1360x768 and try playing again and tell what if the in game FPS counter stabilizes.
    Please remember the game is in development, performance will improve as the developers finish adding new features and start working on optimizing RAM and GPU usage and many other things they plan to implement.
    Your system configuration is ok there is no issues there, the performance issue you appear to be having is something many ATI users have an issue with.
    This will improve in future builds.

If lowering your desktop resolution to 1360x768 or 1280x720 fails to improve performance please contact me again and i will find another solution to try to help improve performance.
  4. orkimedes

orkimedes New Member

When I changed desktop resolution to 1280x720 without changing the game settings (so still at 75% resolution scaling. I also tried without it, but the 75% setting had slightly improved performance) The game stabilised at around 9.5 frames per second. (note that this is still early game, I haven't tried lategame scenarios).

EDIT: though it stabilised in the sense that there were no significant spikes either way, it still fluctuated between ~8.6 and ~10.2 which is actually not very stable at all if you look at the percentiles. But I digress. Thankfully, nearly every patch so far has come with performance increases :3

5. maxpowerz

Can you try my "Performance Boost Mod v2"
    I originally designed this mod as a fix for ATI card user suffering performance issues.

Hopefully it should assist you like it did many other ATI card users having single digit framerate issues.
    Here's my original thread on the topic.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/ati-cards-fix.53219/

Please let me know if this help's improve your game performance :)
    Last edited: March 15, 2015
  6. orkimedes

orkimedes New Member

Using the mod, framerate went up to a stable 10.1 or 10.2 during early game, though this predictably deteriorated as the game became more populated. I also tried the slowbars mod (mentioned in the OP), but it, for some reason, proved to be slightly impacting performance in the opposite direction of the desired result. I also tried the 1280x768 resolution setting on the off chance that a not-native aspect ratio might be doing something weird (it didn't).
    Game settings remained unchanged, though I swapped back and forth with the resolution scaling between 100% and 75% just to check if it was working as intended. (it was).
    maxpowerz likes this.
  7. maxpowerz

Thank-you for your feedback :)
    I will try to revise the performance boost mod for this build of PA (v.56516) and i will upload it to the performance boost mod thread and alert you when its finished.
    In my last test it had minimal impact on improving performance on my intel HD chipset i just hadn't gotten around to updating it yet to improve it. (the mod was made for the v.549xx build).

Once i have updated the mod I hope it will assists more in improving performance.
    I will also alert a developer about this issue to see if i can help provide more useful assistance :)
  8. orkimedes

orkimedes New Member

Thanks in advance! keep up the good work :3
  9. zemaus

zemaus New Member

Sorry to bother you all but i tried these suggestions and i still cant seem to get past 20 fps alot of the time :( Ima leave the DX below.

Attached Files:

10. maxpowerz

I have alerted the developers to your issues. they are currently working on improving performance with the virtual texturing system and some ATI/AMD fixes, hopefully things should improve for you soon.

Im still working on updating my performance boost mod as an interim fix, but i am nowhere near the skills of the developers so i have to do a lots of trial and error testing to get things working nicely
    (this takes me a long time unfortunatley, it may take me a day or 2 just to revise which shaders to remove without affecting graphics or making PA.exe crash while still improving performance)
    Last edited: November 11, 2013
    Snckrz likes this.
  11. maxpowerz

Edited first post :)

Added.
    Better formatting,
    More up to date information,
    Link to brianpurkiss's FAQ !!! <-- check it out !!!

To add still..
    Updated screenshots from current build :)
  12. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

how to open video card control center with nvidia?
  13. maxpowerz

what version of windows?

Here's 3 way i can think of..

1, "Right-Click" desktop
    2, In drop-down list there is option there to open "nVidia control panel"

---------
    1, Right Click desktop ,
    2, Click "Screen Resolution"
    3, On that page there will be "Advanced Settings" Click this word.
    4, New window pop up with lots of info.. go to last tab, It should be labeled "nVidia" or whatever brand you GPU is.. :)
    5, In that Tab is the "nVidia Control panel" link.

