Differenciated Radar Blips and The General Approach to Intel

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, July 8, 2013.

?

Should radar blips :

1. be like now

62 vote(s)
    29.4%
  2. be more in depth suppressing some micro

149 vote(s)
    70.6%
  1. ghost1107

ghost1107 Active Member

Very true 47 voters are hardly the majority of the players and doesn't give a clear vision about what the majority wants. However, it may still hold some truth.

I think a poll does hold value. It shows the opinions of the readers of the topic. If you don't vote I think you either don't care about the topic or you are not motivated enough to contribute to that part of the discussion. By using a poll it might be a lot easier to understand the general way thought in a thread. It also gives a fast general impression, opposted to reading 10pages.

Personaly, I just want to see and know more about different kinds of radar and how they work ,effect scouting and impact the rest of the game.
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

3. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

i want blips for scouted buildings.. its incredibly hard to find an enemy base you scouted on the dark side of a planet for example.
    beer4blood and stormingkiwi like this.
  4. Culverin

Culverin Post Master General

What's the point of visual sight?
    Weapon Accuracy.

Shooting at a radar target in fog-of-war should lower your accuracy.
    So Line of Sight is the best way for your units to shoot.
    That way, we can retain the "smarter" radar like in SupCom, but now there's an added layer of fun.

In Lore:
    Radar signatures are "fuzzy" you can't approximate size or shape all that well.
    But but you can tell "X"-unit is a tank, or a bot, a structure, or artillery.
    But since the radar sig whould be a "fuzzy" radar signature (in lore, but not in-game) spotters mean your very futuristic and smart robot forces are all connected by the same targeting computer.

Game Mechanics:
    Shooting into fog-of-war = inherently a lower accuracy.
    Similar to how artillery behaves with a randomized "fire zone", all weapons will be slightly less accurate.
    This makes spotters more important, and constantly scouting is more important if you want to make use of the weapon range > view range mechanic (Just like in Total Annihilation).

In short, keep the radar as powerful as in SupCom,
    but take the complexity 1 level further.
    Complex = good. More emergent player tactics/behavior.
    Complicated = bad. More convoluted and inconsistent game mechanics.

The question is, can the game simulation handle this?
    yrrep likes this.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

not to mention If your guns had the range for it you could shoot things in fog of war that you didn't have radar coverage on.

the blips on scouted buildings where especially usefull for this.
  6. Ludsoe

Ludsoe New Member

Has anybody here built advanced orbital radar? In my game i have both a normal orbital radar.... and a Advanced version that gives me LOS of entire planets I build it at. Im all for giving radar icons but when theres a unit that gives you line of sight on a entire planet it kind of ruins the point.
  7. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

Orbital stuff needs to (and will) be rebalanced anyway. Personally I think that range of basic orbital should be about the same as advanced ground (or less) and range of advanced orbital should be about the same as basic ground (or less).
  8. Culverin

That's how TA worked.

Sometimes, in my derpy games vs the AI, I would just bertha spam, and blind focus fire into the fog-of-war.
    You target on radar, and you just watch the fog.
    When you see the explosion, then you know you can move on and switch targets.
  9. tatsujb

balance isn't the question here : you don't access avd radar until late phases of the game and even then you probably don't have one on evey planet so you'll spend a lot of time working with normal radar.
  10. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Nope doing so kills advanced sat....... why is everyone bending over to think of noobs???? Didn't we all start there recently in this game??? Did you whine and cry and quit playing??? Or did you discover efficient strategies and tactics???? They will learn just as those before them. Please don't kill this game in their interest....... next thing will be someone wanting to have a second comm life or something silly like that.....smdh
  11. GoogleFrog

GoogleFrog Active Member

So, are you going to disable force firing at the ground or will you make force firing into the fog inaccurate as well? Spring has radar dots which wobble around the location of the unit which sort of implements this behaviour but in a way which doesn't make units suddenly poor at aiming.
  12. Culverin

I was thinking that the radar strat icons would just be maybe fuzzy around the edges?
    Or muted, denoting an "approximation".

The wobble makes a lot of sense though, is it distracting?
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I don't understand what you're saying.

If you were targeting radar blips on the minimap then you wouldn't need to know to switch targets because you'd queue your attack commands.

If you were targeting random areas hoping for hits, then that's not using radar.
  14. TehOwn

TehOwn Member

With our current technology Radar targeting is extremely accurate. It'd make no sense to claim that it's inaccurate in PA universe.

With Radar ranges being so small in PA, compared to SupCom, I don't see it being an issue to maintain information and differentiation while under radar coverage.

I honestly can't see a single reason to differentiate from Radar behavior as it is in SupCom.

The biggest, urgent change that needs to happen is that ghosted buildings need strategic icons.
    Apheirox likes this.
  15. tatsujb

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...xed-land-radar-blips.49424/page-2#post-764593
  16. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I don't like it. It's nice to be able to differentiate between immediate threats and blips. Too many icons will just add to all the confusion.

If your curious about a blip scout it. Defenders advantage is a major part of this game and this can only widen the gap. Being able to Use your pelters to attack their artillery before they get in range would a sin.
    beer4blood likes this.
  17. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Your point???? Seems you want simply a fully automated game where you just control armies........ bigger planets means more people per planet thus you're better neighbors so t1 radar is still viable. T1 radar is only useless if you're a turtle. My second or third fab craps out radar all over the planet to three point that I really forget to place t2 radar. Strategy my friend you should always be scouting and placing radar .........

Just wait for updates before jumping so quickly aboard the ASSumption train and trying to bring us with you. I will agree that to liked SC where once scouted is always scouted. But that's it none of this distinguishing of units before visual contact. I also throw a vote in for buildings you scout remain a blip on planet even out of radar coverage or perhaps some form of markers created by initial scouting run. That's where a lot of micro comes from for me. Having to watch my scout so I can remember exactly where that enemy base was. Or zooming in and trying retrace its steps or entering the chrono cam. To early in the game to break concentration from my initial build order setup......
  18. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Agreed on the residual radar blips on previously scouted buildings. And they should stay even if the object is destroyed until re-scouted and confirmed of its existance. As for units, they can behave as is. This was a supcom thing as far as I remember but it is also a bit of a no-brainer as far as game design goes. I am sure its already on the table.
    beer4blood likes this.
  19. tatsujb

that was before orbital existed.... way before. will you please read?

read ahead. go on.
  20. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

From a gameplay standpoint I think I prefer the current method. I feel like radar can make things too easy for the guy with the static defenses, even now. Give him even more long range information and you might as well just remove the fog of war within radar range.
    beer4blood likes this.