---------
    1, Click Start button.
    2, Click Control Panel.
    3, Find "Veiw by" and set it to "Small icon" or "Large icon" , Do not set it to "Catergory" :( it hard to find things in the category view :(
    4, Click nVidia Contorol panel.

I hope this help you..

If you need help with anything else let me know i'm always happy to assist :)
  14. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

this is for Max
    here is my dxdiag

Attached Files:

15. maxpowerz

your good here ,, everything seem upto date..

hmm, quick question..
    When you suffer bad performance is frame-rate bad (below 15fps) (Press "ctrl - p" 1 time to get FPS counter)
    Or do units just random jump from here to there but things still seem smooth (FPS >15 but units stutter when moving)
  16. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

(windows type is Win 7 64bit and ram is 8gb)
    the units seem take much to take an order
    when i order the commander to build mexs it take about 50 seconds to show what is happening

eg (A= i able to see whats happening and give orders, while ?= the game is in temporarily freeze, but the server is active) that whats happen when i succesfully start a game vs AI
    AAAA????????????AAA???????AAA???????AAAA?????????????????????????AAAAA?????????????????????A???AA

and one more thing when i press ctrl F11 nothing happens
    Last edited: December 15, 2013
  17. maxpowerz

when you press F11 you wont see anything happen. it just records a log file..

bad internet connection is causing your performance issues :(
    I suffer exact same issue when my internet speed lowers.

At this point in time the game runs on the server, you program is just a "Window" to the game on the server.
    If your internet speed drop below 200kb/s (2meg connection) then game will stutter and pause while data is sync'd between client and server..
    Game needs lots of internet power for good online play.
    Until game is released if you have bad internet you will always suffer this performance issue...
    When the game is released you will not suffer this problem as you wont need to connect to internet to play game,it will run entirely on your pc not the server..
  18. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

when i first started playing the connection was slow but OK(i was able to play a game vs 1 to 4 player FFA), now its very slow( i can barely play a vs AI match)
  19. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Just upgraded to Radeon 7750HD and doubled fps of game over integrated graphics. I have a dual boot system with archlinux and windoze 7. Running an amd A10-5800 3.8GHhz 8GB ram with 7660D radeon igpu and for a while had no video card. Using Catalyst 13.9 on windows and catalyst beta 13.11 on linux, also works on 13.4 but fps little lower on 7750, however fps is higher with 13.4 on integrated 7660D indicating beta drivers don't work as well for older cards on linux. Got Sapphire radeon with 2GB "ddr3" only but still runs twice the fps indicating memory quantity more important for this game than bandwidth although higher speed video ram the better. Not running crossfire or anything, in archlinux when I 1st loaded the game it crashed at menu but discovered hdmi audio running so disabled it not video driver problem at all then game ran smooth even with large systems with scale 4 and 5 planets. In windows 7 could run game on two separate monitors with 2 separate video cards with window spread out on both screens with no crossfire and fps only dropped a little. Have ASrock motherboard with special surround view feature in the bios which helps running integrated graphics and video card together with no crossfire. I've been able to excede 1GB v-ram with large solar systems but haven't pushed it close to 2GB yet so still well within v-ram constraints with 2GB. On my system soundcard Auzentech Bravura (CA0110 chipset) uses IntelHD audio driver module for alsa same as what AMD HDMI driver uses. Integrated HDMI is disabled in the bios but had to bind the video card hdmi to the PCI-Stub driver on boot to block alsa from seeing it. Can also configure asound.rc file to set default soundcard but with hdmi blocked you can run hardware sound acceleration in alsa if your soundcard supports it in case anyone is interested in my ramble of info.

echo "1002 aab0" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/new_id
    echo "0000:01:00.1" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pci-stub/bind
    Last edited: December 16, 2013
    maxpowerz likes this.
  20. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member